Swiss Sheep Farm, Cha-Am

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Swiss Sheep Farm, Cha-Am

Post by Big Boy »

Situated just North of Cha-Am off the South Bound Highway. As you approach the turn off for Cha-Am and Hua Hin it immediately before the PTT gas station. In fact this area is becoming quite a magnet for visiting Bangkokians with 3 ‘photo taking opportunity’ attractions in a very short distance i.e. just North on the same carriageway is Camel Republic (due to open last month – Thai time), and a little further North on the other carriageway is Santorini.
Roadside sign - Swiss Sheep Farm
Roadside sign - Swiss Sheep Farm
DSC04180b.JPG (111.26 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
This place is somewhere that I’ve passed many times and have said that I would never cross their threshold. However, when you’ve got 2 granddaughters, never say never.

Admission to this place was 50 Baht for Thais and 80 Baht for Farang – why? Had I been the one buying at the ticket desk, I’d have told them where to stick their Farang ticket because I was really interested in seeing their sheep anyway. How many visiting Farangs need to pay to see a creature that probably outnumbers them in their home country? The cost of admission included a few blades of grass that you could queue up to exchange your ticket for to feed the sheep. Carrots etc. to feed their animals cost extra. (end of rant).

The farm itself was spotlessly clean, and tastefully/spaciously laid out. As I mentioned earlier, there were loads of man-made photo opportunities where Thais could stick 2 fingers up, or point at. There was usually a queue to take photos.
The farm itself was spotlessly clean, and tastefully/spaciously laid out.
The farm itself was spotlessly clean, and tastefully/spaciously laid out.
DSC04185b.JPG (106.42 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Photo opportunities
Photo opportunities
DSC04190b.JPG (144.39 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Photo opportunities
Photo opportunities
DSC04192b.JPG (123.35 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Photo opportunities
Photo opportunities
DSC04215b.JPG (117.24 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
The first attraction was the sheep. These animals were kept in the only enclosure totally devoid of grass (OK, they’d probably eaten it, but isn’t the first rule of keeping any animal is being able to care properly for them?), which meant they were desperately begging for the few blades included in the admission cost. I split my blades between my granddaughters. Having said that, these animals were in lovely condition, and really soft to touch. I assume the visitor blades of grass were heavily supplemented once the visitors had left.
The sheep
The sheep
DSC04194b.JPG (139.57 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
The sheep
The sheep
DSC04196b.JPG (139.5 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
The sheep
The sheep
DSC04197b.JPG (132.67 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Next up was the horse and cart. I asked if my granddaughters wanted to have a ride, and they looked at me with trepidation initially. However, when I’d explained that there would be a driver, they lightened up, and actually enjoyed the experience, which lasted about 5 minutes for a tour of the farm. Cost was 50 Baht each.
the horse and cart
the horse and cart
DSC04191b.JPG (150.58 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
There were stables, which as well real horses, they had a couple of miniature breeds as well.
Rocky, one of the miniature horse breeds
Rocky, one of the miniature horse breeds
DSC04202b.JPG (113.74 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
The whole park seemed to have a ‘Love’ theme going on. I honestly couldn’t say if this was a sponsorship thing with Walls Ice Cream, or if there was some other reason. Whatever, the farm had more than its share of hearts.
The whole park seemed to have a ‘Love’ theme going on.
The whole park seemed to have a ‘Love’ theme going on.
DSC04201b.JPG (135.58 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
There was a small lake running through the farm, which had been well stocked with Koi Carp (fish food cost 30 Baht). There was a small bridge over the lake, which had 4 wire mesh hearts, one in each corner. Onto these hearts people had been cementing their love for each other by fixing padlocks containing their names – this got me thinking. I didn’t see padlocks on sale at the farm, so people must be paying an extra 50 or 80 Baht to cement their love in this way – bonkers!!
There was a small lake running through the farm, which had been well stocked with Koi Carp
There was a small lake running through the farm, which had been well stocked with Koi Carp
DSC04217b.JPG (113.05 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
There was a small bridge over the lake, which had 4 wire mesh hearts, one in each corner.  Onto these hearts people had been cementing their love for each other by fixing padlocks containing their names
There was a small bridge over the lake, which had 4 wire mesh hearts, one in each corner. Onto these hearts people had been cementing their love for each other by fixing padlocks containing their names
DSC04206b.JPG (120.26 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
View from the bridge
View from the bridge
DSC04211b.JPG (119.39 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
The centrepiece of the farm was a giant snowman. Apart from it being a ‘Swiss’ sheep farm, I couldn’t really see any connection with a snowman. There were also a couple bales of hay, coloured white to give the illusion of snow. Despite me not wanting to be there (did I give that impression?) this place was actually well laid out. However, a giant snowman – what was that all about?
The centrepiece of the farm was a giant snowman.
The centrepiece of the farm was a giant snowman.
DSC04222b.JPG (114.01 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Scattered around the farm were some classic cars (it makes you feel old when you can remember these vehicles as modern). Again, these were quite tastefully situated, and provided photo opportunities.
classic cars
classic cars
DSC04219b.JPG (128.66 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
classic cars
classic cars
DSC04224b.JPG (138.72 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
There was a Transformers exhibit. I was a bit confused as to the relevance, but these were a popular photo opportunity.
Transformers exhibit
Transformers exhibit
DSC04237b.JPG (113.99 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
In the centre of the farm was a restaurant/bar. We used it for drinks and ice cream and the prices were not rip-off. It was clean, and quite relaxing to just sit there after a busy day.
In the centre of the farm was a restaurant/bar.
In the centre of the farm was a restaurant/bar.
DSC04228b.JPG (125.08 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Finally, have you ever wondered where Father Christmas goes to when he’s not delivering presents? The answer to the secret is revealed. As you exit the farm you have to pass through the Souvenier Shop, which was full of cuddly toys etc. However, the centrepiece of the shop was a giant Christmas Tree and a Santa figure. Was this deliberate? Had they forgotten to take it down? Was it up early for Christmas.
Every day is Christmas Day at the Swiss Sheep Farm
Every day is Christmas Day at the Swiss Sheep Farm
DSC04253b.JPG (148.6 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
full of cuddly toys
full of cuddly toys
DSC04255b.JPG (149.49 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Conclusion: Forget my anti-plastic attraction attitude. It is actually a nice place to take the kids if you’re passing by, and it won’t break the bank. The animals are well cared for, and are very clean. As you’ve probably guessed, it wasn’t my cup of tea, but the kids loved it, and the adult Thais in the party were very impressed. If you’re in the area, it’s worth popping in for a couple of ‘laid back’ hours.

Many more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: Swiss Sheep Farm, Cha-Am

Post by Henry 14th »

Had always wondered about this place but as it is way out of town I didn't want to take the risk of disappointment.

Thanks for the heads up, may well take the little one along at some point.

Have you experienced the attraction opposite the road, it looks like a small theme park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Henry 14th wrote:Have you experienced the attraction opposite the road, it looks like a small theme park?
Yes, reports on Santorini and Camel Republic (when it opens in March :? :shock: ) will follow shortly.

Points 41; Position 18
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Whilst in this area with BB - thanks for the reports - Does anybody know what the other 'attraction' on the same side of the road as the Sheep Farm and Camel Republic is?

It seems to be constructed of old 40' shipping containers now being assembled into little groups and being painted all sorts of bright colours.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They may well be taking care of the sheep, but there is at least one young idiot there that is damn lucky he did not get my walking stick wrapped around his head.

One of the horses used for riding would not do as he demanded, mainly because of the way he was going about it. He then wacked it over the head with loose end of the reins!
These are horses that are used for taking little kids for a lead ride, but if he was to do that while a kid was on board there is a good chance the horse would bolt.

The horse that was harnessed to the cart was a complete rogue, probably as a result of mistreatment. It was laying its ears back, a sure sign of bad intentions, and as I spoke to it the damn thing reached out and tried to bite me! The horse was tied up where they load the cart, but there was nothing to stop a little kid going up to it, or worse, getting too close to its back legs. One kick from a horse like that and a little kid would likely be killed.

The other "Thai thing" that got up my nose was the 110 db loud speaker outside the Alpaca shed, repeating the same crap over and over ad nauseam! As I had to wait for my Granddaughter there was no getting away from it. :banghead:

(Big Boy: is this true, or are you really a Taffy in disgiuse? I was really interested in seeing their sheep )
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Does anybody know what the other 'attraction' on the same side of the road as the Sheep Farm and Camel Republic is?
No, but I've been watching with interest also. I'm up that way again on 1 May, I'll see if I can find out, in nobody tells us sooner.

Nereus, the day we were there, the only horse action was the horse and cart, so I can't comment on the horses' treatment. The only other horse anybody could get close to was Rocky, and he seemed docile, although I did wonder about the small pen he was held in.

Points 41; Position 18
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

We went there last August with wife's sister and kids during our annual stay at Metawalai hotel. I was slightly bemused even before we entered as I could not see the connection betweeh sheep, love hearts, the windmill and Switzerland, I mean how any and all of this themes are connected. When you throw in the VW buss, the Mini Morris and the Chrstmas three it gets even more random :?

However, my son rode on one of the small ponnies and enjoyed it, as BB says the restaurant offers a shadowy rest and overall the kids were exited about feeding the sheep.

As long as the kids enjoy I found that the overall disconnect of the theme(s) from an adult farang persective can be ignored. It is a place to take the kids in the area on a day out.

We also visited Santorini Park on the day after - towards late afternoon - so when we sat in the big Paris Wheel we got an awesome view of the lights from all properties between Cha Am and Hua Hin and beyond at dusk with the sun setting in the background. That was very enjoyable and I'll do it again.
On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a restaurant which I would recommend, it is somewhere between the road junction and the beach, I think not so far from the Hospital. It is quite large with seating both indoor and out door and there was a live band when we were there.

It actually makes for a good afternoon/evening out if you visit one or more of the attrations discussed in this thread and go to this restaurant afterwords.

I will check with wife's sister when she is with us on Tuesday and update this post with its name and or whereabouts. It may allready be well known to those allready living in HH/Cha Am
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the only connection is photo opportunities, of which there are many.

Points 41; Position 18
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Big Boy wrote:I think the only connection is photo opportunities, of which there are many.

.......as you said, photo opportunities for week-enders from Bangkok 8)
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It must be a successful business model - 2 years on, and going strong.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dual pricing discussion has been split from this topic and moved here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26554
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson