New Thai property tax law

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

New Thai property tax law

Post by zeitgeist »

A friend of mine recently mentioned something about a new law regarding property tax. I searched online and found reference to a proposed law which hasn't been passed, but this morning looking on facebook there was mention of it being passed and starting on 1st January 2015. Does anyone know anymore?
The site I found with reference seemed to suggest it was land only, or at least mainly targeting land speculation.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Property Tax

Post by Bristolian »

This BKK Post report gives some detail/Speculation
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... -this-year
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It seems it's true... just in time for me as we bought a couple of now empty building lots last year for own use or sale in the future! :(

[Mod edit: links to rival forums not permitted]
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

http://www.mcot.net/site/content?id=543 ... DtGjhbNpAE

Sorry I didn't continue with this thread when I found more info, if you read the above it suggests March 2015 will be the start date.

More details;

Unused land/vacant plots - tax rate 2% of value, value is determined by the Treasury Departments valuation.

Residential use - 0.1% of valuation.

Farming - 0.05%

There is a 'commercial use' rate as well but can't remember the details. The above is yearly.

There are lots of details which either haven't been decided or information is not being given eg. unused land is meant to be 'unused' for 3 years before the tax rate is applied, but does the 3 year exemption start from March 2015 or when the current owner took ownership? Who will police this? etc.

I'm trying to get more confirmed details but it seems quite hard to get solid facts.
buksida

Re: New Thai property tax law

Post by buksida »

Looks like the tax on land transfers has also been increased. Just returned from the land office and taxes were significantly higher than expected, officers confirmed the increase though did not stipulate how it was calculated.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson