Why do many expats not bother to learn to read?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Why do many expats not bother to learn to read?

Post by handdrummer »

T.I.G.R., perfect!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Didn't read much of thread, 1st few post, and this page. It's a personal choice, and honestly, unless living in the boonies, you really don't need to learn to read. And it is a challenge, as even the locals struggle.

Considering most, if not all, on this forum occasionally visit or live in HH........seriously, why would you need to read Thai, or even speak it. The very basic of conversational Thai is more than enough here.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

How about to read shop names, what they sell, menus, road signs etc.
In other words to be able to
get by over here.
Actually reading Thai is, for me, easier than speaking it with the correct tones and vowel lengths.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Been here 16 years, no problems at all not reading Thai. I know the names of most foods I enjoy, and anything else I need; sign or whatever is in English, usually. If no English menu, I manage. Really don't need to read shop signs to know what they sell.

Self drive everywhere, about 3 times around the whole country, before Google maps / apps, and no major problems.

Use to be fluent, read, write, speak Spanish, but now back to 1 language, and almost fluent in English, but fluent in American (USA version). 8)

Got all 3 of those books previously mentioned, did 2 of them, and didn't really use any of it, so forgot most of it. Know half the alphabet, though that really doesn't help. As stated, the locals have problems with reading; way too many letters, no spaces between words, sentence structure, paragraphs, and a dead language, as anything new is an English word. Why bother.

Some letter / vowel combinations, before/after/in between, letter retired, not used, or omitted from a word, whether when spelled or pronounced. No consistency.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Takiap wrote:I agree NT, and the OP should remind himself that it is not our duty to learn how to read street signs written in Thai, it is Thailand's duty to learn English and provide English signage. :wink:

:cheers:
:?
Last time I checked almost all of the street signs in Thailand are written in English.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Not in the rural areas, nor signs advising detours, road closures etc.
not everyone's life revolves around Market Village & Bluport!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Felipesed1 wrote:not everyone's life revolves around Market Village & Bluport!
That's a fair point if you're not living in Hua Hin. Living in Hua Hin and Bangkok is easier, language wise, than living in somewhere like Korat.
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I'm 20 clicks out of Udon Thani, very rural, as was first house here, and 'have' driven the whole country about 3 times, and never a major problem.

I did plan and research though. Almost to the point where I could read the Thai signs, as I would (before GPS apps), write down my route in Thai, from that paper thing, as not knowing what signs would be next on the actually trip. Point to point, district to district, which I'm sure helped a lot. Now, apps simply tell me the way...........LOL. I even drive in Krung Thep now, when needed.

Will be relocating to PKK in March, already of paid lease, and why active again on this forum.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Detour signs, had plenty of those, and they point the way, usually. Road closures, are usually last second, no warning, and impassable, so mute subject. Just use to break out the map, or software back then, and re-route.

Again, now not necessary, as app even tells me about congestion ahead and how to avoid.............lovely.

Minor conversational Thai is more than enough to get by in Thailand. IMHO

I actually avoid western / foreigner managed venues and shopping, as usually disappointed with anything they offer, or think that they know how to cook, along with most being way overpriced.

I find locals do western food, so much better, and cheaper. At least in Udon Thani, and my meals so far in HH / CA and PKK, along with Pranburi, SRY, Chumphon and Krung Thep.
blahblah
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blahblah »

Takiap wrote:Sidthesloth......
For me, not being able to fully understand the Thai language is blissful; it allows me to live here without losing my sanity.
Absolutely agree with that - they would drive me nuts. My wife translates for me sometimes and she tells me what a pile of s**t they speak a lot of the time. An educated thai person will want to speak english, and most likely do a good job of it.
[/quote]
Anyway, my guess is that you are from the UK. A good sense of humor and a real wind-up merchant - love it. :thumb:
The OP did not respond to your UK comment - so my guess is that he is from Germany - (a german sense of humour is no laughing matter)
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I was thinking Spanish / Portuguese origins "Felipe Sed"
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

I am not the OP!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

oops..... :oops:
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

sidthesloth wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 pm I sincerely don't believe there is such a thing as "language ability", there is only trying and giving up.
As far as my experience goes, I would say you're wrong. I used to teach languages and I sometimes had students who tried and tried, did extra study on their own, persevered and even one who had a private tutor to help him, but still couldn't pass an 'O' level exam. I had other students who hardly did a lick of work and sailed through based on nothing other than their natural ability.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:06 pm
sidthesloth wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 pm I sincerely don't believe there is such a thing as "language ability", there is only trying and giving up.
As far as my experience goes, I would say you're wrong. I used to teach languages and I sometimes had students who tried and tried, did extra study on their own, persevered and even one who had a private tutor to help him, but still couldn't pass an 'O' level exam. I had other students who hardly did a lick of work and sailed through based on nothing other than their natural ability.
Wow, old thread! :)

I'd say he's wrong too. Aptitude to take in new information of that sort diminishes over time. Anlso linguistic fluency most definitely decreases with age (I'm slowly losing my large vocab over the past few years: "I know the exact word for that, WTF is it again?...").

There is most definitely linguistic ability.