Resort Considerations

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Thaistyle27
Novice
Novice

Resort Considerations

Post by Thaistyle27 »

Hi,

I have a question for all the expats out there. When your family or friends come to stay in Hua Hin what resorts do you recommend them and why? What things do you take into consideration and what things would you say are most important when it comes to choosing a resort.

Is there anywhere online in particular that I should be looking and what do you think some of the best resorts in Hua Hin are? I really appreciate your help with this.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Re: Resort Considerations

Post by HarryVardon »

Everybody is looking for something different. The first questions are: What are you looking for (size, ameneties, etc.)? and How much do you want to pay? Another question is: Do you want something on the beach, in the mountains, on a golf course, etc.?
Thaistyle27
Novice
Novice

Post by Thaistyle27 »

Let me be more specific. I'm working on a tourism project for school and I want to get an idea of what expats living here and/or have vacationed here consider to be the most important aspect of choosing a resort in Hua Hin. What things really matter when deciding which resort to stay at.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Thaistyle27 wrote:Let me be more specific. I'm working on a tourism project for school and I want to get an idea of what expats living here and/or have vacationed here consider to be the most important aspect of choosing a resort in Hua Hin. What things really matter when deciding which resort to stay at.
The three most obvious considerations are location - near the beach, shops, bars, other facilities, depending on your preference. Quality of accommodation and staff service. Value for money. There will be numerous sub-sections within the main groups, but I can't think of any other major headings, although most people would also want a relatively quiet location so as not to get disturbed from noise pollution.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A lot of older tourists seem to like large resorts where everything is self contained. Beach, pool, shops, restaurants, bars and entertainment already there in-house. Little need to go roaming if they're content. The resorts love this type of resident for obvious reasons. Not everyone is interested in immersing themselves in a local culture, they're just here to enjoy the tropical experience. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Don't forget the money aspect. You have resorts costing as little as 1,000 Baht per night but there all also resorts costing more than 10 times that. Generally anything near the beech or in town is much more expensive than something out of town. For people who have never been to Hua Hin it is worth noting that the centre of Hua Hin is absolutely dead during the day and the beech is very bad. There is no boulevard as such. The nearest good beech to Hua Hin is Khao Takiab. The nearest place with a good boulevaard is Cha-Am. Be careful choosing a resort that is not in the centre if you don't have your own transport. Public transport here (although quite good and cheap) only runs down certain roads and stops quite early in the evenings. I see many tourists staying at resorts on the edge of town having to walk the same few kilometers every time they go out. Walking at night here on country roads can be very dangerous. Not because of criminals but because of very bad lighting, holes in the road, packs of street dogs, no footpaths, etc. Many resorts do provide transport but not always free and it's not always available at the time you need it.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Don't forget bomb sniffing dogs.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

The anaswer to your question is the same for anyone booking a hotel.

Cost is almost always the first consideration. Everyone would stay at a five star ultra luxury hotel if they could afford it.

Then location close to your idea of fun comes next. Remote, romantic, golf, beach, view, huge pool, kids, no kids...

Five minutes on Agoda will give to a huge list of hotels. Just break it down by cost. It you look at user ratings and commnets on Agoda that can be a good indication of how popular a resort is.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.