Sheraton Hua Hin - Holiday from Hell

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
deptrai

Re: Sheraton Hua Hin - Holiday from Hell

Post by deptrai »

More mention of the weddings here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwoo ... ad-24.html

Once I was at the Marriott Courtyard (now Novotel) in Cha Am when a McDonalds convention descended upon the property. It looked just like the photos here. They took over all the common grounds and were chanting the Thai "I Love McDonalds" songs in the hallways until 10 PM. I bitched & complained to the hotel manager (actually only the Food & Beverage Manager would see me) and was refunded one night's stay with an apology and promise they wouldn't allow these types of events again.

I am now double booked at the Marriott, but in the event I do stay at the Sheraton, does anyone know if there is a place to rent a motorbike within walking distance?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

experienced similar to deptrai with conventions. They even took over the buffet breakfast area. Well we weren't banned from the buffet area, we just didn't get an ounce of peace or quiet any of the 3 days at breakfast. And there would be someone standing up and speaking, and it was like they expected the other guests to be quiet and remain seated when their speaker took to the floor. I was like a stroppy toddler making as much noise as I could and walking continually back and forth between the buffet and our table. I know someone else had it in another hotel where a convention took over the pool and garden area with various noisy team-building exercises. I definitely don't agree that all conventions confine themselves to the specific hired areas, they can also take over communal areas. Team-building bullshit around the pool would REALLy do my head in.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

Loua_oz, get my full sympathy. I know what it is like when it is wedding in SHH. We stay in Blue Lagoon, bur tge noise comes here every time.
We used to buy a sheraton-pass to use its facilities in the previous years, and i always felt sorry for those who came for a quiet holiday.
The only thing i can suggest - if the pool is crowded, come and swim in blue lagoon pool ;)
loua_oz

Post by loua_oz »

I went to the Blue Lagoon on my second day, it was August 1.
It was another extreme - not a sausage there. I swam for 90 minutes, only me in the lagoon, saw nobody other than cleaners (garden and pool). Only 2-3 houses had some sign of life (washing on balcony). Heard no voices, nothing, as if the place had been evacuated.
As you said, I could hear drums over the fence from Sheraton.

Will make a post later today about Blue Lagoon, I'm interested to know more.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

Ask me )) i'm here till december.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Updated "event" dates as follows:
November 9-15, 2017
November 21-24, 2017
November 26-29, 2017
December 7-10, 2017
December 10-13, 2017
December 17-20, 2017
December 21-23, 2017
January 15-18, 2018
January 18-21, 2018
January 27-29, 2018
February 9-12, 2018
March 15-18, 2018

They also redesigned the website so the "announcements" link is a bit easier to find now.

I ended up cancelling my reservations at both the Marriott & Sheraton even though I'm a lifetime Platinum Elite member. I pre-paid for a suite at my long-time favorite in the region...the Novotel between Cha Am & Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

deptrai wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am my long-time favorite in the region...the Novotel between Cha Am & Hua Hin.
I know that I'm going off subject, but I find this statement interesting.

In the UK I used to travel an awful lot with work, but after several bad experiences, I used to refuse to go if the only accommodation offered was Novotel or IBIS.

I was amazed a couple of weeks ago when some friends told me they were staying at Novotel at Suvarnabhumi Airport. My friends (in the nicest possible way) are hotel snobs, and they will only stay at decent hotels. I actually told them I wouldn't stay there if it was free. Now you say Novotel locally is your favourite.

I find it interesting that I have been tainted by some exceptionally bad experiences in the UK, and I've brought that bias to Thailand with me, even though the only similarity must be the brand name.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think the Novotel chain is good but never used them in the UK. At Swampy you get 24 hours from check in, not traditional hotel times, which makes great sense, if like me, you were waiting for a flight just past midnight and the other half needed to sleep through till morning, its a great option, Plenty of food choices, good pool, shuttle - or tunnel - to terminals.

The Novotel at Brisbane airport is equally as good and convenient and attached to a huge outlet centre! The other half liked that. I've stayed in a few others over the years and always found them good.
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

You just cannot compare Novotels in the UK to Novotels here in Thailand. My hotel of choice in BKK (Ploenchit). Best Club rooms by far.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 am Now you say Novotel locally is your favourite.

I find it interesting that I have been tainted by some exceptionally bad experiences in the UK, and I've brought that bias to Thailand with me, even though the only similarity must be the brand name.
I have no love for the Novotel brand. Well over 1,000 hotel nights and I've only ever stayed at two Novotels. This one in Cha Am and one outside of Paris. I like this property because of the location and building/rooms. It was a Courtyard (Marriott) three-four years ago and something else before that. I stayed at the Cera Resort a stone's throw away one year, but much prefer THIS Novotel.

Also not too far from the fishing park you've given me pointers on!
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

I've stayed in that Novotel for couple of times, whet it was Marriot. Not bad, and if it is quiter than Sheraton - that is the hotel of choise. By the way, if some of you have to stay for a night in Moscow Domodedovo airport - Novotel is a good option.