Cancer Scare

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Cancer Scare

Post by Siani »

I thought I would share this with you all. 6 weeks ago I discovered a "black spot" on my big toe :cry: It did not hurt etc. I went to my local GP who seemed concerned about it as it could have been a melanoma or skin cancer. She asked me to go back in 10 days to see if it had changed, which it had not. I Googled it, as you do...not good if it were a melanoma, quite serious. Anyway she made an appointment with a dermatologist for next Monday, to undergo tests. I have been so worried thinking the worst.
Last night I came home late after a trip away and looked at the dreaded toe :twisted: ...great surprise..it dropped off!! It must have been a blood blister, so all is well. The toe is back to pink, with no marks whatsoever.

What I am getting at is to tell everyone to check themselves for suspicious looking moles & marks. Early detention could save your life. I say this because I have spent some years in very hot climates, sometimes not giving a hoot about protecting my skin.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: Cancer Scare

Post by SunandFun »

Siani, from a melanoma survivor (right cheek, two operations and many years later) please keep your appointment with the dermatologist and put this one to bed. No need to take a chance. It is probably nothing since it did fall off, but please don't take the chance. It can kill you. I had a friend die in one year after discovering it. So get a complete body check and feel good about this warning. Also, use sun screen outside. I still play golf and coat up with sun screen before each round. SO it won't change your life, but you have to catch it early. Cheers to good health!
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Siani wrote: Early detention could save your life. [/b]
That's in Big Boy's league :D .
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I've had several skin cancers removed so am quite diligent about regular checkups, using sunscreen and hats, etc.

If you are of Northern European descent then you might want to consider consulting with a dermatologist who has experience with out rather delicate skin. I use Dr Niyom at Bumrungrad who did some training in the US and who has numerous Western patients. He is quite thorough and generally examines my entire exterior using magnifying goggles and gloved hands. He always finds a handful of actinic keratoses that need freezing with liquid nitrogen. Last week her found a dark spot that needed a biopsy. Benign this time.

(My apologies to any dermatologist sponsors of this forum who may take offense at the mention of a competitor. I meant none.)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

(My apologies to any dermatologist sponsors of this forum who may take offense at the mention of a competitor. I meant none.)
No worries; unless things have changed recently there are no dermatologists in Hua Hin. I looked and had to go to Bangkok a while back. I also have a family history of skin cancer and have had over a dozen moles removed and biopsied that came back pre-cancerous, whatever that means. Also had many more removed that came back clean even though they looked suspicious. That's one of the procedures that I was talking about in another thread that in the U.S. I could do over a one hour lunch in a dermatologists private office but here you have to go to a hospital in Bangkok to have it done. My Mother had both breast cancer and a cancerous mole that caused her to have to have a good portion of her nose removed so I have to be extra careful too. (Another reason I stay in my cave out of the sun.. :P )
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There is a dermatologist who has a clinic here. He comes from one of the hospitals in Petchaburi every Saturday afternoon from 3-7pm. Located on Nebkaharbs Road (sic) almost opposite the Putrarascha Hotel (bit further north, only about 100 yds).
I've been to see him a couple of times with minor complaints and he seemed very professional and the practice is all spic and span, aircon etc.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I had the appointment today in the hospital. The dermatologist has given me the "all clear" as there is nothing to see on the toe now. She insisted on seeing me as she explained that you can never be too careful with skin cancer. Anyway, great relief for me :)
Anyway, check yourselves out :)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

lomuamart wrote:There is a dermatologist who has a clinic here. He comes from one of the hospitals in Petchaburi every Saturday afternoon from 3-7pm. Located on Nebkaharbs Road (sic) almost opposite the Putrarascha Hotel (bit further north, only about 100 yds).
I've been to see him a couple of times with minor complaints and he seemed very professional and the practice is all spic and span, aircon etc.
Thanks for that Lomu. Will check him out as I'm due for another check! :thumb: :cheers:

If you have it could you PM me the doctor's name name and office phone number?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Siani, Thanks for letting us know your outcome. And thanks for seeing it through! I caught mine, by a friend seeing a spot on my face at a party. My good fortune that he was a teaching dermatologist specializing in skin cancer. He pleaded with me to have it checked and let him know. He even wrote out a prescription as to what size biopsy to take. He saved my life! The biopsy came back malignant melanoma. Of course I was grateful.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

SunandFun wrote:Siani, Thanks for letting us know your outcome. And thanks for seeing it through! I caught mine, by a friend seeing a spot on my face at a party. My good fortune that he was a teaching dermatologist specializing in skin cancer. He pleaded with me to have it checked and let him know. He even wrote out a prescription as to what size biopsy to take. He saved my life! The biopsy came back malignant melanoma. Of course I was grateful.
Yes, I saw it through on your sound advice, thanks. I could have easily picked up the phone and cancelled the appointment. Glad I went there now & got the all clear.
That was lucky for you meeting a dermatologist specializing in skin cancer, you might not have known. It really does pay to get things checked out. Being very faired skinned with dark hair, I burn easily. These days I use factor 50 sunscreen as an extra precaution. :wink:
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

hhfarang wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:49 pm
lomuamart wrote:There is a dermatologist who has a clinic here. He comes from one of the hospitals in Petchaburi every Saturday afternoon from 3-7pm. Located on Nebkaharbs Road (sic) almost opposite the Putrarascha Hotel (bit further north, only about 100 yds).
Thanks for that Lomu. Will check him out as I'm due for another check! :thumb: :cheers:

If you have it could you PM me the doctor's name name and office phone number?
Greetings,

Is this doc still making visits to HH ? If so, does he use liquid nitrogen for taking off small things, as could use a couple zapped, and a good checking over.

If possible, maybe get a name, address or phone # would be great.

THANKS in advance for any help.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Bump
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As you've bumped this, I'll say that Petcharat Hospital have twice save limbs that another hospital in Hua Hin was struggling with - in fact they wanted to amputate a toe. The 'visiting' dermatologist there was first class, and treatment from him cleared both unrelated problems very quickly.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Afraid I can't remember the precise details and I never had an address or telephone number for the practice.
But, it's located as described above, almost opposite the hotel. Hopefully it's still going but I've had no reason to visit for quite some time.
BB beat me to a reply but the doctor at this HH practice is from a hospital in Petchaburi but I'm not sure if he's the same one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm BB beat me to a reply but the doctor at this HH practice is from a hospital in Petchaburi but I'm not sure if he's the same one.
No, my guy was visiting from Bangkok. Rather than look and diagnose, he actually did a series of tests that proved I was being treated for the wrong condition by the Hua Hin Hospital who wanted to amputate.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18