Solid wood floor vs Engineered wood floor

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Owen
Novice
Novice

Solid wood floor vs Engineered wood floor

Post by Owen »

Has anyone any experience of getting solid wood floor or engineered wood floor into their home in Hua Hin?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Solid wood floor vs Engineered wood floor

Post by StevePIraq »

No experience in Hua Hin but I had floating hardwood flooring overseas, the finish was fantastic, extremely hard wearing and easy to replace a section if damaged.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Pick the flooring that will resist the eventuality of termites. If you haven't noticed there are many termite control trucks driving around the city. Tile or granite is the only thing I would ever put on my floors.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

One of the guys in our development had solid wood floors installed throughout his fairly substantial villa when it was constructed and within a few years had to replace it all, at very substantial cost, due to warping and termite infestation.

Personally I agree with HHC, wouldn't touch a wood floor.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I've had both, wood and engineered, in the US. I agree with the others, this isn't the right climate for either of those floors.
Owen
Novice
Novice

Post by Owen »

Yes fair point, was looking at various companies around from Chang Mai to Phuket and emailing back and forth. Some claim their wood is termite resistant as they use special type of coating. But is it really? Could turn out a very costly investment. I do like wooden floors but probably best avoided in this particular type of climate..
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

They make some wood looking ceramic tile. If ordered and installed correctly, they look very nice.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Well I have loads of wooden furniture, not floors, skirting and architrave in wood. I have designed and supervised the build of some really nice wooden floors. Not a termite in sight. There again I have monthly pest control. Having watched guys I use on many occasions they craft their product with pride. The first job I worked on 12 years ago in Hua Hin I thought could be done in 4-5 days; It took a month and is perfect to this day. I have also seen some utter crap jobs on many developments. The guys we use are in high demand. If I had to recommend somebody local it would be Siam old teak. To do a wooden floor properly is not cheap so do it right.

Crazy 88
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, do not get led in to believing that just because you have ceramic tiles the termites will not be interested.
All houses have wood in one form or another, and it is no bother for an enterprising colony of termites to bypass the ceramic tiles.
Thailand in general, and Hua Hin in particular, are know haunts of termites, so you need to be aware and take precautions.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

crazy88 wrote:Well I have loads of wooden furniture, not floors, skirting and architrave in wood. Crazy 88
Same as us and we did experience a termite issue with some of the architrave, which was cut out and replaced, after treating the area and since then, touch wood (no pun intended :wink: ), everything has been fine.

We do also have and did at the time of the problem, monthly pest control, but then again you need to make sure that the company you get for that are reputable and use the correct pucker chemicals, otherwise you might as well just p*ss on it!
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have had solid wood flooring, South African Cherry Wood I think, on the upper floor of my house for 9 years, not a thing wrong with it. If you get regular termite treatment you should not have a problem
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I also have hard wood flooring throughout my house, excluding kitchen and bathrooms, which was laid by the developer, who originally built the house for himself. I was told the name of the redwood used but have forgotten the Thai name. It's hard as nails and I was told it's much harder than teak ant totally termite resistant.

A small off cut was left in my house and I later tried to saw it by hand with a very sharp handsaw...I gave up. I finally cut it with a metal bandsaw and made a set of graver handles using a metal lathe. Really really hard wood. Have had zero problems with termites but like others also have monthly pest/insect control
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

Have you checked out the arrow wood factory and showroom in Hua Hin? It's run by a Dutch guy and pretty much all of his product is exported to Europe but he does sell locally. I visited there a couple of months go and his engineered hardwood is some of the nicest I have seen. I decided to go with tiles in the end but if I was to go wood I would have bought his stuff. I would rate it exceptional versus the stuff you see at boonthavorn including their highest end product made by I think Thai German.

The factory and showroom is about 15 minutes from Hua Hin up soi 88 there is a map on www.arrow-wood.com.
Owen
Novice
Novice

Post by Owen »

Yes I came across Arrow-Wood but for whatever reason their webpage won't open. I'll call into his showroom directly in the new year. Saw his youtube videos.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Web page opens, check your setting, sometimes virus protection seems to prevent some sites opening.

This the address
13, 4 mo, TapTai, Hua Hin, Prachuapkirikhan,