Hua Hin to Cha Am

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Hua Hin to Cha Am

Post by Pagey »

OK thanks Danny, I will check at the station to be sure.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:I have no doubt that many of the trains run later than scheduled, so I'd be inclined to take the train only one way and the bus the other way.
When I used to come here on holiday, we always had a day at Cha-Am using the train. We were always at least an hour late going, and the 17:21 homeward train never arrived until at least 19:30. That coupled with the taxi to and from the beach, it never made for a great day out - memorable though :banghead:

When I said earlier not many trains stop there, I still stand by that, because quite a few are at unrealistic times for a day trip.

For a traditional day trip, there is only the 11:28 outbound and the 17:21 & 19:44 (a bit late) inbound.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

All good guys as did the big trip from HH to CA today. The wife and I did try to flag down an orange local bus near Soi 106, but that wasn't going where we were going. Ended up getting near the main bus stop in town where we saw another orange bus. I asked the driver if he was heading to CA, and he told us to jump on. We were the only ones on it. We only drove around the corner and he pulled up behind a smaller orange bus and told us to get on that. This was starting to be a real mystery tour.

Anyway we started heading out of town, heading north at a snails pace. We we were trying to work out the protocol for payment as we saw locals get on and off without paying. We also weren't sure where to get off, but I have the map app called maps.me on my phone which doesn't require any data and I knew that we would go past Narathip Alley, which would be a good stop to get off. All good as that is exactly where he advised us to get off. Charged 50B for both of us and pointed across the road to where to catch it back.

Hit CA for a few hours. Impressive and quiet compared to HH. But it was a Tuesday. I'd imagine it would be much busier on the weekends though. We walked down to the beach which was just over 1km. Couldn't believe how many quite large restaurants there were along Narathip Alley, and most of them were displaying pigs and chickens. Also couldn't believe all the umbrellas on the beach. Makes HH beaches look pretty quiet. Good day there but probably not long enough.

Headed back to the bus stop but had to stop half way for a cold beer due to the heat. There is also a minibus stand at the bus stop and the guy there was trying to charge us 40B each, even when his sign clearly said 30B. Just on principle, decided to wait for an orange bus (without aircon), which arrived a few minutes later. Back to HH via refuel stop, and back to the bus depot in town. Another 50B, and then a short walk to a waiting Songthaew for the trip back to Soi 106. Interesting day, good fun catching the local bus, and glad we did it. Thanks for the tips guys.....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

JAGfx wrote:All good guys as did the big trip from HH to CA today. The wife and I did try to flag down an orange local bus near Soi 106, but that wasn't going where we were going. Ended up getting near the main bus stop in town where we saw another orange bus. I asked the driver if he was heading to CA, and he told us to jump on. We were the only ones on it. We only drove around the corner and he pulled up behind a smaller orange bus and told us to get on that. This was starting to be a real mystery tour.

Anyway we started heading out of town, heading north at a snails pace. We we were trying to work out the protocol for payment as we saw locals get on and off without paying. We also weren't sure where to get off, but I have the map app called maps.me on my phone which doesn't require any data and I knew that we would go past Narathip Alley, which would be a good stop to get off. All good as that is exactly where he advised us to get off. Charged 50B for both of us and pointed across the road to where to catch it back.

Hit CA for a few hours. Impressive and quiet compared to HH. But it was a Tuesday. I'd imagine it would be much busier on the weekends though. We walked down to the beach which was just over 1km. Couldn't believe how many quite large restaurants there were along Narathip Alley, and most of them were displaying pigs and chickens. Also couldn't believe all the umbrellas on the beach. Makes HH beaches look pretty quiet. Good day there but probably not long enough.

Headed back to the bus stop but had to stop half way for a cold beer due to the heat. There is also a minibus stand at the bus stop and the guy there was trying to charge us 40B each, even when his sign clearly said 30B. Just on principle, decided to wait for an orange bus (without aircon), which arrived a few minutes later. Back to HH via refuel stop, and back to the bus depot in town. Another 50B, and then a short walk to a waiting Songthaew for the trip back to Soi 106. Interesting day, good fun catching the local bus, and glad we did it. Thanks for the tips guys.....
I used to cycle down Narathip Alley quite often and the sight/smell of the pigs being spit roasted was very tempting - just as well I normally cycled with no money in my pockets. Your very correct about it being much busier at the weekends when the Bangkokians invade, but then again, so is HH but probably to a slightly less extent - the Thais seem to prefer Cha Am. Glad you enjoyed your experience, maybe next time visit on a Wednesday and visit the weekly night market which is huge and kicks off late afternoon, although you will probably then need to take the minivan back, but over a short distance they are relatively safe. You get quite a gathering of Falangs eating/drinking/people watching in the market area.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

COOR BLIMEY _ train from Hua Hin to Cha Am? - then I must be missing something or have too much to do - MINI BUS FOR ME THANKS THERE AND BACK AND NO PROBLEMS FOR MANY YEARS!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PET wrote:COOR BLIMEY _ train from Hua Hin to Cha Am? - then I must be missing something or have too much to do - MINI BUS FOR ME THANKS THERE AND BACK AND NO PROBLEMS FOR MANY YEARS!
As a regular means of transport, I can understand why people use a minibus or the Orange bus. I've driven the route well over a hundred times and the journey becomes somewhat boring, so even as a once-off, taking the train might take you 45 minutes but you would see a completely different landscape.