Agent's commission on long term rental

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
KCOJ

Agent's commission on long term rental

Post by KCOJ »

I am looking to lease a condo for a long-term (12-24mth) rental and am being asked to pay agent's commission of approximately 6-7% of the monthly rental each month. Is this normal practice in Hua Hin as I am used to paying agent's commission as one upfront payment of about one months rent? Paying 6-7% a month sounds like I am paying the management fees of the agent, which the landlord should pay.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Re: Agent's commission on long term rental

Post by zeitgeist »

If you are renting through an agent the commission should be included in the price they give to you.
If not renting through an agent there's no reason to pay them a commission.

edit - sorry, yes commissions on rentals are a percentage of the monthly rent, not a 1 time fee (in most cases).
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

In my experience of renting two differently owned propeerties both exceeding 6 months I did not incur any agents fees, it is normal for these to be paid by the owner. However if you asked a particular agent to find you a rental property, which did not happen to be on their books this could be different, I suppose, but generally they would make an arrangement with the other agent.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

On the occasions we've rented places here, we only paid rent. I automatically assumed the owner pays the agent, and as such, it should be included in the rent. I might be wrong, but if it were me, I would find a different agent/condo. Let's just say, talk of additional fees would set my alarm bells ringing.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The advice you have been given (that I concur with) is that it is not normal for the renter to pay the Agent fees, but at the end of the day, if you are happy with the condo and the price is right then that's the main consideration.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

FYI - We charge absolutely no commission, just a small flat fee for a listing on Hua Hin's best read website.

For details contact us: www.huahinmedia.com
KCOJ

Post by KCOJ »

Thanks so much for your very helpful replies.

It appears as musungu suggested, that the property i was after was not on this particular agent's books, hence their need for an additional commission. Have now found the agent who listed the property so all good ... no commissions.