Blackwater Fever - any Doctors around?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
caller
Hero
Hero

Blackwater Fever - any Doctors around?

Post by caller »

On Saturday the G/F had an accident on her motorbike in N.E. Thailand - came off in bad weather, sprained an ankle and generally bruised. Bike a bit of a wreck apparantly - she was very lucky (wearing good safety helmet).

She was due to be released from Hospital yesterday but they've since diagnosed a problem with the Kidneys and apparently she has Blackwater fever? I've looked this up on Google and it appears to be related to Maleria - anyone got any experience of this?

But she seems to be putting it down to the accident - that she say's is what she has been told?

I'm not an expert - does anyone know more about this?

She seems pretty laid back about it - how worried should I - and she - be? Anyone know of it around HH?

Perhaps an idea for a new forum could be `wellbeing in HH'?

Many thanks.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've just googled it myself and would reckon that a check up is definitely advisable.
As you'll have probably seen, the consensus of medical feeling is that the complaint can be brought on by doses of quinnine that used to be used to combat malaria. Quinnine has now been replaced by other medicines. One potential side effect was renal damage- hence the doctors mentioning your gf's problems with her kidneys.
Malaria and dengue fever I've heard of in HH, but very rarely. This is the first mention of BWF I've come across.
I'd reckon better safe than sorry and get a second opinion asap.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

also called Malarial Hemoglobinuria, one of the most dangerous complications of malaria. It occurs almost exclusively with infection from the parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Blackwater fever has a high mortality. Its symptoms include a rapid pulse, high fever and chills, extreme prostration, a rapidly developing anemia, and the passage of urine that is black or dark red in colour

This needs attention

Malaria, especially Falciparum malaria, is a medical emergency requiring hospitalization. Chloroquine is the most frequently used anti-malarial medication, but quinidine or quinine, or the combination of pyrimethamine and sulfadoxine, are given for chloroquine-resistant infections.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/malaria.htm
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks guys - even if a bit worrying - she actually says she feels fine - so no symptons as in the above message.

I'm kind of wondering whether it might be a thrombosis in the kidney, which was also mentioned. Which sounds equally worrying and a little confusing to me!!!

Anyway, she's had an operation and says she's fine and will be released in 3 to 4 days if all okay? And she's having tests taken every hour.

Doesn't sound like BWF - does it?

Hopefully, initial panic is over?

Not caught around HH I would have thought, more like the NE. Bit worrying for me (being selfish) as I got bitten to crap up there a few weeks ago - that or the bed bugs!
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Good to hear all is on the mend :thumb:
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Dr. Dave

Finally managed to speak with her early this morning and she sounds okay. Things are on the mend and she hopes to leave hospital on Friday.

She insists she had BWF but when I said its linked to Malaria, she wouldn't have it!

Nor does it seem the sort of thing that would come and go in a day or so! Now her English is okay but not great, so a bit was lost in transaltion.

I woner if locally, they use the term BWF in the same way that in the UK one day's sickness is always put down to flu!! Like, you really get through flu in a day - as if.