House market in Hua Hin

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Re: House market in Hua Hin

Post by jingjoe »

Great time to inspect houses and house areas with all this rain, some very newly built projects are flooded out.
On another note, if i buy a house for 4million bht and live in it for 5 years, i have saved 1 500 000bht in rent, so could discount that off my sale price if i needed to sell quick
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Midsman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:49 pm Dont spend money in a country like Thailand what you cannot afford to lose.
Couldn’t agree more, I call this “Rule Number One”!

Caveat emptor.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

jingjoe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 pm
On another note, if i buy a house for 4million bht and live in it for 5 years, i have saved 1 500 000bht in rent, so could discount that off my sale price if i needed to sell quick
I'd love to see your math on that. Makes no sense.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

RCer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 pm
jingjoe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 pm
I'd love to see your math on that. Makes no sense.
It's straightforward. If he didn't buy but spent 25,000 Baht per month renting after 5 years he has spent 1,500,000 on rent.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Pagey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm It's straightforward. If he didn't buy but spent 25,000 Baht per month renting after 5 years he has spent 1,500,000 on rent.
Yes, I knew that, but still no return on investment until the house sells at a profit above cost to maintain.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

RCer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm
Pagey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm It's straightforward. If he didn't buy but spent 25,000 Baht per month renting after 5 years he has spent 1,500,000 on rent.
Yes, I knew that, but still no return on investment until the house sells at a profit above cost to maintain.
No one has mentioned any return on investment, just the opposite in fact.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Theoretically if i sold the house for 3million ( 1 million less than i paid) i am up 500 000bht, then take off maintenance and monthly fees, probably come out square
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Pagey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm
No one has mentioned any return on investment, just the opposite in fact.
Discussing investment return aspect of house market in Hua Hin, if you bought in a good thriving area such as Bonkai [Soi 88 to 94] or Soi Naebkehardt, say 10 or 20 odd years ago, these areas have probably increased their value tenfold,and giving buyer a very good return on their investment and a home to boot :)
Ericg
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ericg »

Yes some very sound advice on this thread. I’m living in Thailand 14 yrs and have decided to relocate to HH and will rent until I can find a suitable house to live in. Just the 2 of us and no investment interest as we live here year round. I’ll be looking to spend 5mill so I’m hoping I can find something in a good location.
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

I dont know where you are moving from but I would say the exchange rates are not favourable at the moment if you have to transfer money from the EU or UK in order to buy.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

bert91157 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:18 pm I dont know where you are moving from but I would say the exchange rates are not favourable at the moment if you have to transfer money from the EU or UK in order to buy.
Was just looking at those. Definitely not good for US either.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Ericg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm Yes some very sound advice on this thread. I’m living in Thailand 14 yrs and have decided to relocate to HH and will rent until I can find a suitable house to live in. Just the 2 of us and no investment interest as we live here year round. I’ll be looking to spend 5mill so I’m hoping I can find something in a good location.
In my opinion Hua Hin is the best place to live in Thailand having lived here many years and is getting better all the time, its amazing how it has progressed from a sleepy little town to a booming and thriving community with so many amenities developing.

Don't be in a hurry and take your time as there are many good buying opportunities and, good luck!
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

RCer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm
bert91157 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:18 pm I dont know where you are moving from but I would say the exchange rates are not favourable at the moment if you have to transfer money from the EU or UK in order to buy.
Was just looking at those. Definitely not good for US either.
The currency markets go up and down like a yo-yo I remember in the early 80's when I first came to Thailand the fx rate usd/thb was 22, and again in 1997 the Asian market crash it went to nearly usd/thb was 50, since then things have stabilized, but the fact is now Asia is outperforming the west, and especially Thailand's economy is doing great, as is US economy, and now has stabilized at btwn thb 30 to 35,so the point is the Thai Baht is strong and may even go back to lower 20,s versus usd, and don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

My point is if someone wants to buy a home in Thailand or anywhere for that matter just buy, don't try to time the fx market, as doing so is a mugs game.Lets face it paper money is just paper and always devalues overtime whereas a property in any country in a good location is a tangible asset which will always increase value over the longer term.
MikaQ5
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MikaQ5 »

jingjoe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm
Theoretically if i sold the house for 3million ( 1 million less than i paid) i am up 500 000bht, then take off maintenance and monthly fees, probably come out square

So therefore ( as selling on a house in Hua Hin seems to be difficult - need to heavily discount because of such an oversupply etc ) what's the point of buying versus renting ( in Hua Hin area )

I have recently moved to Hua Hin and am thinking to buy also but it seems to be tying up money in a asset that will be extremely hard to sell in the future( even if it's leaving the asset to family in the event of passing on ) - that makes little sense to me anyway

It's an extremly interesting topic by the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

in the early 80's when I first came to Thailand the fx rate usd/thb was 22, and again in 1997 the Asian market crash it went to nearly usd/thb was 50,
Actually, the Thai Baht was pegged at 25 Baht to the US Dollar from the early 80,s up until it was floated on 2nd July 1997. It reached a low of 56 to the Dollar in January 1998.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!