Luxury Hotels in Hua Hin

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Luxury Hotels in Hua Hin

Post by Spitfire »

You should see the pics of his garden on previous threads, ha ha, some rare photos of it around somewhere on here, I think. :laugh:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

I see that neither the Sofitel nor the Marriott are forum sponsors so I feel free to make the following comparisons.
I stayed at the Sofitel two years ago, admittly in a ground floor room with garden area. We could not fault it beyond minor things such as waiting in the open air reception air when kitted without a fan. I pity the reception staff on hot days.
This October we stayed at the Marriott: Mrs JimBob’s choice.
Staff excellent as good as Sofitel.
My wife spent extra time in the bedroom through back pain and one day to cheer her up, the room maid left on the bed a wonderful elephant made from towels.
IMG00079-20101025-1318.jpg
Breakfast quality about the same, enough to also cover lunch, if having a late breakfast after morning walks.
Bloody tiny red ants in the bedroom was a distraction. Leave cup unwashed for twenty minutes and it was crowded like a Man U home game.
Being there for an end of Buddhist Lent long weekend was an unexpected hassle. The Executive chef said they were 110% booked. Lots of HiSo Thais everywhere! I must avoid long weekends next time. Occupancy dropped to 50% afterwards but boosted by bus loads of Russian Travel Agents on tour. (Interesting to see white Russian starfish by the pool quickly change colour.)
The Marriott pool to me is unsafe being 1.5 metres minimum except for the Cabana area. No spring board but 3 metres deep one end.

I always bring a small backpack to cart washing to and from the nearest laundry and to bring in shopping, drinks etc. We note the mixer brand names in the fridge and duplicate from the 7/11 and just replenish used stocks. Are we miserly? Probably. but what we save goes to a better room cost.
I did leave a half bottle of bourbon with staff member who went the extra yard. His eyes lit up, a friend for life. (Suitcase weight reduction strategy)
My choice would be sofitel espcially for location and elegance.
Finally, we over-nighted at the airport Novotel on the way home. Expensive but faultless, nearly 5 star.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

PET wrote:
Siani wrote: I do not think you should take their stuff out and replace it with your own. Just be aware that the cost of "non free" water is extremely high. I will be going to the 7-11 to buy water, a different brand from the hotel. I will not hide the fact. If I had bought a bottle of water from outside the hotel to drink for example,while out, I would not be expected to throw it away on entering the hotel. I will keep a few bottles in the wardrobe (stock) and a bottle which I want to use in the fridge. It is their loss, I will not be caught again and have to pay 250 baht for a bottle of water, about £5, it is madness. The water bill for the 14 days was just under £140. Also the hotel, which was nice, should realise that this leaves a sour taste in the mouth to guests when paying the bill and leaving. Here I am after 14 days of enjoying relaxing in a good hotel, ending up talking about water. I should be telling you all how great the hotel was instead of the rip off water charge! Sofitel, take note if you are reading this please! :tsk:
Surely there was a price list so that you were aware of the cost of a bottle of water ?

This does not excuse the exorbitant cost though !
No, not an obvious one anyway. There were so many different bottles of water. One large each side of the bed, 2 in bathroom, 4 in fridge mini bar, also cupboard with spirits with another 2 bottles. The bottles by the bed had metal caps. The minibar ones Evian, screw top I expected to pay for those ...but not for the ones on the bedside (warm) I did think came with the room. The price they charge for the room, you expect free water. also you do not want ot spend time sorting out which water is free and which is not. They should clearly label it "This water is 250 baht) a little tag that hangs around the neck of the bottle. Also I think all chargable water should be kept in the fridge minibar, then you will not boil it by mistake for making coffee.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Jimbob wrote:I see that neither the Sofitel nor the Marriott are forum sponsors so I feel free to make the following comparisons.
I stayed at the Sofitel two years ago, admittly in a ground floor room with garden area. We could not fault it beyond minor things such as waiting in the open air reception air when kitted without a fan. I pity the reception staff on hot days.
This October we stayed at the Marriott: Mrs JimBob’s choice.
Staff excellent as good as Sofitel.
My wife spent extra time in the bedroom through back pain and one day to cheer her up, the room maid left on the bed a wonderful elephant made from towels.
IMG00079-20101025-1318.jpg
Breakfast quality about the same, enough to also cover lunch, if having a late breakfast after morning walks.
Bloody tiny red ants in the bedroom was a distraction. Leave cup unwashed for twenty minutes and it was crowded like a Man U home game.
Being there for an end of Buddhist Lent long weekend was an unexpected hassle. The Executive chef said they were 110% booked. Lots of HiSo Thais everywhere! I must avoid long weekends next time. Occupancy dropped to 50% afterwards but boosted by bus loads of Russian Travel Agents on tour. (Interesting to see white Russian starfish by the pool quickly change colour.)
The Marriott pool to me is unsafe being 1.5 metres minimum except for the Cabana area. No spring board but 3 metres deep one end.

I always bring a small backpack to cart washing to and from the nearest laundry and to bring in shopping, drinks etc. We note the mixer brand names in the fridge and duplicate from the 7/11 and just replenish used stocks. Are we miserly? Probably. but what we save goes to a better room cost.
I did leave a half bottle of bourbon with staff member who went the extra yard. His eyes lit up, a friend for life. (Suitcase weight reduction strategy)
My choice would be sofitel espcially for location and elegance.
Finally, we over-nighted at the airport Novotel on the way home. Expensive but faultless, nearly 5 star.
I like the Novotel too, I joined the A club which you get points. The hotel is good value for money. Anyway you are not being miserly, I call it sensible. Why waste money? Some hotel are on to the "replacement" bit. They put white seals on the cans of beer and coke to stop switching them. Best to get it before you go in the 7-11's have a chilled drinks section.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I used to travel all over the World with my last job. One of the things that my Company would do when making a hotel booking for any of us, was tell the Hotel that the Mini Bar MUST be emptied prior to our use. If they did no want to do it the Company would not use that Hotel.

Probably get some strange arguments about it in Thailand, I do not know, as it never came up. But if you are hiring the room, then you should have the right to decide what is in the fridge.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Nereus wrote:I used to travel all over the World with my last job. One of the things that my Company would do when making a hotel booking for any of us, was tell the Hotel that the Mini Bar MUST be emptied prior to our use. If they did no want to do it the Company would not use that Hotel.

Probably get some strange arguments about it in Thailand, I do not know, as it never came up. But if you are hiring the room, then you should have the right to decide what is in the fridge.
Yes agree, a great temption if you were an alcoholic too!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I've spent roughly eight months a year for the last ten years living in hotels and we always get the mini-bar emptied to use for our own things.
Of course if you're working for a big company that spends a lot of money at a hotel, they'll do anything to keep the trade.
tonymoor
Suspended
Suspended

Post by tonymoor »

[Mod edit] Post removed, we do not permit links to our competitors.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've booked every hotel I've stayed in for the last seven or eight years through Agoda. Good trustworthy service with a lot of info on each property and if you join (free) you earn points with each booking that you can use later to reduce the price of future bookings.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
tonymoor
Suspended
Suspended

Post by tonymoor »

Deleted - Moderator actions are not to be discussed on the forum.

If you would like to discuss any moderator actions, PM any moderator or Admin with your comments.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Suggestion: HHAD should contact (solicit) Agoda as an advertiser. I have noticed they advertise widely on other Thai sites including other forums. They have deep pockets and would probably jump at the chance to advertise on another popular forum.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We already have a hotel affiliate with Sawadee dot com (link below) Agoda offer identical hotels at virtually the same rates so it would be pointless us setting up another affiliate.

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin- ... okings.php

It is also mindless allowing affiliate links that generate income for our competitors (whoever they may be today) - common sense covers that one! tonymoor, you have made your status clear, consider this an official warning, you will get only the one.
tonymoor
Suspended
Suspended

Post by tonymoor »

I really thought this was a forum for discussion and an educational forum for members.Ref you deleting my comments only means that you’re not open to suggestions for your members as I see it. As it’s not promoting your income through your advertisers.
Therefore if you don’t allow comments suggestions/links via non related competitor forum sites and helpful guides/tools for your members , which by the way are your number one priority as if you don’t have members/guests you don’t attract paid advertising.You dont have an equal playing field.
Maybe taking Rockstars suggestion above would help the members of HHAD and also help your advertising stream.
Merry Christmas
tonymoor
Suspended
Suspended

Post by tonymoor »

Lev
If this is how the site is run with threats of official warnings, count me out.It seems your advertisers are more important then your members,
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

As you wish - you are counted out and suspended for a month, how we run the site is our business, not yours.

Would you expect to see the Bangkok Post running promotions for The Nation? As stated, common sense covers the fact that we don't allow links where competitors generate an income through affiliate websites, we offer identical services here on HHAD.