Learning some new Thai vocabulary

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: Learning some new Thai vocabulary

Post by BaaBaa. »

I agree Dannie, using L just sounds so wrong to me. As I said it, depends where people are from.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

prcscct wrote:Another interesting one with two words when English has only one.

Eim = after a meal and your stomach is full.

Tem = everything else that's full or you want filled. If stopping for gas you can say "Tem krup...diesel" and he'll know what you mean.

I don't know the full details behind Eim. I wonder if it can also be used when referring to other parts of the body? Such as "Jai eim luk khun" meaning more or less, My heart is full of love for you. I have a feeling it can't be used that way, or for any other organs, and Eim only refers to food and stomach. It's bewildering to me why they thought they needed a special word for that condition...there must be a deeper meaning to it. Pete :cheers:
Actually im (อิ่ม) can be used in many ways. The second meaning (besides being full after eating) I learned was when my partner had trouble getting up in the morning and she said 'non mai im' (นอน ไม่ อิ่ม) literally: sleep not full. The third meaning I learned was when staff in the hotel were I worked told the gardener to stop watering the plants because 'din im nam' (ดิน อิ่ม น้ำ) literally: soil full water (saturated).

And Peter 'im jai' literally: full heart, means to be delighted, to be pleased. So your idiom might be correct. I am going to find someone I can use it on!

In Thai you can intensify the meaning of many words by simply repeating them as in: maak maak (VERY much) or waan waan (VERY or TOO sweet). This can be done with 'im im' as well meaning that you are really stuffed, that's it, no more for you.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Good article to teach us the different meanings of "face."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... s-face-off
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: You, Hair, Night etc.

Post by Pleng »

Frank Hovis wrote:I'm with Baa Baa

Hair is just the same, as is head - hair cut is 'gat pom'
:? Head is 'Hua' as in, 'Hua Hin'! Unless they also use Pom but I have never heard anybody referring to it with Pom (probably because I didn't understand what they were talking about when they said it :mrgreen: )

On the subject of the 'R'. My teacher teaches the class to use R but I have never, ever been in conversation with somebody who uses it, aside from in expensive restaurants and hotels! Maybe it's a generation thing? I know that saying 'R' is considered more 'proper', but I always use 'l'. Well actually a halfway house really. I kind of start to pronounce the 'r' but very quickly change over to the 'l'.

Consider aroi:

a-roi becomes ar-loy but with the r cut off almost before you even begin to say it.

It's just the way everybody around me speaks so I've become accustomed to it.