Malaria tablets, any pharmacy?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
kev78

Post by kev78 »

Going to Laos to sort and ed visa and was thinking of taking some malaria tabs, good idea? and do all the pharmacy's stock them?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Malaria tablets, any pharmacy?

Post by Ginjaninja »

Personally I wouldn't take the prophylaxis... they have varying side-effects.
Just use proper precautions like spray, appropriate clothing, etc.

Several years ago I had to go to Bangkok and pay a visit to the tropical diseases medical clinic (link below) for an anti-malaria prescription due to mandatory work requirements (West Africa).
http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/

Over-kill for Laos in my opinion.

:cheers:
GN.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe the OP should read this. Malaria might be the least of worries. Probably don't need malaria prophylaxis for Vientiane.
kev78

Post by kev78 »

Thanks for the info guys. Had hep a and b before for Thailand not that long ago. Concerned about Dengue but nowt, apart from spray, I can do. Although I did read on the link about the plague!!!! :shock: :run:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I took the once-a-week Maleria tablets for a period of 5 weeks in 2014 and am still suffering side effects. Think very carefully before committing to them.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Lariam should be drug of last resort for troops, MPs say
'I kept thinking about hanging myself'
Maj Mick Wallace took Lariam during his deployment in Kenya in 1998, and he says he has been severely depressed ever since:
"When I came back my wife said I wasn't the same man. I was short-tempered, anxious at times. I just didn't feel right and it's still going on.
"I've had several courses of anti-depressants and all they do is stick a plaster over it and as soon as I stop taking them, I go downhill again.
"I've never attempted suicide but it's been at the back of my mind.
"Recently I went into my barn which I use as a workshop and I had to leave straightaway because I kept thinking about hanging myself.