Looking for quality home builder in Hua Hin

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Greg
Novice
Novice

Looking for quality home builder in Hua Hin

Post by Greg »

I have detailed architectural plans from a Thai architect and am now looking for a builder in Hua Hin. Can anyone recommend a high quality local builder?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Looking for quality home builder in Hua Hin

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I had a very good builder build for me Tel: 0852122152
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just out of curiosity what is the rough going rate for a Hua Hin build these days per square meter (not including furniture, fittings etc)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Not in Hua Hin but top notch builder alanthebuilder.com
Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

buksida wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the rough going rate for a Hua Hin build these days per square meter (not including furniture, fittings etc)?
Think about 3000 - 3500 Buksi

Depending on many variables. Windows/Kitchen/Granite
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
buksida

Post by buksida »

I presume that doesn't include materials (blocks, cement, tiles etc etc).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That should include materials unless you are wanting something special or imported. That's twice what the rate was when we built our house a few years ago and our build included a reasonable level of materials, but we upgraded a lot to much more expensive replacements (ceramic to marble, better bath and kitchen fixtures, better wood doors, etc.) so that ran our cost up but still not nearly to today's rates.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Think about 3000 - 3500 Buksi
Wait, maybe that is only labor and not materials... or those numbers are short one zero...

100 sq meter house built for 350000 or less? :? I don't think that would be western quality.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I personally would wait until the exchange rate improves, i was lucky and started my build at 72 baht to the pound.
Also fixtures and fittings doubled the price of our build so what you think its going to cost you add another 30% and i dont think you will be to far away.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Waiting for the exchange rate to return to past level is a dream. I learned ions ago at my business that you can never predict future exchange rates Take what you have today and close your eyes and move on. Can't work backwards and get anywhere. Got to move onward.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

buksida wrote:I presume that doesn't include materials (blocks, cement, tiles etc etc).
No Buksi, that's a complete build labour only. I did get some quotes below 3K but they were cowboys!
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

JimmyGreaves wrote:that's a complete build labour only. I did get some quotes below 3K but they were cowboys!
Out of interest Jimmy, what did your total build end up per m2 for the house, ie: not garden, driveways, perimeter walls etc? No matter which way I cut and carve things I keep coming back to contractors costs around 10k/m2 upto 13.5k/m2, after adding in a few upgraded finishes, although not kitchen/granite/air-con and the like. This for an above average, quality build, but not a high-spec build.

Our builders now are probably around the 3k-3.5k mark labour only, which is probably on the higher side but, a big BUT, they won't let you down/cut corners/do a runner blah blah blah. Much much wiser to use a tried and trusted contractor, particularly for your own one-off build and your new to the Thai building scene. We need to sharpen up costs now though due to the market so looking to change builders to another Buriram bunch established in HH who's work is right up there, and they've priced it at 2,300/m2. But that doesn't include plant and enabling works, ie: mixers, wacker plates, welding machines, shutterng, store room & security guard, water/elec for building.
If you have to tanker in water, that and electric can be 400-500/m2 :shock: :shock:

At the end of the day Buksi you may get a 2.5k/m firm who are better than a 3.5k/m firm, but the best way you can guard against a didgy one is to look at his previous recent work, don't be shy about asking to see a few places it seems to be the norm. If all the previous customers are on holiday or dead, then you know what to do :wink:

And just about every story you here of where a builder has done a runner it's been in a situation where they had too much payment in advance of where the work was at, the more smaller stage payments, measured against specific progress milestones, the better. Sometimes even a 'good' contractor can be tempted it seems.

SJ
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Super Joe wrote:
JimmyGreaves wrote:that's a complete build labour only. I did get some quotes below 3K but they were cowboys!
Out of interest Jimmy, what did your total build end up per m2 for the house, ie: not garden, driveways, perimeter walls etc? No matter which way
SJ
I would say about 11.5K. pvc windows, bit of granite, 20 cm Qcon. Good paint, meter crawlspace, 2 storey.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That sounds like a good price JG, especially if it includes the finishing touches like air con, kitchen and bath fixtures, and all built in's (cabinets, closets, etc.).
Alanthebuilder
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Alanthebuilder »

In and around Isaan the cost we charge is between 17.000 and 19.000 B per 1 sqm .
Including everything except fitted kitchen / air cons / furnishings /
I'm sure the only added cost down there in Hua Hin might be the cost of pile footings if you build near the sea you will need these putting down before you build to add stability to the house and to stop subsidence , these vary in cost !