New labels and tax to tackle Thailand's junk food problem

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: New labels and tax to tackle Thailand's junk food problem

Post by Takiap »

As I have said before, you can ban sugar and every other sweetener on the planet, and the general population will not lose any weight at all. When you spend you sitting on your ass and/or eating massive portions or eating smaller portions virtually non stop, then you are going to be overweight, it is as simple as that.

At one of my local shops, there are about 8 family members, and the only ones who are not overweight are the two adult men, and one of the three kids. The other two kids look as if they are about to pop, and yet, they almost certainly consume less sugary drinks and snacks than my own kids do, and my kids are nowhere near to being overweight.
The problem down at the shop is that you can walk in there at any time of the day or evening, and you will never see fewer that about 6 different bowls and plates full of food, most of which has been fried. Added to this is the fact that everyone there does nothing other than eat and play with their phones. There's constantly at least one of them sitting and eating at the table, and by the time the last one has eaten, the first one is ready to take their place.

What I personally don't like is the idea of having a government telling me what I can and what I cannot eat. Democracy is meant to be all about protecting your freedom; freedom of religion; freedom of speech, and etc. so how about having the freedom to chose for myself the foods I wish to eat.

Control sugar today, but what comes next? Are we slowly but surely going to be forced to eat only what a particular group decide we can eat? :cuss:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Takiap,

Very true. I'm a firm believer in watching the quantity of what I eat. Otherwise I eat what I want. That said, my preference tends to lean toward meats and vegetables, heavier on the vegetable side. I prefer not to eat sauces/condiments added to the already cooked food. Fillers such as rice are a very small part of my diet, even here in Thailand.

As for the sugar replacements, the issue has been the quantity manufacturers need to add to their products in order to get the taste right for the consumer.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

RCer

Yep, I tend to eat along the same lines as you do, but I tend to be heavier on the meat than I am on veg, but these days I generally try to balance the two since I prepare most of the meals for my kids, and obviously I realize the importance of vegetables for them. Fortunately, I benefit from that as well. :thumb:

PS: Fillers like rice also don't play much of a role in my diet.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact