The Thailand farming and cultivation thread

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
buksida

Re: The Thailand farming and cultivation thread

Post by buksida »

I've been growing a few chilies and peppers, some are not native to Thailand such as the Dorset Naga. Anyway the non native ones are getting eaten by some kind of tiny bug. Any suggestions as to what to spray them with to kill the parasites? Want to avoid chemicals if possible but realise it may not be.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:I've been growing a few chilies and peppers, some are not native to Thailand such as the Dorset Naga. Anyway the non native ones are getting eaten by some kind of tiny bug. Any suggestions as to what to spray them with to kill the parasites? Want to avoid chemicals if possible but realise it may not be.
You could try spraying with diluted washing up liquid.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....such as the Dorset Naga. Anyway the non native ones are getting eaten by some kind of tiny bug. Any suggestions as to what to spray them with to kill the parasites?
If it can eat a Dorset Naga, it's going to take some killing!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Tobacco mixed with water and sprayed on will keep many bugs away
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a go.

Any idea where you can buy Habanero and Ghost chili seeds?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Buksi.........I used to grow quite a lot of different herbs and vegetables up until about a year ago, and only stopped because of laziness really.

Base on my own experience, here are a few tips.......

Citrus, whether it be limes, oranges, or kaffir lime, is going to be attacked. There is some or other sort caterpillar that loves the taste of the leaves. They won't destroy the plants completely so can just be ignored, of if you have the time and patience, you can check for and remove the little buggers once or twice a week. Other than that, you will have to spray with a proper pesticide. I tried tried various home remedies and none of them worked. In the end I just gave up, and now the plants are a lot bigger and you don't even notice the half eaten leaves.

I've only grown the local chili varieties and some bell peppers, and found them to be relatively easy as far as pests are concerned, although they were also attacked sometimes. I've always grown the plants individually in various areas of the garden rather than all together in a single bed, so maybe this has helped.

All the other herbs and veggies were grown together, in a couple of beds and while I didn't have much of a pest problem, there were still some plants being severely attacked. I then tried mixing everything up and it worked wonders. That is, I stopped planting rows of the same thing, and instead just planted all different things intermingled. I had read about this before, and now I can confirm that it works. At least it did for me.

The only thing I have never managed to protect from pests is egg fruit. No matter what I do, the plants literally become infested with mealybugs. I even tried a "natural" insecticide spray from a garden place in town, and it didn't help at all.

One peculiar thing which I have also noticed is that pests seem to be worse at certain times of the year, usually when we are well into the dry season.

I've also read that growing carnations in between your herbs and veggies will keep most pests away, but I've not tried this.

If you want to spray, I would recommend go to a shop which you'll find about half way between the main road and the train line if you head west at the second set of lights, the road that takes you to the crazy traffic circle and G-Market. Just look for a place selling bags of dog foods and etc. They seem to have every type of garden spray available, as well as other stuff like fertilizers and so on. They'll also be able to advise you which type of spray to use if you can speak a bit of Thai. Nice folk and always very helpful.

As for the other seeds you're looking for.........just buy them on Ebay and ask the seller to post in a regular envelope, and via registered mail if possible.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Interesting advice Takiap, and although I've never heard/tried planting carnations in between the veggies, have heard that marigolds work well in the same manner.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, I think marigolds are the flowers I was actually referring to. :oops: Sorry, I'm not really a flower person myself. :D
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Buksida,
this site looks promising.
http://www.chilliseedbank.com.au/
Their Peter Pepper variety could be a good dinner party surprise item!!
I'm back in H.H again maybe Feb, could bring some up if you find anything interesting.

Also have some interesting seeds to swap.
Moon and Stars watermelon, an ancient variety, skin resembles the night sky and a good taster too.
Dragons Breathe Mustard, rare red variety,a verrrry hot taster too.
Tipuana Tipu tree, fast grower a great shade tree.
and an old variety of Cape goosberry to name a few
Complexity is so simply overrated
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote:Tobacco mixed with water and sprayed on will keep many bugs away
It's the nicotine that's released into the water and subsequently the spray. Nicotine has been a known pesticide for hundreds of years. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe a good time to revive this old thread now that food prices/shortages are becoming a concern.

We have a few fruit trees in the garden but have decided to embark on a project to clear a spare plot of land we own to cultivate veggies and turn it into a small communal farm for some of the locals to use and share. First crops will be easy stuff such as pumpkins, beans, eggplant, chilis, tomatoes, etc. Eventually, we hope to have a solar-powered irrigation system, composting corner, and possibly a polytunnel to keep the bugs out.

Anyone else getting into growing and out of Tesco?
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

buksida wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:54 am Maybe a good time to revive this old thread now that food prices/shortages are becoming a concern.

We have a few fruit trees in the garden but have decided to embark on a project to clear a spare plot of land we own to cultivate veggies and turn it into a small communal farm for some of the locals to use and share. First crops will be easy stuff such as pumpkins, beans, eggplant, chilis, tomatoes, etc. Eventually, we hope to have a solar-powered irrigation system, composting corner, and possibly a polytunnel to keep the bugs out.

Anyone else getting into growing and out of Tesco?
This sounds very interesting can you let us know the size of your plot please
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"This sounds very interesting can you let us know the size of your plot please."

If you want to grow food just yourself or family, you don't need much space, you can even do it in pots. For small spaces look up, French Intensive Gardening by John Jeavons. He tells you how to grow 3 times the amount of food in a small space.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

I will be most interested in your progress as i am hoping to grow a large variety of fruit trees and lots of veggies at our new plot down Pranburi way in Wang Pong
we are out the back of the river up amongst copious plantings of pineapples with a really rich red looking soil.
any tips, hints as to where you source your seeds / seedlings will be appreciated
i look forward to the updates on your project, it sounds amazing.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

bigston wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:18 pm I will be most interested in your progress as i am hoping to grow a large variety of fruit trees and lots of veggies at our new plot down Pranburi way in Wang Pong
we are out the back of the river up amongst copious plantings of pineapples with a really rich red looking soil.
any tips, hints as to where you source your seeds / seedlings will be appreciated
i look forward to the updates on your project, it sounds amazing.
Including plenty of photos