Having a baby

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Having a baby

Post by richard »

My friends Thai wife is due to drop it in February and as is the custom in the western world he would be offered the option (if no complications) to be present. It is very supportive for the mother to be and a wonderful experience if the father to be is present.

I was present for both my daughters arrival into this crazy world and my wife, nursing staff and doctors appreciated my support role. For the privilege, Thai hospitals charge a massive 20k for you to experience the birth of your child which IMO is scandalous.

Anybody got any advice about other options? .......Home/midwife delivery?....cheaper hospital?....or as reported recently...in the back of a taxi in BK by a Thai Policeman?

ps........I was born at home as was the done thing in the 1940's but I think it was on the kitchen table and I rolled off and banged my head. Never been right since :lach: :lach: . They're coming to take me away.to the funny farm to become a resident in a cuckoo nest :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Re: Having a baby

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think I'd bother. I was there when my wife popped, and despite it being a good experience, I reckon I did the job of at least one midwife (or assitant) helping out. Take the cheaper option, and let them staff the job properly at their expense.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Skype?
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was present for the birth of my 3 sons and can thoroughly recommend it even though when the eldest one was born I played a very active part - one of the nursing staff (could have been the midwife) got called out half way through my son being delivered and I had to take her place to provide a shoulder for my wife to use to help her "bearing down", I think is the expression they used!!

Have to agree though, that having to pay for the privilege seems a bit much.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Where did this 20K come from? :shock: In 2005 the wife went into labour at 1800 hours, admitted to birthing room...I sat there in attendance and monitored fetal heartbeat for 5 1/2 hours and was present for the entire event. Even watching the Doc put on her wellies to save her good shoes from a drenching! :laugh: This was at BHP and it didn't appear then that any of the Bangkok Hospital chain had any extra charges. I hope not to hear that it's a new money making device they've initiated. :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Mine was born in a govt hospital last year, i was present for birth,plus took photos as baby arrived(which they didn't like too much) total cost 0bht we paid an extra 1200bht per night for three nights for a private suite, separate lounge/bedroom with flatscreen tv and fridge,private toilet,shower.Extra 20000bht to be present,sounds like a bit of a money grab.
By the way our dr talked us into a govt hospital,he in fact worked at both a private and govt,and said babies born every day,govt hospitals are good enough
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

Our son was born at Hua Hin Hospital last week by C-section on the 12/12/12. Everything went well.

However we had been under the impression that I could be present for the birth, but discovered on the morning that it definitely was not possible.The reason I discovered later is that there are other woman in the same room having babies also.

Maybe this 20,000 baht is to cover the cost of private room/staff for the actual birth.
And if you are in a private hospital I assume the birth is done in a private room as per course, hence the extra cost.

We did have a private recovery room/suite for wife & baby for 3 nights at 1500 baht a night (the 1800 baht ones were full). It was a very nice, big room and the nursing staff seemed competent enough.
Last edited by alleykat on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

alleykat wrote:Our son was born at Hua Hin Hospital last week by C-section on the 12/12/12. Everything went well.

However we had been under the impression that I could be present for the birth, but discovered on the morning that it definitely was not possible.The reason I discovered later is that there are other woman in the same room having babies also.

Maybe this 20,000 baht is to cover the cost of private room/staff for the birth.
And if you are in a private hospital I assume the birth is done in a private room as per course, hence the extra cost.

We did have a private recovery room for wife & baby for 3 nights at 1500 baht a night (the 1800 baht ones were full). It was a very nice, big room and the nursing staff seemed competent enough.
Maybe it was also due to the fact that it was a C-section rather than natural birth, although I can also see the issue if it is a shared delivery room? But from your figures of 1500/1800 a night for a private room, 20,000 does seem way OTT.
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

I don't think it's any different if it's a C-section, it's because it's a shared delivery room. The Mrs said there were woman having natural births at the same time, and listening to their screams of pain she knew she had made the right decision to have a caesarean.

If you were to have your own private delivery room they would also need a whole medical team on standby I guess, whereas if it's in the shared delivery room the staff are just there doing their regular day's work.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

alleykat wrote:I don't think it's any different if it's a C-section, it's because it's a shared delivery room. The Mrs said there were woman having natural births at the same time, and listening to their screams of pain she knew she had made the right decision to have a caesarean.

If you were to have your own private delivery room they would also need a whole medical team on standby I guess, whereas if it's in the shared delivery room the staff are just there doing their regular day's work.
Ours was a shared delivery room,2 other ladies,doctor came in to make sure all was right,midwife nurse looked over the whole thing,unless she requires a csection(which seems to be over prescribed here,whether it be a money making scheme or the drs really believe falang are going to have monster babies)we went for natural,no probs,
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I was present at the birth (c section) of our son, too busy filming to be of any help to the staff.
At least I didn't faint. :D
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Khundon1975 wrote:I was present at the birth (c section) of our son, too busy filming to be of any help to the staff.
At least I didn't faint. :D
OMG Don did you film the incision as well? I think men who watch normal deliveries are brave! Thing is though do the Mums really want a guy there?
Anyway - for alleykat - so presumably your wife had an elective C section. Just be warned - she can't have more than 3! :tsk:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote:Thing is though do the Mums really want a guy there?
My wife did - she took great pleasure in trying to rip my head off my shoulders - I think I was 6" taller after my son's birth.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

Yes, it was AN elective C-section, the decision was made by my wife & her doctor months beforehand.
And don't worry margaretcarnes, there won't be more than three, trust me!

My wife would have liked me to have been present at the birth had it been possible.

Khundon1975, was it at a private or public hospital where you filmed the birth?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

All three of our kids were born at Petcharat Hospital. Private room (very nice) and all three required a C-Section. On all three occasions, I was asked if I wanted to be present - no extra cost at all. Unfortunately, for the last two, I couldn't be present because I had to babysit outside in the corridor. :D

Richard, is your friend's wife giving birth at the San Paulo? I know they charge extra if a Thai woman gives birth to a child that was conceived by means of Farang sperm. :shock: As such, I wouldn't be surprised if they add on a few extra thousand if the Farang wants to be present. In fact, they'll probably find a few more excuses to up the bill a bit. :guns: Seriously, I couldn't believe it when the doctor there told us we would have to pay more because the Thai price and the Farang price are not the same. The last I heard, guys (even Farang) can't get pregnant.

Nonetheless, my wife and I were both pleased because it resulted in us opting for Petcharat Hospital, and both of us have nothing but praise for the hospital and the staff.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact