This Leasing Thing..........

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
pookie

This Leasing Thing..........

Post by pookie »

.........A couple of things puzzle me regarding leasing
1) I notice that a lot of properties i am looking at state the ownership method as (amongst other things) Thai own name, Foreigner own name, company etc
I am leaning towards the 30 year leasing option at the moment.
Does this mean i am wasting my time looking at properties, other than those stated as lease?

2) Could i run into problems should i come to sell any property, say, in 10 years?
Meaning that, as there is only 20 years left on lease, would this affect the selling price, or is the lease automatically renewed at sale time?

Answers on the back of a 1000 THB note if you please :wink:

Pookie
The views expressed here are my own.......and bloody good they are too !!!! :)
pinksquid

Re: This Leasing Thing..........

Post by pinksquid »

pookie wrote:.........A couple of things puzzle me regarding leasing
1) I notice that a lot of properties i am looking at state the ownership method as (amongst other things) Thai own name, Foreigner own name, company etc
I am leaning towards the 30 year leasing option at the moment.
Does this mean i am wasting my time looking at properties, other than those stated as lease?
You won't know unless you ask. Most places want you to go the company route but they may also be flexible. I know of developers due to the recent events who have begun to offer leasing.
pookie wrote:2) Could i run into problems should i come to sell any property, say, in 10 years?
Meaning that, as there is only 20 years left on lease, would this affect the selling price, or is the lease automatically renewed at sale time?
In the senario of selling before the lease is up I have seen two things stated, but I do not know how accurate they are (I am neither a lawyer or real estate person so I do not know if it is true):

1. You have it written in the 30 year lease that you can sell any time within the 30 years and the remaining time is transfered to the new individual(s).
2. The new buyer has to negotiate a lease with the owner of the land.

Hopefully someone else here has more insight. :thumb:
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!