Building on land

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
blobtec
Rookie
Rookie

Building on land

Post by blobtec »

Hi
Can anyone advice me on building your own property if you buy land
1 Is there any restictions on building on land, do you need planning permission ?
2 How high can you build
3 Is there reliable builders that wont rip you off
4 How difficult is it to get electric and water connected
5 Do the builders do footings
6 Has any buildings ever fallen down

Thanks Bob
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

1) Yes their are restrictions - you need planning permission
2) Depends where you are.
3) Their are but can you find one!
4) Can be very expensive
5) Good ones yes
6) Yes

Bob,

From the questions you have asked i think that you should not consider this option. It requires much more thought than you appear to have put in. You should be directing these questions to a lawyer, not a forum.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Also, do note that the title for the land and the title for the house are two seperate entities.

This probably stems from the fact that most older Thai houses, especially in the provinces, were made of wood, so if they needed to move, they would literally take the house down, move it to the new site, and rebuild.

I was painfully reminded of this just recently when some property was acquired for a highway project. The compensation was adequate to repay the bank loan, with a bit of change left over. Then they said, by the way, please take the house with you, we only want the land... a townhouse?
วินเชนท์
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Blobtec,

The infrastructure/services is what screws a lot of people up.
I know people who have had to sell their land due to these un-forseen costs.
If you are unlucky and DO NOT have adequate water/electric etc, then I have known costs can be as follows:
150,000 Baht for a well (water supply), sometimes you have to drill down through a granite rock layer to find water.
350,000-400,000 Baht for a transformer and posts to run your electric supply from the nearest 11kv or 22kv supply, IF the local electric supply is one that at 6pm starts becoming unreliable due to local demand and your air cons/showers etc won't run.
200,000 Baht per rai to build up the land, IF your land is low and subject to a bit of flooding.

All the above are worse case scenarios, but they are also situations I have seen in Hua Hin.

So you need to check out the above to make sure they wont apply to the land you want to buy.
blobtec
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blobtec »

Yes JW, before i actualy buy land, but getting a bit of advice before i consider all my options cant be a bad thing
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Is it just me, or is it scary that someone who knows nothing about building regulations, laws or practices in Thailand is planning on buying land and doing some building? If you're serious, you would be spending plenty of time in the country learning about these things. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but you're either very brave, very dumb or a wind-up.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

blobtec wrote:Yes JW, before i actualy buy land, but getting a bit of advice before i consider all my options cant be a bad thing
You are absolutly right blobtec. Before you invest anything, do your homework, and that's precisely your intentions with your posting.
(As far as I understand).
I know 2 people who bought land, and later built a house on their ground.
They both run into different kind of problems.
A Dutchman "lost" all his workers, they simply vanished one day. His house is still not finish 1 1/2 year later!
Another, a British guy, found out that the 3 rai land he bought was not 3 rai but 2 rai. He complained to the seller - in vain.
I'm sure you are able to buy land and have a happy ending, but then you need to know some honest thai people who are willing to help you in the process and knows the loopholes.
However, I'm sure that a lot of people succeded in their projects so why not you too blobtec? Good luck and please keep us informed what you decide to do.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
blobtec
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blobtec »

Hi
I have spent a lot of time in Thailand over the last 6 years, although not more than 4 weeks at one time. This is the reason that i am asking questions, i have a thai wife and have seen much of Thailand, mainly Phuket and Bangkok in the early days.I now feel comfotable with Hua Hin which is why i am looking to expand my interests here, we already own property in Khao Takaib. Im sure that i will make mistakes but the fewer the better. I would like to thank evrybody for thier input and assure evrybody that this is not a wind up.
One day maybe 5-8 years i would like to live in Hua Hin that is why i am trying to build up property as a income for that time,

Best regards Bob :)