What's biting me?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
TheBludger
Rookie
Rookie

What's biting me?

Post by TheBludger »

Hi guys, I am a regular visitor to HH. I normally stay in mid quality (800baht) guesthouses.
On two occasions I have returned home with some form of bite that is itchy, annoying and generally lasts several days.
Hoping to find out what is biting me.
The first time, some months ago, I awoke in the night and felt something biting. I think that I saw incredibly small insects that I guessed to be a mosquito, much smaller than the every day bitey mozzies.
The next morning I had raised spots on my back, legs and arms. These itched for several days. They leaked a fluid which formed a hard crystalline blob. Periodically this would get knocked off and the leaking would start again.
After a bit of research I diagnosed bed bugs not mosquitoes. That did not quite seem right as I have stayed at the same guest house several times with no issues and it only happened on 1 night.
I also wondered if it had been sand flies from the beach that had caused the spots, a delayed response.
So basically 4 possibilities. Mosquito, bed bugs, sand flies or something unknown to me. I should say that the average mosquito bite itches for about 20 minutes on me and then is gone.
This last weekend was a repeat of the above. Friday night I was unaffected. Saturday I took a walk along the beach and felt the sand flies on my back. Saturday night I woke to mosquito bites or at least something biting me. Sunday I had the raised spots. Oh by the way a different guest house.
Now tuesday I have the inflamed spots, the leaking stuff and crystalizing.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: What's biting me?

Post by huahin4ever »

I'm pretty sure these are the culprits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

Generally these have become a bigger problem in recent years, and especially guesthouses and hotels wich is not consistent to do thorough cleaning could end up having serious issues with these creatures.
YNWA
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Bed bugs I would say, get some anti histamine and plenty of swimming in the sea would be a help.
Please PM me the name of the guest house as I am heading south from the jungle and stay in the same sorta budget guest houses with my wife and toddler.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

because of the nature of the seeping I am more inclined to say sand flies, bed bugs would not normally have that effect
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

As others have pointed out, it could be bed bugs, but my money would be on the sand flies which seem to be very common on Takiap beach. I had serious problems with them when I first moved here, with the resultant sores turning into nasty infections. In fact, it was so bad that at one point I thought I might have to leave Thailand.

My second bet would be on some incredibly small ants. These are so small you can barely see the bugger, but you feel them bite, and they to have caused me a great deal of grief, with my most recent experience being about 6 months ago when I got bitten sitting at a small side of the road restaurant. My daughter had the same problem a few months back as well, and also had to be treated with antibiotics.

The secret is, try not to scratch, especially not with your nails. If the itch gets too much, try rubbing it with your fingertips only.

Good Luck :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Takiap wrote:As others have pointed out, it could be bed bugs, but my money would be on the sand flies which seem to be very common on Takiap beach. I had serious problems with them when I first moved here, with the resultant sores turning into nasty infections. In fact, it was so bad that at one point I thought I might have to leave Thailand.

My second bet would be on some incredibly small ants. These are so small you can barely see the bugger, but you feel them bite, and they to have caused me a great deal of grief, with my most recent experience being about 6 months ago when I got bitten sitting at a small side of the road restaurant. My daughter had the same problem a few months back as well, and also had to be treated with antibiotics.

The secret is, try not to scratch, especially not with your nails. If the itch gets too much, try rubbing it with your fingertips only.

Good advise open sores can get infected quickly in this climate also eating a spicy diet will reduce getting bitten well proven with me and my wife I get eaten alive after about a week of being here and my wife never gets bitten.

Kendo. :cheers:

Good Luck :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

kendo wrote:... also eating a spicy diet will reduce getting bitten well proven with me and my wife I get eaten alive after about a week of being here and my wife never gets bitten
Hold on a sec! Are you saying that the fact that you get bitten and she doesn't is proof that a spicy diet solves the problem? :shock:
It could equally be that she is female or wears pink or sleeps on the left! :laugh:
Or more likely that you are a poor farang with no natural resistance to these things...
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

When I get something like that which is very rare for me, I wash the affected area in Listerine mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide. Wards off the mozzies too

I've even heard diluted urine does the job too
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:When I get something like that which is very rare for me, I wash the affected area in Listerine mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide. Wards off the mozzies too

I'm sure that the diluted urine trick will ward off most living species, although you might get a few soi dogs show some interest?
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

richard wrote:When I get something like that which is very rare for me, I wash the affected area in Listerine mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide. Wards off the mozzies too

I'm sure yours would have to be diluted! Doesn't it come out as neat Sang-Som :D
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

There must be something in the theory that you adapt. When I first moved here I used to get regularly bitten on ankles, after 6 months they don't seem to bother me.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

After our arrival in Hua Hin I noticed aggressive 'mosquitoes' that attacked in daylight and did not make the typical mosquito sound.
Now I'm sure they are NOT mosquitoes, but they sting, too.

It's a tiny fly, delta-shaped.
Has anyone encountered them, too, or are they confined to Soi 94?

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE