Farang buying a house with a Thai lady

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Re: Farang buying a house with a Thai lady

Post by PBbeacher »

johnjar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am Tell me. Why is a usufruct useless?
HHTel...I agree! Usufruct beats all the other options hands down, it gives you lifetime security, your name is on title as a usufructee, and will go to your family when you expire.
But your 'lifetime' may then be at the mercy of those who stand to benefit from your expiry!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

PBbeacher wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am
HHTel...I agree! Usufruct beats all the other options hands down, it gives you lifetime security, your name is on title as a usufructee, and will go to your family when you expire.
But your 'lifetime' may then be at the mercy of those who stand to benefit from your expiry!
Thats a very morbid view, your a real Job's comforter, you must be a bundle of fun :(
Last edited by johnjar on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Land Office will honour a usufruct but they have to agree a usufruct in the first place. It is down to their discretion. Some offices are not happy with a usufruct between man and wife.
I'm afraid that's incorrect. The usufruct terminates on the death of the usufructee (assuming the usufruct was until death). The only way the property continues with tenants other than the owner is if the usufructee grants a 30 year lease to a third party and the usufructee dies before the lease is complete. In that case, the lease remains valid until the end of the 30 year period.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

johnjar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am

Thats a very morbid view, your a real Job's comforter, you must be a bundle of fun :(
Yeah, I realised after I wrote it how dark it sounded, but you'd be surprised what I've witnessed here, stuff you couldn't make up.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

PBbeacher wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm
johnjar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am

Yeah, I realised after I wrote it how dark it sounded, but you'd be surprised what I've witnessed here, stuff you couldn't make up.
Yes bad stuff happens but few and far btwn, and same happens in other countries, and I have been here with my Mrs. a long time and feel as secure here as anywhere.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

buksida wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:11 am It happens, land office bosses change, as do 'rules', nothing is set in stone here and 'law' is only down to the judge upholding it.

The old adage "only spend what you can afford to lose" is especially applicable to property in Thailand.
Nothing is set in stone anywhere and same applies to judges anywhere, also I bet there is more blokes lost out on property in uk than in here, thats for sure.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I don't get that, my lawyer told me a Usufruct is none transferable. And from what I have read it is none transferable.

"A usufruct interest expires upon the death of the holder of the usufruct and therefore cannot be inherited."

https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Usufructs.php
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

the lawyer told me that when you die the land and house can only go to the Thai family, not to farang heirs.

crossed with other post from Stevepiraq
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It really is a total rip off, you pay for everything and then lose it all one way or another.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

pitsch wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm the lawyer told me that when you die the land and house can only go to the Thai family, not to farang heirs.
This is also how I understand it. Even if you have kids together it is backwards in Thailand and property will go to her parents/family automatically in the event of death unless she has a will stating that it goes in trust to the children (under 18).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

pitsch wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm
the lawyer told me that when you die the land and house can only go to the Thai family, not to farang heirs.

crossed with other post from Stevepiraq
pitsch..Thats exactly correct! The lawyer told me the same.When the userfructee dies the land / house goes back to my Mrs , this was explained in detail in both Thai and English prior to us both signing :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

All the above is correct. You can't inherit a usufruct neither can you will it. However whilst you are still a usufructee (and alive) you can lease the land/house to a 3rd party. The maximum is 30 years. If the usufructee dies during that lease period, the usufruct is dead (excuse the pun) but the lease is still valid until the end of the lease agreement regardless of whether the usufructee is alive or dead!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel ..Your spot on again :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Stoppit JJ. You're becoming a fan. I can't handle it!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't get that, my lawyer told me a Usufruct is none transferable. And from what I have read it is none transferable.
StevePIraq..I never mentioned none transferable? My attitude has never been that of a Carpediem type of person, especially with regards to the future well being of my Mrs. when I,me gone :)