Why is it (sometimes) so difficult to buy something?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Why is it (sometimes) so difficult to buy something?

Post by Vital Spark »

A new Index store has opened up just down the road, so Mr.VS and I decided to pay it a visit as I wanted a new drainer rack thingy for the kitchen. Couldn't find what I wanted, but Mr.VS spotted a rather nice armchair - he's always wanted one, but we've never previously seen one that suits in Thailand. It was bright orange. A quick look at the tag showed various other colours of material, so we asked the nice sales lady what other colours were available. "Only orange", she said. "No other colours?" I said. "No, only orange." I explained to her that we really, really liked it, and would definitely buy it if it was in a different colour. "No, only orange." She then waved her hand towards other chairs of a totally different style (and comfort) hoping that we'd pick one of those. After I asked her (for the third time) while pointing at the tag if there was a possibility of another colour, she decided to ask the supervisor. "No, only orange." Mr.VS then had the brainwave of taking a photo of the sales tag so that we could look it up on line. This somehow prompted the sales ladies to (reluctantly) have a look at the computer. "We only have two colours: orange or grey." Grey is what I wanted! We'll have it. We were reluctantly lead to the 'customer services' desk and told to sit down. I always hate it when this happens, as you know it's going to take an age, and by that time I was getting a tad thirsty. They tried to put us off buying by telling us that it would take a few weeks for it to arrive. No problem, we're not in a hurry. Damn it! These people are really trying to buy something. We told them that as long as it wasn't after the 9th June, it'd be OK. What seemed like an hour, but was probably about 15 minutes, I was presented with an order with a delivery date of 10th June. I was now beginning to think that they really didn't want to sell us the armchair. We managed to twist their arm to deliver it on the 9th. Phew! We finally got there through sheer determination and perseverance. I wonder how many customers these places lose by not even trying to get you what you want?

VS (Rant over)
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Re: Why is it (sometimes) so difficult to buy something?

Post by pharvey »

When we were buying furniture etc. for our place a few years ago, "Index" was by and away the worst experience we had - and undoubtedly the most expensive item!! :cuss: :banghead:

Muppets at the best of times, but I'm sure also greedy - give them a commission on sales and I'm sure the service would change!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I can sympathise and empathise

I set out with the considerable assistance of Mrs. B to buy a washing machine.

Fed up with buying poorly made brands we decided to go all out for a rather expensive but well reviewed Siemens machine. The only distributor was a well known, high priced shopping centre in BKK.

They had exactly the model that we wanted on display.... A result! Well actually no, it turned out that they had no stock other than the display model. Ok says I, we are ok with the display model but what discount do we get? None sir! It's normal price.

Ok then I'll order a new one and wait... But sir you should consider X, Y, Z as these are made locally and warranty is easier.

Thank you but I'll wait.

But sir if you buy this model that's made in Thailand we'll give you 0% finance and a free gift. Thank you but NO, I'll wait and order what I want. But sir delivery could be 4 weeks!!! That's fine I'll wait.

Finally I placed the order and was then told that there was a promotion of a free Siemens steam iron but unfortunately they had no stock. They would try to get the gift delivered with the washing machine. Oh .. Ok, what the hell.

Next evening a sheepish assistant came to our apartment to apologise that the steam iron was no longer in promotion and would I accept a Phillips. Ok

Next evening another assistant arrived with a vacuum cleaner as a free gift. Yes, I explained the iron we had already got... Anyway he left it and said its yours. Ok thanks

Yes, next evening there's a knock at the door and I became the proud owner of a toaster.

After the promised 3 weeks the much awaited washing machine arrived and was installed... Finally all was well with the world.

As the installation guys were leaving they gave me .... The Siemens steam iron as part of the original promotion... Go figure
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

:lach:
Dammit! I missed a trick with our purchase - should've asked for the freebie. Mind you, it'd probably have been a Hello Kitty cushion.. :|

VS
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote: Phew! We finally got there through sheer determination and perseverance.
Hi VS xx - If I were you, I wouldn't 'phew' until it's been delivered on 9/6 and it isn't orange... :duck:
This is the way
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Vital Spark wrote:A new Index store has opened up just down the road, so Mr.VS and I decided to pay it a visit as I wanted a new drainer rack thingy for the kitchen. Couldn't find what I wanted, but Mr.VS spotted a rather nice armchair - he's always wanted one, but we've never previously seen one that suits in Thailand. It was bright orange. A quick look at the tag showed various other colours of material, so we asked the nice sales lady what other colours were available. "Only orange", she said. "No other colours?" I said. "No, only orange." I explained to her that we really, really liked it, and would definitely buy it if it was in a different colour. "No, only orange." She then waved her hand towards other chairs of a totally different style (and comfort) hoping that we'd pick one of those. After I asked her (for the third time) while pointing at the tag if there was a possibility of another colour, she decided to ask the supervisor. "No, only orange." Mr.VS then had the brainwave of taking a photo of the sales tag so that we could look it up on line. This somehow prompted the sales ladies to (reluctantly) have a look at the computer. "We only have two colours: orange or grey." Grey is what I wanted! We'll have it. We were reluctantly lead to the 'customer services' desk and told to sit down. I always hate it when this happens, as you know it's going to take an age, and by that time I was getting a tad thirsty. They tried to put us off buying by telling us that it would take a few weeks for it to arrive. No problem, we're not in a hurry. Damn it! These people are really trying to buy something. We told them that as long as it wasn't after the 9th June, it'd be OK. What seemed like an hour, but was probably about 15 minutes, I was presented with an order with a delivery date of 10th June. I was now beginning to think that they really didn't want to sell us the armchair. We managed to twist their arm to deliver it on the 9th. Phew! We finally got there through sheer determination and perseverance. I wonder how many customers these places lose by not even trying to get you what you want?

VS (Rant over)
You are not alone. I would say for anyone thinking about living in Thailand, this issue really needs to be on a "things to consider" list before you move here.

I would say with a little variation that I experience the same thing everywhere I go shopping in Thailand but even more so in Hua Hin.

I really stopped trying to buy stuff in Thailand. It is just too hard to do.
And the Thais have no concept of what your expectation is having never experienced it for themselves.
And it does not matter if you are trying to buy a condo or a set of sheets, it is all the same.

I have a standing joke with my Thai girlfriend when we finally find what I am looking for, they will not have it in stock.

And sure enough, virtually 100% of the time they don't have the item on display. Many times I have been told they don't even sell the item any more even though it is still predominantly displayed.

I had a simple project to buy a few things for the house. But it required that I confirm the availably of every item before I bought any of it. Totally impossible.

The flip side is I really don't want to start collect stuff again as I owned everything under the sun in the USA and sold it all and feel really free not having a lot of possessions.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Vital Spark wrote: Phew! We finally got there through sheer determination and perseverance.
Hi VS xx - If I were you, I wouldn't 'phew' until it's been delivered on 9/6 and it isn't orange... :duck:
:lach:

You can just see it can't you.

"Love, the armchairs arrived". Then they proceed to unwrap the box, like children at Christmas, excited to add a delightful new addition to the living room...

:laugh:
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thank you DM (xx) and GLC for planting those little seeds of doubt in my mind. :tsk:

I looked at their website yesterday and it is: Only in orange. But I have every faith (apart from the minor ones) that it'll be the right colour.

A photo will be forthcoming to prove that I'm right...

VS
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

After all the fuss, I do hope you get the right product on the right day, VS

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:After all the fuss, I do hope you get the right product on the right day, VS

:cheers:
Yes, part of me does too... :wink:
This is the way
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

The orange is not too bad!!!!
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

I also had a fun time buying a washing machine at Home Pro a few years back. I think it's detailed somewhere here on HuaHinForum, but the upshot was that they only had a display model and it was significantly marked down. However, they wouldn't sell the display model without a LOT of banter. I kept it light, joking a lot, and in the end got my way. However, I remember it being mentioned (later) on the forum that sometimes the display models are not really in the store's inventory, that they actually belong to the manufacturer and hence, really can't be sold by the store. But, somehow I ended up with the washing machine.

The real puzzler was why, if they didn't have that machine in stock (and apparently couldn't get any more) did they have it as a prominent display in the mall area outside the HomePro store? (rhetorical question...)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think all these stories are an example of a form of "bait and switch". Probably not illegal here but simply a marketing tactic to get you into the store and sell you some brand other than what you want, that the store makes a lot of money on. They try it with hot water heaters and a whole host of other hardware items and fixtures all the time...without fail! :banghead: . Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is well documented that I am an awful shopper. If they try any of that with me, I just turn around and walk out. I couldn't even buy a new toilet seat without a similar experience to VS. In the end, I bought online from China.

I love Thailand, but just can't get my head around their sales techniques. If entering a shop such as Home Pro, Mrs BB goes ahead and warns the vultures to let me browse. However, even if I found what I want, and tell them; if they start telling me I want something else, I'm out of there.

If the product I want is no good, why do they have it on display?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

The Chair: Final Episode.

June 9th arrived. Mr.VS got a telephone call saying they'd be at our house in 20 mins. He managed to delay the meet to 25 mins as he had a 5km bike ride back home, including three sets of traffic lights, and he ain't no spring chicken. He made it, just as they arrived. It was a tense moment...

php6YksvHAM.jpg
php6YksvHAM.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
As you can see, all was well. A very happy Mr.VS in a super comfy armchair.

VS :cheers: