Cha-Am Forest Park

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Cha-Am Forest Park

Post by Big Boy »

As you travel towards Cha-Am from Hua Hin, this attraction is located on your left about 1 mile before the Cha-Am traffic lights.
Entrance to the park
Entrance to the park
DSC03187b.JPG (129.35 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
I consider this park to be a nice walk through the countryside.

As you enter the ample car parking within the park grounds, you see a restaurant building and coffee shop on you right. My wife had her breakfast here while I went on a wander. When I collected her from the restaurant afterwards, I was quite impressed with the facilities, which included a well-stocked bar. In one corner was a stage, which looked as though it hosted a resident band, and to the right of the stage was a large screen, ideal for watching football. Always important to me was the furniture – strong wooden seats.
The restaurant/bar
The restaurant/bar
DSC03215b.JPG (146.45 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
Inside the restaurant/bar
Inside the restaurant/bar
DSC03213b.JPG (135.12 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
As I moved from the restaurant area, and walked towards the park area, there was a kiddies play frame. Across the road from the restaurant area was the visitor centre, which didn’t appear open.
Kiddies play frame
Kiddies play frame
DSC03191b.JPG (142.27 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
Just before the nature trail there is a camping area, Nobody was camping when we visited, and judging by the toilet/shower blocks, it didn’t look to be a functional camp site at the moment.

To get onto the nature trail, you have to cross a bridge over a lake. The last time I visited this park, the lake was dry, but this time there was plenty of water. Looking over the bridge I could see plenty of mature fish, which made me wonder what happens to them when there’s no water.
The lake from the first bridge looking North
The lake from the first bridge looking North
DSC03193b.JPG (126.47 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
The lake from the first bridge looking South
The lake from the first bridge looking South
DSC03195b.JPG (126.71 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
I followed the nature trail, firstly passing the fitness park. Then another bridge, which has quite a steep ramp on either side, to pass back over the lake again.
Fitness park
Fitness park
DSC03199b.JPG (117.41 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
2nd bridge, with steep ramps either side
2nd bridge, with steep ramps either side
DSC03200b.JPG (122.37 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
At this point, the lake forms a moat around a large island, which is home to some gibbons. I’m not quite sure of the purpose of the moat. It could be to keep the gibbons on the island, or it could be to keep predators off the island. Whatever the purpose, the last time I visited, the moat was dry, with cattle grazing. The gibbons are still there, so I guess the moat is more ornamental than anything else.
The lake forms a moat
The lake forms a moat
DSC03205b.JPG (141.88 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
The lake forms a moat
The lake forms a moat
DSC03208b.JPG (137.04 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
Being on my own, the trail was very quiet and there was quite a variety of unusual birds. The most stunning today, was a green bird with a red head. I’ve no idea what it was, but it was beautiful. Of course, as soon as I lifted my camera, the bird felt threatened, and it flew off.

This is a lovely place to wander through, taking in nature. Very peaceful/restful. Very unusually, it was wheelchair friendly. From memory, I think there were ramps everywhere, although the ramps on the 2nd bridge could present a challenge.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Cha-Am Forest Park

Post by migrant »

Ate dinner there once, very enjoyable :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, not somewhere I'd have thought of going, but it looked very nice. Mrs BB said her breakfast was good (3 dishes with 3 soft drinks - 300 Baht incl. tip).

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I got married at the park in 2010 and have some very nice photos with lots of greenery in the background. I have been there a few times and it's never been busy so somewhere different to spend a few hours and finish off with something to eat/drink.
gerpies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerpies »

Thanks for the report BB. Have been meaning to check this place out. May I ask what time of the day you went? Think you mentioned your wife having breakfast so just curious when the restaurant might be open.

By the way - much appreciate all of the review / trip reports you have been doing lately. They are a great resource.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We had lunch there several times in the first two or three years we lived here and (at least back then) the Thai food was very good and inexpensive.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhfarang wrote:We had lunch there several times in the first two or three years we lived here and (at least back then) the Thai food was very good and inexpensive.
I had one of the hottest curries ever there and as you say HHFR, good and inexpensive. They also did the catering for our wedding reception, strictly local Thai style and very reasonable.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

gerpies wrote:Thanks for the report BB. Have been meaning to check this place out. May I ask what time of the day you went? Think you mentioned your wife having breakfast so just curious when the restaurant might be open.

By the way - much appreciate all of the review / trip reports you have been doing lately. They are a great resource.
We arrived at the park at about 10:30 - not a soul to be seen. My wife is Thai, so doesn't do walking. I pointed her in the direction of a deserted restaurant and went wandering. I was quite surprised when I came back - my wife was just finishing off her breakfast. She shouted out a few Thai words, and a lady appeared from nowhere with a soft drink for me also.

Points 41; Position 18
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

gerpies wrote:
I want to 2nd that - I enjoyed very much the trip report about Vietnam and Halong bay - I showed the pictures to my wife as a must - visit at some stage when living permanently in Thailand, and I appreciate getting a quick insight into this Park at Cha Am, having seen the sign I now know it's worth a visit.
Likevise the Hua Hin Markets - report is both informative and fun to read.

Quite a bit of effort goes into these reports with the support of pictures. Allthough I do not know you, I appreciate your work BigBoy.

On a side note I am impressed with the variety of places to visit and see, which people report on this board. The board is a great source for information about things to do on a day out.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You're very welcome. I enjoy every minute of it, exploring the area where I now live.

Strangely enough, a member accused me of not getting out enough a couple of weeks ago - I think I actually get out and about more than most :D

What I don't do any more is mooch around bars, which is what I think the other member was hinting at ............. but I have in the past :oops: I know which I personally prefer, but I won't criticise anybody for enjoying the bar life. Each to his own.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks Big Boy, the reports you've been doing are great. I've been past his park so many times but have never been in. Maybe I'll visit today on my bicycle, now that I know I can have a cold beer when I get there.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I should think a bicycle could be an advantage in there - easier to get about, but quiet so you don't disturb the wildlife.

The bit I didn't mention in my report was some idiot kid (I guess hiding from school) riding his moped as fast as it would go on the footpaths. Fortunately, he didn't stay long.

Points 41; Position 18
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I've seen monkeys in the park on a couple occasions.
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Nice report BB.

Another venue added for my visitors list.

So many places to see in the locality!

:cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Frank La Rue wrote:Quite a bit of effort goes into these reports with the support of pictures. Allthough I do not know you, I appreciate your work BigBoy.
:thumb: