Blood Pressure Clinic

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Julie1209
Novice
Novice

Blood Pressure Clinic

Post by Julie1209 »

Does anyone know of a blood pressure clinic in Hua Hin? Thanks
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Blood Pressure Clinic

Post by handdrummer »

any hospital, government hospital is the cheapest, will have a blood pressure clinic. if all you want to do is monitor your blood pressure you can purchase a monitor, if you need medication and know what you need and the medication is sold over the counter then any pharmacy will do. if you want to lower your blood pressure without medication there is an acupuncture clinic at the government hospital and a Chinese herbalist on petchasem rd. if you want to take western herbs you can check the iherb.com website. they will ship to Thailand.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

there is a problem about having your BP taken. if you are apprehensive going to a clinic having your BP taken it will raise your BP. this is why a home monitor is useful.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

handdrummer wrote:any hospital, government hospital is the cheapest, will have a blood pressure clinic. if all you want to do is monitor your blood pressure you can purchase a monitor, if you need medication and know what you need and the medication is sold over the counter then any pharmacy will do. if you want to lower your blood pressure without medication there is an acupuncture clinic at the government hospital and a Chinese herbalist on petchasem rd. if you want to take western herbs you can check the iherb.com website. they will ship to Thailand.
.......and there is a Blood Pressure Clinic (Hua Hin Lab Centre) approx 200m before Big C but on the opposite side of Pa La U Road (Soi 70) road
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Julie1200

I'm on BP lowering drugs in U.K. and monitor my BP once a day (evenings) with my own monitor.

Do you think you have a low/high BP problem?

As has been said, having a test done at a clinic can cause false readings (the white coat syndrome) and in turn the doctor can give incorrect treatment, which can do more harm than good.

My advice for what it's worth, is get yourself a monitor ( the upper arm cuff type, the wrist ones are crap) and monitor yourself for a month, that will give you a good average of your highs (or lows if that is your problem) then take your results to a good cardiologist for a consultion and if required, treatment.

Hearts are funny things and don't like being pumped full of the wrong drugs, which will ruin your day.

Obviously, if you feel that you are suffering from serious heart problems (angina, dizzy spells, ETC) at the moment, then get yourself to a cardiologist ASAP.

:thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Khundon1975 wrote:Julie1200

My advice for what it's worth, is get yourself a monitor ( the upper arm cuff type, the wrist ones are crap) and monitor yourself for a month, that will give you a good average of your highs (or lows if that is your problem) then take your results to a good cardiologist for a consultion and if required, treatment.

:thumb:
My US doctor recommended this same idea. He also wanted me to bring in the machine so he could check it out
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Yes Migrant my GP does the same with me on my annual GP checkup.

She tests it against her sphygmomanometer (the manual BP monitor that comes with a stethoscope and the mercury measurment) and it is always spot on, thank God. :D
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

the best time to get the most accurate reading is 20 mins. after you've woken up, after a nights sleep, and have moved around, not eaten or drunk anything and preferably at the same time each day.
if you need to lower your blood pressure google "yoga for lowering blood pressure". there's a you tube video that shows an exercise that takes about 2 min. take your pressure before and after the exercise, you'll lower your pressure from 10 to 20 points or more points.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

The above poster is right. The blood pressure result you get from a hospital is usually misleading because you have just arrived by some sort of transport being active, got through reception and moved around only to be hurried through the mandatory blood pressure test before seeing the doctor.

There is also something called "white coat hypertension" which is anxiety related which happens to many people when in hospitals and increases their blood pressure.

Secondly, you need to take your blood pressure when at rest...which means sitting and relaxing in a chair for 10-15 minutes. Of course, your blood pressure will be high when you are moving around....just standing up makes your blood pressure increase. Many people are on blood pressure medicine and shouldn't be.

Buy a home monitor and measure it every morning after you get up and have had a shower and done a few things..then sit down in a chair and take it after 10-15 minutes....that will be a much more accurate reading.

No coffee, no food, no talking whilst you are doing it and make sure you don't have a full bladder as they can all influence (increase) the reading to give a wrong one. If you do all these things then these monitors are accurate.

If the monitor has a setting where it won't start unless it is in the right position, which is level with the heart, then use it.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Spitfire wrote:The above poster is right. The blood pressure result you get from a hospital is usually misleading because you have just arrived by some sort of transport being active, got through reception and moved around only to be hurried through the mandatory blood pressure test before seeing the doctor.

There is also something called "white coat hypertension" which is anxiety related which happens to many people when in hospitals and increases their blood pressure.
Doctors know this, and interpret accordingly.
Spitfire wrote:If the monitor has a setting where it won't start unless it is in the right position, which is level with the heart, then use it.
Say what? The cuff should be at the same height as the heart.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Those home wrist monitors dude. Should have been clearer, I guess.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Spitfire wrote:
Those home wrist monitors dude. Should have been clearer, I guess.
D'oh! I read 'monitor' and thought of the display screen with a seperate cuff. Until googling a few moments ago, had no idea wrist BP cuffs existed, or that the were a one piece cuff & display. Thanks for the clarification. Which reminds me, it's been a week since I measured my BP...
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Julie, I had a triple bypass and main aortic heart valve replaced just over 4 years ago. I have to take various tablets as well as warfarin every day.

I have been to Thailand about 5 times since then and have had blood tests done to monitor my warfarin levels, plus blood pressure checks and other minor checks done in Samui, Hua Hin & Phuket

I made sure that I did some research before I went, made contact with local hospitals before hand to see what they can do and cant do and get some idea of the prices they charge. I have then taken the correspondence with me when I go to the hospital/medical centre and had no problem getting anything done.

I was very impressed when I was in Samui at one of the smaller local hospitals, they were very very thorough and did a lot more when doing the blood test that my own Doctor does.

The blood tests that I get done in Australia for my warfarin levels are done on the spot, can take upto a day to get the results back for the blood tests, as they have to take blood from you as they have not got the machines that are similar to what you use for diabetics to check sugar levels. So just bear that in mind.

Unless it something serious, you should be able to get all the tests you want done over there at smaller hospitals or a normal medical centres.
When you are looking around, unless you have no other choice try and avoid using the Bangkok Hospital franchises as they were so much dearer for the same tests than any of the places I used.

Also make if you have BP/Heart problems, make sure you have declared all your problems as existing conditions on your travel insurance, as if you do not, you could be up for a huge medical bill if anything serious happens
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"