Hotel expedia booking

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hotel expedia booking

Post by Homer »

Blacky wrote:So really hard to say which one is the best, I prefer to book directly as I usually find for myself the best rate and no information is being lost through a third party.
+1

I use booking.com for their reviews and photos taken by guests, which can only be posted by those who book using their site.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I usually book withe agoda, which is cheaper than the direct hotel booking in 90% of the cases. But the last booking I cancelled at agoda (free) because I found the direct hotel booking about 10% cheaper. I read somewhere that agoda forbids the hotels to be cheaper. Agoda and booking.com have many reviews, only from real guests.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

pitsch wrote:I usually book withe agoda, which is cheaper than the direct hotel booking in 90% of the cases. But the last booking I cancelled at agoda (free) because I found the direct hotel booking about 10% cheaper. I read somewhere that agoda forbids the hotels to be cheaper. Agoda and booking.com have many reviews, only from real guests.
I think all the sites have their own reviews. But expedia will use trip advisor for hotels new to their site.

Another thing about expedia is that they have several sites, for example, a Thai one and a UK one. I use the UK one as it gives me the total price for my stay including taxes and VAT. The Thai site gives a daily rate minus taxes and VAT. Catering for different markets and regs, I guess.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hotel expedia flight booking

Post by HHTel »

I've never used expedia before. However, I've booked a flight for my daughter from here to Seattle Wed 3rd July. Booking was straightforward. No problems.
Went to EVA this morning just to check on her flights to find that EVA cabin crew have been on strike for a week and all flights next week are cancelled. I've had no mail or telephone call from Expedia. Managed to talk with their 'customer service' this morning who promised they would look into it and get back to me.
If I hadn't checked online this morning, I wouldn't have found out until Tuesday when 'checking in' online. Now comes the problem of getting a refund. The charge was on my credit card within an hour or so. What's the betting that a refund will take some time.
In the meantime, I have to find an alternative flight for her. I will have to pay for a new booking as an extra expense because I doubt very much that a refund will appear very quickly.
Very disappointed with Expedia.

Does anyone else have bad experiences with them?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not in any way trying to defend Expedia, and neither have I used them for flight bookings.

My only point is I think this could have happened using any booking service. What happens if next week's strike is called off? Will you even get a refund?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Reading the news, it looks like EVA and cabin staff are on a 'stand-off' with neither giving ground. It's now the longest strike ever in Taiwan. Whether the strike is called off or not, nothing will happen flight wise until after the 7th.
Eva have been block cancelling in 2 day chunks. All flights were cancelled up to and including the 5th. Their latest update is all cancelled until and including the 7th. These are confirmed cancellations.
When the strike is over, it's going to take time to get back to normal. They have planes and staff stranded all over the world. They're refusing to pay staff's expenses abroad as they're on strike! I'm surprised it hasn't hit any headlines.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 pm I'm surprised it hasn't hit any headlines.
It's certainly been in the news (not headlines) - I've known about it for a while. I guess I must have seen it on Sky News.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I use Expedia almost exclusively for booking flights. They are good by me. I hope your particular situation works itself out.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

For hotels I use booking.com and for flights the airline.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm
HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 pm I'm surprised it hasn't hit any headlines.
It's certainly been in the news (not headlines) - I've known about it for a while. I guess I must have seen it on Sky News.
I'm obviously reading the wrong news. I've just noticed that we booked the flight on the 19th and they went on strike on the 20th. :cuss:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Sorry to hear about your news HH.

But reading here now explains what I saw in Bkk last week (Friday). There was a 'travel fare'(?) for Taiwan in Emquartier, so I wandered in to have a look and couldn't help but notice that the desk for Eva Air was only staffed by one person and had zero interest from the crowds looking at flights and trip's. So now I know why.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:33 pm I'm not in any way trying to defend Expedia, and neither have I used them for flight bookings.

My only point is I think this could have happened using any booking service. What happens if next week's strike is called off? Will you even get a refund?
Yes, internet flight sites are computer algorithms, the problems come from EVA, not the booking company.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree that the problems come from the airline. However, when dealing with an agency as in this case, EVA will direct you back to the agency. The company that took the booking has a duty of care to the customer.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

The company uses Egencia (which is a "corporate partner" of Expedia) - had no problem with the latter ("companies"), just the former :roll: :wink:

My employer obviously has a corporate account, but I've also been able to use them (Egencia) with zero issue - possibly an Egencia vs Expedia issue where only corporate account users can use the former. However, should be the same "professional" service at least?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Eva Air fails to sign agreement with union, strike continues

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17045 ... -continues

Taiwan’s Eva Air failed to come to terms with representatives of striking flight attendants on Saturday night, and will renegotiate with workers on Tuesday, a union said.

The strike will continue until a collective agreement is signed, the union said in a statement posted on its Facebook page at midnight. Among the issues for negotiation that broke down was the carrier’s refusal to withdraw punitive measures against flight attendants, according to a statement issued by the company.

Earlier Saturday, a majority of the employees voted to accept an offer by the carrier on Friday, and were willing to end the 10-day strike.

The action started on June 20 and involves more than 2,300 workers. The cancellation of 392 flights between June 20 and 28 caused revenue losses of NT$1.75 billion (US$56 million), the company said late Friday in a statement to the Taiwan stock exchange.

Eva Airways estimates the strike will cause the cancellation of almost 2000 flights by July 12, and impact hundreds of thousands of passengers.

The strike is the second impacting an airline in Taiwan this year. Staff of China Airlines, Taiwan’s largest carrier, stopped work for seven days in February. Pilots reached a deal with China Airlines on compensation that was estimated to add about NT$114 million to the company’s annual costs.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!