Hua Hin to Cha Am

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
JAGfx

Hua Hin to Cha Am

Post by JAGfx »

Hey guys, as newly arrived in HH, just wondering what the best way to get to Cha Am for a day trip so we can check it out. We don't have access to a car and there is no way in hell my wife is getting on the back of our rented scooter for such an adventure.

So that leaves taxis, buses or trains. Ideally a local bus would be handy and probably the cheaper option. Does anyone have any info on these regarding cost and bus stops etc? If not, more than likely a taxi, but then I would be wondering on what a fair price would be one way. And I guess that leaves the train. That I can probably find out for myself.

I did find an old post from back in 2011, but things around here change quickly. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin to Cha Am

Post by Big Boy »

Forget the train. Very unreliable, and very little stops at Cha-Am.

Bus would be your best bet. The red/orange buses to Petchaburi are frequent and cheap.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Thanks big boy - trains removed from my list.
I was under the impression that Petchaburi is the name given to the whole province, so I'm not sure what you mean. I think I've seen those buses around but not sure where you catch them. We live down near the intersection Soi 108 and the main road.
Thanks for all your assistance on this thread and the others also. Cheers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Petchaburi is both a city and province. The buses go to the city.

The buses you see near Soi 108 will be the Pranburi versions and are generally a little smaller.

The buses live in the scruffy car park to the right of Soi 70. I don't think (but don't know) that there are any designated bus stops. Just stand North of Soi 68 and flag one down. hopefully somebody can advise the proper protocol.

Points 41; Position 18
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

No worries. Thanks mate.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The public (orange) buses go through Cha Am to Petchaburi during the day time.
They leave HH from here - http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-map.htm - grid B3. You can't miss them.
Think they leave every 20 mins and should take approx 30 mins to Cha Am. Price about 30 THB.
It'll drop you off at the main crossroads in Cha am and then make your own way from there.
Don't think they run after 6pm - or basically when it's getting dark - so be careful about the times they pass through CA from Petchaburi back to HH. Can't help you there.
You can just flag them down on the road (Petchkasem) and they drop off as you want as well.
I love those buses. Wooden floorboards, fans in the ceiling, windows open and just crawling through HH. I promise you, they speed up once through the suburbs.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Iomuamart,

Thanks very much for the specific detail. That will make our life easier indeed. Much appreciated, as are all replies here. This forum is a great source of info. Cheers.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

JAGfx wrote:Iomuamart,

Thanks very much for the specific detail. That will make our life easier indeed. Much appreciated, as are all replies here. This forum is a great source of info. Cheers.
I wouldn't give up on the train completely, you might not want to use it as regular transport, but try it once just for the experience - there are a reasonable number of trains between HH and Cha Am, so as long as you're not in a desperate hurry you should be ok.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Thanks Danny Boy. We were always planning on catching the train one day anyway, but looking at a longer trip. Maybe down to Singapore or up to CM. We're in no rush most of the time, but I wasn't sure if it was a viable option for a short trip to Cha Am. I have heard that trains can be delayed by quite some time so I wouldn't want that to cut into a day trip up the road. Cheers.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

JAGfx wrote:Thanks Danny Boy. We were always planning on catching the train one day anyway, but looking at a longer trip. Maybe down to Singapore or up to CM. We're in no rush most of the time, but I wasn't sure if it was a viable option for a short trip to Cha Am. I have heard that trains can be delayed by quite some time so I wouldn't want that to cut into a day trip up the road. Cheers.
I live fairly close to the track between HH and Cha Am so can hear when a train passes. I reckon that during the day the trains run about 2 an hour in each direction, so doubt you will have to wait that long even allowing for delays/cancellations. Obviously a local run is a completely different proposition to an overnight trip south or north, but still an experience worth trying.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But how many stop at Cha-Am? I haven't looked for a while, but the last time I looked it was 1 per day.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:But how many stop at Cha-Am? I haven't looked for a while, but the last time I looked it was 1 per day.
Im sure it is much more than that, but rather than guess I will ask my wife to enquire and post the outcome.
Just found this which I believe is still current.

From Hua Hin to Cha Am by Train

Departure : 06.10 Arrival 06.33 - price 6 Baht
Departure : 11.28 Arrival 11.53 - price 6 Baht
Departure : 14.10 Arrival 14.33 - price 6 Baht
Departure : 02.12 Arrival 02.33 - price 26 Baht
Departure : 04.11 Arrival 04.35 - price 26 Baht

From Cha Am to Hua Hin by Train

Departure : 11.18 Arrival 11.53 - price 6 Baht
Departure : 13.11 Arrival 13.35 - price 6 Baht
Departure : 17.21 Arrival 17.45 - price 6 Baht
Departure : 19.44 Arrival 20.15 - price 26 Baht
Departure : 22.26 Arrival 22.47 - price 26 Baht
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Where's that train time info from Dannie ?

The reason I ask is I was checking times last week as we want to take our son for his first train ride so decided on HH to Cha Am with my wife driving to Cha am and collecting us there.

I always use this website to check local train times :

[i]Mod edit: link removed in accordance with forum regs.[/i]

which I thought was correct and current but maybe not but it does give the train number and details which is useful.

The important factor IMO is to check the origin of the train because if they set off from say Lang Suang at
5.45 , train no 254, and due to arrive at HH at 11.46, they will invariably be very very late, sometimes hours. A friend of mine regularly travels to and from Hat Yai and is often delayed by 1-2 hours.

The only one I considered using the above website was train 262 at 14.10 as it appears to originate at HH and still gives us time to spend an hour or so on the beach but it looks like I will have to visit the station and confirm. However there is still no guarantee it will be on time but less likely of a lengthy delay.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Thanks for the train timetable Dannie Boy. Wonder why such a difference in price at certain times. Maybe a different class of train??

I have been doing a bit of research on train travel around Thailand and the rest of the world. There is one good site that is full of info that other readers maybe interested in called www.seat61.com

Cheers
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pagey wrote:Where's that train time info from Dannie ?

The reason I ask is I was checking times last week as we want to take our son for his first train ride so decided on HH to Cha Am with my wife driving to Cha am and collecting us there.

I always use this website to check local train times :

Mod edit: link removed in accordance with forum regs.

which I thought was correct and current but maybe not but it does give the train number and details which is useful.

The important factor IMO is to check the origin of the train because if they set off from say Lang Suang at
5.45 , train no 254, and due to arrive at HH at 11.46, they will invariably be very very late, sometimes hours. A friend of mine regularly travels to and from Hat Yai and is often delayed by 1-2 hours.

The only one I considered using the above website was train 262 at 14.10 as it appears to originate at HH and still gives us time to spend an hour or so on the beach but it looks like I will have to visit the station and confirm. However there is still no guarantee it will be on time but less likely of a lengthy delay.
I found it here
http://www.around-chaam.com/hua-hin-cha-am-train.html

I have no doubt that many of the trains run later than scheduled, so I'd be inclined to take the train only one way and the bus the other way.