Birthday Advice Needed

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Birthday Advice Needed

Post by sand_dancer »

Good Morning People.....

My G/F has a friend, who I was informed last night will be 4 next week.....

The friend and daughter eat with us..... Once or twice a week..... From what I can make out the mother works hard..... Brings up the daughter single handedly..... does not drink or smoke and has the oldest mobile phone that I have set eyes on in Thailand..... Every spare Satang she has is spent on the daughter....

When they come and eat with us..... The little girl is glued to the TV and chatters away excitedly..... with a big beaming smile....

So..... When G/F tells me last night about her birthday.... :idea: :idea: We go buy her TV for birthday....

No.... No..... Teerak..... Cannot says she.....

Why not says I........

XXXX be too embarrassed and not speak to us again teerak....... Says she......

Further indepth questioning..... provided no further clues.....

All you guys and girls..... Who are far more edumacated on all things Thai...... Can you enlighten me further..... And should I go and get the TV anyway ...... ?

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Birthday Advice Needed

Post by dtaai-maai »

My twopennyworth...

Be guided by your lady.
Give the girl (or rather her mother) cash in an envelope. 200-500 baht, again let your g/f decide.
This is the way
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

D - M

I will cede to your superior knowledge....

Thanks....

:cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Or buy the kid a nice toy. Some (poor) Thais are proud and lose face if given expensive things or cash... perceived as charity, but again, listen to your missus. She knows what is proper in the circumstance.

That being said, none I know would turn down a new TV or cash! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

hhfarang wrote:Or buy the kid a nice toy. Some (poor) Thais are proud and lose face if given expensive things or cash... perceived as charity, but again, listen to your missus. She knows what is proper in the circumstance.

That being said, none I know would turn down a new TV or cash! :D

HHF

The " Charity " thing was what I think my G/F was alluding too..... In her Thai way.....

I guess I never really got my head around what she was trying to tell me.....

All I could see.... Was the sheer delight the kid got from watching a TV.....

Another discussion tonight methinks......

Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Could it be time to upgrade your TV in the near future and then kindly give away your old TV to the lady and child? I don't know if that would save face for them or not but its something you could run by your girlfriend and both party's could win this way.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

My wife, still, always keeps track of presents given her. When I asked why she said "so I can give an equal value present back". I tried to explain that is not the spirit, but she always says "that's the way we do it in Thailand"

Perhaps your GF feels her friend could not reciprocate so would cut ties instead
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Arlo

Great suggestion.... Unfortunately not an option as new TV purchased about 6 weeks ago.... Thank you....

Migrant
Perhaps your GF feels her friend could not reciprocate so would cut ties instead
Spot on.... Good call....

After further negotiations.... D-M's suggestion wins it.....

Thanks guys

SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

You have not factored in the cost of a TV. Add cable, distraction from school studies, additional electricity, and the bombardment of commercials targeting children to buy things they don't need and feeling outcasted if they don't have them, etc. Let them enjoy coming to your house once a week. They will be most thankful and you will have contributed more than you think. You sound like a loving generous man who wants to help this hard working Thai Mother. But listen to your girlfriend. You can find other ways to make a difference.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I would do DMs thing and also buy a pretty dress or something.. wee girls always love that sort of thing and they are not expensive. :D
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

SunandFun

The additional costs that you highlighted did not even enter my head..... Thanks for pointing them out to me......

JW

D-M's suggestion wins it...... And I think we can also add in a few pretty girly clothes....

Thanks All.....

JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Mum will be able to give her little one a treat and little one will have a huge smile, be cool if you could get a picture :)