Having a baby

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Having a baby

Post by margaretcarnes »

Big Boy wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:Thing is though do the Mums really want a guy there?
My wife did - she took great pleasure in trying to rip my head off my shoulders - I think I was 6" taller after my son's birth.
:lach:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
tingtong
Novice
Novice

Post by tingtong »

Not sure if it is common practice on this forum to blow new life in an old thread or if I should make a new thread. Anyway will try this first, as the subject is related.
Since most replies are quite a few years old, I was wondering if anyone has any up to date experience about fathers being able to join while the wife is giving birth; anywhere in Phetchaburi, Cha-am or Hua Hin.

Muang Petch hospital told us today that it is not possible for the father to join at the big moment.
They explained to us that the father might not understand the actions the doctors might have to take...
I know very well how rough it can be. My sister nearly lost her first child because he was not breathing and I know doctors will have to go very rough on the little one to hopefully get the baby to breath. Obviously that would not be a fun sight for the father, and I certainly hope we do not get into this situation, but apparently the hospital/ doctors then fear me stepping to social media or whatever ways to complain about how they treated my newborn...
If only they knew how to communicate and explain people if such a situation arises, then there should not be any fear of loss of face....

Anyway, so this hospital is no longer an option.

Same with the Phra Jom Khao hospital...

We did not ask at Petcharat, because if we were informed correctly they ONLY do cesareans...

So hopefully someone has a recent experience to share of a hospital in the region that does allow the father to join with a normal birth, the natural way (as long as there are no complications of course).

Your answers are much appreciated!
If only I had not simply assumed for all this time that things would be just like 'back home'... and now we are running out of time with only a few more weeks to go...
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They're expensive but I would go check with Bangkok Hospital. It's been 12 years but at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital it was possible to the extent that I monitored the baby heartbeat for hours and actually alerted the staff when the umbilical cord twisted around her neck. If BKH Hua Hin says "...they don't it anywhere any longer..." Call BKH Pattaya or BKH Bangkok and ask them directly. But...there was very little social media then.

When the time came, in walked the Doc with believe it or not Wellies on to protect from the possible splash. :shock: Took a photo (below) seconds after birth with the cord still attached, and it contains a substance of the most beautiful blue colour you'll ever see.

When all was over the Doc actually called me over, showed me the work area and asked.."How tight do you want me to sew up your wife...?" :shock: :shock: No exaggeration. She was quite a character for being a doctor but she was/is the right kind of doctor. :D

Congratulations to you and your wife and I truly hope you find a place where you can have the experience. :thumb: Pete :cheers:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_651.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

EDIT: In those days (not that long ago!) no smocks, hat or anything required. I was in street clothes the entire time and running out for cigarette breaks every 30 minutes. The Thailand of the past, I miss it. I'd post a photo of myself in the delivery room but I had a flip phone and selfies didn't exist. :laugh:

I'll stop hijacking your thread/post. It just brought back so many memories..... :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I must say I'm rather surprised to read that Petcharat doesn't facilitate natural births because as far as I know, they used to in the past. My wife attended the hospital throughout her three pregnancies, and while we knew the second two would not be natural births, with our first child the decision to cut was only made after she had been in labor for several hours, and the doctor felt it would be better not to wait any longer.

At the time, natural childbirth with private room was around 15 or 16 thousand, while a cesarean with private room set us back 21 or 22 thousand baht. I had already been told I could watch the birth, regardless, but since it was a cesarean, I chose not to.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact