Wheelchair-friendly terrain/accomodation

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Davidhen
Rookie
Rookie

Wheelchair-friendly terrain/accomodation

Post by Davidhen »

In Torremolinos, Spain, is a wonderful promenade overlooking the sea, where I pushed my wife in her wheelchair.
Does anyone know of such a place here. Unfortunately Hua Hin has proven not to be ideal and we have wound up miles from the coast, (Akamai Village until mid-March) in a desperate attempt to find wheelchair-friendly accommodation.
Last year we stayed at a marvellous boutique hotel called Kamala Dreams, in Kamala bay, Phuket, but I wanted to try somewhere different this visit. We stayed in Bangkok for the first 3 nights but couldn't wait to get out, concrete jungle!
I would welcome any suggestions for an excursion now, and for accommodation next visit, because we do like Thailand. We spent 3 weeks on Kho Samui in 2005.
Many thanks.
David.
PeteC

Re: Wheelchair-friendly terrain/accomodation

Post by PeteC »

http://www.rayongresort.com/en/index.php

This place was built back in the late 80's, early 90's and is in Rayong province overlooking Koh Samet. It's built on the tip of a national park and if you want privacy and quiet to just relax, read a book etc., this is the place. As you can see from the front page photos (wait for the slide to appear) it has a long boardwalk stretching out into the sea with rest stops/seats along it. It is wheelchair friendly as is the entire hotel. Some nice pools as well.

The problem is there is not much else to do. There is an aquarium nearby and a load of seafood restaurants. A short drive away is miles of beachfront road with nothing but road, sand, sea and some small shops/fishing shacks. Nice beaches and you could walk the road with a wheelchair as usually not much traffic, except maybe on a weekend. You are near Koh Samet a well which has some nice beaches and hotels, but wheelchair friendly would be questionable. Anyway, an option. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: If you get serious about this place, you please question them directly about wheelchair access. I recall ramps in major places, but don't recall if ramps everywhere like the pool, gardens.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Rone

Post by Rone »

Have a look at the Tira Tirra condo in Hua Hin. Wheelchair friendly approved and have seen many guests in wheelchairs enjoying their holiday.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Try the Prinz Garden Hotel.

This place is very wheelchair friendly with ground floor rooms and has many returning guests. I don't have a physical disabilty myself, I just I think its a fantastic little hotel, really friendly owners - German/Thai and their young family. The reviews on sawadee (link attached) reflect my opinion.

However, generally, Hua Hin isn't a user friendly place for those in a wheelchair, but email the owner with any queries and he'll be able to offer you any advice you need.

http://huahinforum.com.r24.asia/632515/ ... rt/cur=THB
Talk is cheap
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I have to agree with David that overall HuaHin isn't the easiest place for wheelchair access. As he will know it's not just the hotel accommodation. It's navigating the roads and sidewalks - getting into bars and cafes etc - the kerbs - not being able to use cheap transport - so many obstacles are there which those of us who are able to walk often don't see. Even the main access to the beach is impossible.
Added to that is the often dubious reliability of elevators in hotels, and the worry about evacaution procedures if needed.
It is a sad fact that Thailand is still lacking in provision for people with disabilities. That said there are more wheelchair users around HuaHin than there were a few years ago. I would guess that they stay mainly in the Hilton - or more likely in the Sofitel. Clearly thorough research has to be done before a trip. It is very easy to see how disabled people could end up virtually isolated in some of the resorts like the Dusit. Fine - until they want to venture further afield.
Rail travel is pretty much out of the question as well. Boarding ferries to some of the islands ditto. (Accessing ferries to Kho Samet has hopefully improved since i went there in the 90's Pete and kicked off big style about the 2 planks.)
To be honest it is the less developed parts of Thailand which are more likely to provide a better experience for wheelchair users. The towns which still have fairly quiet roads and low rise buildings. Guest houses on one level. No huge kerbs etc. But these places also tend to have limited transport links.
Not a great deal of help I'm afraid. On the plus side there are always Thai people who are happy to help when they see farang struggling to cope. It's just a shame that there doesn't yet seem to be any western tour operator which can cater fully for the needs of people who want to see Thailand but have some limitations.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Davidhen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Davidhen »

Many thanks for those replies.
David
cookmanchef
Professional
Professional

Post by cookmanchef »

I would also recommend taking a look a little further out, Dolphin Bay is flat with a 6km long beach and very little traffic. Ground floor accommodation is easily available and there is a good choice of restaurants. Also regular mini bus shuttles.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

There are guys around who have disability regarding walking etc

A couple have made to measure wheelchair drive on buggies or trikes but although I see them I do not know them so difficult to pick their brains. There are at least two who are up and down Petcha daily and one does hit Bintabloc and get plenty of assistance hawling him into bars. If I manage to chat to one of them I'll get you some details
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Slightly off topic Richard but I have seen trike motorbikes in the UK adapted to allow the driver to get on them via a drop down rear flap, and simply drive them while still in the wheelchair. Seems a simple enough adaptation which in Thailand would probably be very cheap to do.
Mobility scooters also seem scarce in the LOS. The only place I've seen a dealer for them is in ChiangMai - but I would think there must be somewhere in Bangkok as well?
Back to the OP though, and the question of promenades. A quite British thing I guess, but the best thing for beachside wheelchair use, as obviously they are impossible to push on any sand/slopes etc. The only place I've come across a proper 'prom' in the LOS is NongKhai, where it stretches along the Mekon bank for maybe 2 miles? giving easy access to the bars and restaurants along the river front as well. Surely there are others?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Davidhen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Davidhen »

Thanks again,
I too have seen those "ride-on-reverse-off" trikes, both here, and in the UK. Alas, my wife cannot drive. She has a mobility scooter back home ( 4 mph) but I always accompany her, and that's not just for her welfare either!
I'll have a virtual look at those 2 places you mentioned though.
Thank you.
Dianachris

Post by Dianachris »

Jeeny
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jeeny »

Davidhen wrote:In Torremolinos, Spain, is a wonderful promenade overlooking the sea, where I pushed my wife in her wheelchair.
Does anyone know of such a place here. Unfortunately Hua Hin has proven not to be ideal and we have wound up miles from the coast, (Akamai Village until mid-March) in a desperate attempt to find wheelchair-friendly accommodation.
Last year we stayed at a marvellous boutique hotel called Kamala Dreams, in Kamala bay, Phuket, but I wanted to try somewhere different this visit. We stayed in Bangkok for the first 3 nights but couldn't wait to get out, concrete jungle!
I would welcome any suggestions for an excursion now, and for accommodation next visit, because we do like Thailand. We spent 3 weeks on Kho Samui in 2005.
Many thanks.
David.
Hi David,

Maybe one of these accommodations will suite your needs. http://www.gehandicapten.com

Jeeny