Thai Style Lanna Houses

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
PeteC

Thai Style Lanna Houses

Post by PeteC »

In the 80's and 90's the below Lanna style house was extremely popular with retiring foreigners who had the money to build/relocate one. Is that still the case? They are beautiful and you only need to visit the Jim Thompson house/compound in Bangkok to appreciate why the style attracts people. I've stayed in one long term before, and I'm not sure I could do it for years. Cleaning and maintenance is continuous to keep it top notch, and it is dark unless you install light colored plaster board to brighten it up, and that basically destroys the traditional style. One point, if on a 30 year leasehold you can disassemble and move it if you want. :idea: Pete :cheers:
phpxSDJhAAM.jpg
phpxSDJhAAM.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Re: Thai Style Lanna Houses

Post by jingjoe »

My ex thai wife wouldn't buy because she they would have ghosts for sure!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There are two (of mixed style) in the area where I live that I'll photo and post over the weekend or on Monday. Both built and occupied by Germans. Thinking back, they were/are very popular with Germans perhaps as they (with an imagination) resemble a Bavarian style dwelling. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are some similar looking houses just before the airport tunnel. No idea what they are there for, as I don't think anybody has ever lived in them.

My wife's family home in Isaan looks similar as well. I've slept there a few times a long time ago, but opt for a hotel these days.

They look nice, and while ghosts don't bother me, insects do. They're too open/exposed to creepy crawlies for me :run:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think the ones just before the airport tunnel are show homes?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Huge maintenance costs if you want it to remain looking good, sunlight destroys wood in Thailand
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali