Dogs' best friend - New cafe serves dogs......

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Dogs' best friend - New cafe serves dogs......

Post by PeteC »

A make you smile story this morning. :D Pete :cheers:
483727.jpg
483727.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Dogs' best friend
New cafe serves dogs _ not on the menu but rather as customers in their own right

Published: 21 Mar 2013 at 00.00
Newspaper section: Business

Coffee & Puppy on Chaeng Watthana Road is very quiet during the morning on workdays but gets pretty crowded on weekends. Unlike other nearby restaurants, most customers heading here are walking their dogs _ "man's best friend".

‘We see it as a dog restaurant that allows people to come in, not a coffee shop for people that allows dogs to come in,’ says Mr Thanasut.

Most tables in the cafe have a small wooden box to set the dog in, surrounded by a bigger case to prevent it from running away.

The idea of opening a restaurant for puppies came after Thanasut Vudthivichai, 49, and his business partner Nantana Sukitjai, 44, saw dog cafes in Seoul's Gangnam district, each one sporting an individual, contemporary look.

The partners' modelling agency, which they've owned since 2004, has provided them many opportunities to travel to South Korea as they attempt to open the door for Thai models.

"Our friends in Korea said dog cafes have been around for a long time ago but only started booming four or five years ago as people began having fewer children, owning more dogs instead. [Mrs Nantana] and I had dogs, and we thought there would not be any obstacles to opening one ourselves here. We always feel uncomfortable when while travelling we see big signs prohibiting pets from entering places," said Mr Thanasut.

Two months after making the decision, the pair spent 500,000 baht to revamp 200 square metres of the first floor of their building to turn it into the Coffee & Puppy dog cafe, opening last August.

"We see it as a dog restaurant that allows people to come in, not a coffee shop for people that allows dogs to come in. Everything here is aimed at dogs and letting them just hang out here," said Mr Thanasut.

During the first month of operation, it was often mistaken for solely a pet shop or a coffee shop, as Thais still are still not very aware of dog cafes.

But after appearing on TV, people have started coming from farther afield _ from the other side of Bangkok or even Ayutthaya.

"It makes me feel happy to see the smiles on the faces dog owners' when they bring in their pets. One friend actually told me: 'I haven't seen you smile in ages. When you did modelling, you never smiled like this'," said Mr Thanasut.

Mrs Nantana came up with the menu by combining raw processed food with the Charoen Pokphand Group's Jerhigh pet treats.

Now there are 10 items on the dog menu and quite a few for the owners too.

"Sometimes people say their dogs are usually quiet, but once the dogs see their friends, they get all excited and run around together. We should not interfere with their fun, because if we do, they'll all just look at us like we're not one of them," said Mrs Nantana.

At the end of this month, Coffee & Puppy will launch a consulting service, with veterinarians on hand to advise dog owners once or twice a month.

"It won't be a clinic but rather a Q&A session. Often when you go see the vet, it means your dog is already sick, but what we're doing is preventing the dogs from falling sick. As we well know, sometimes treatment for our dogs costs more than for humans," said Mr Thanasut.

The partners plan to open two more branches of Coffee & Puppy in the near future, costing 500,000 baht apiece.

Products will be introduced under the cafe's own brand this year.

Coffee & Puppy also offers day and night care for dogs, priced from 300-550 baht excluding food, depending on the dog's size.

Mr Thanasut said dog cafes have become more popular in countries such as the US, South Korea and Japan.

"More and more people will own pets not just to be fashionable but because they really love them. Particularly in urban areas where people will have fewer children, dog cafes will become normal," he said.

"But to be truly successful in this business, you must be sincere and ask yourself if you are ready to pick up other dogs' poo."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Dogs' best friend - New cafe serves dogs......

Post by Lung Per »

Suppose tthose little fluffy creatues are what he calls dogs?
Fluffy things for fluffy people? :shock: q
A friend is only one click away
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

That's not a dog - it's a hairy rat. :banghead:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

:agree: Have to agree with the others, Pete; that place makes me want to snarl, not smile, followed by a deep and manly bark! :wink:
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If he opens a branch in Hua Hin, I'm going to turn up with my partners collection of assorted adopted Thai Soi mutts and he'll need some pigs thigh bones to follow those little decorated biscuit things!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

when I read the title I thought we were going to have dogs on the menu!!!!!grrr sick I know :guns: :twisted: :cuss: mai pen rai!!!!!!!, but after horses,cats, kangaroo etc.. why not
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

joelle wrote:when I read the title I thought we were going to have dogs on the menu!!!!!grrr sick I know :guns: :twisted: :cuss: mai pen rai!!!!!!!, but after horses,cats, kangaroo etc.. why not
You have to go up to Sakon Nakhon near Laos for that kind of thing!
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

when I saw the title I thought it was a restaurant for ugly women