Living In Cha-Am

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Living In Cha-Am

Post by Big Boy »

With my retirement probably only 1 year away (or maybe less), I'm starting to seriously consider options. Although I've never really considered Cha-Am as being my cup of tea as a holiday resort, it could provide what I need as a retirement option.

I know that I've joked with people on here in the past about the lack of facilities in Cha-Am, but I am starting to wonder what is really available for the expat in this town ie:

- I remember a thread a couple of years ago when the first supermarket arrived in town that sold farang food. Has this improved, or do you need to make the occasional visit to Big C and/or Tesco/Villa Market? What other options are available?

- I've read (on property sites) that there is a Cha-Am hospital. Is it of Farang standard, or does illness mean a visit to one of the larger hospitals, North or South?

- I'm not too bothered about nightlife - I'm sure there is some :D At the end of the day, Hua Hin is 20 minutes down the road, and a guest house for the night is cheap enough.

- Restaurants - I've often read about the fantastic Cha-Am sea food restaurants. Unfortunately, I'm not a great sea food lover. I'm OK eating Thai food, but occasionally I get a craving for farang food. Are there any farang food restaurants?

- Buying a home. Is there any area of Cha-Am to be avoided by a farang?

- Schools - my grand daughters will probably be joining us. I'm assuming they have decent 'Thai' schools for all ages in the area. Or would they be better commuting to Hua Hin every day?

I'd better stop there before I start asking questions such as do they have electricity and running water :oops: Hopefully you guys know what I'm asking. I'd be grateful for any advice and guidance that you can give please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: Living In Cha-Am

Post by Big Boy »

Another thought - what about the Internet? How does it compare with the service provided in Hua Hin please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy,

I don't live there so hopefully others will give you more accurate info. We do go there quite a bit just for a break from Hua Hin though and from what I've seen there (these are subjective so others may disagree):

Advantages over Hua Hin:

- less traffic/congestion on weekdays
- great cheap seafood
- probably the best wet market I've ever seen
- nicer beach front area (imho)
- real estate much cheaper to buy or rent
- 25 minutes (drive time) closer to Bangkok

Disadvantages:

- just as much (if not more) traffic/congestion on weekends because of Bangkok Thais (may be better or worse seasonally)
- not close to the variety or number of restaurant/food choices in Hua Hin
- no major supermarket or shopping center last time I looked (I think you would still have to come to Hua Hin a couple of times per month for this.
- no western level hospital facility that I know of, in fact I think the new Bangkok Hospital is the only real western style hospital south of Bangkok (to Hua Hin)

In short, if you want a town that probably is like what Hua Hin was 15 years ago, I think you would probably like Cha-Am, but I think you would need a car or truck for necessary trips to Hua Hin (I would).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

Hi there, i live half way between Hua hin and Cha am, i find myself going more to cha am these days, imho the beach is nicer, sea food cheap, and good. There is a small tesco lotus and a large market, there are electrical outlets for fan/tv etc. The hospital is a bit old and not our standard. Another 25 30 mins north you have big c kfc etc. Big C there is twice the size of tesco at market village, as a matter of fact its that big it even sells motor bikes! As stated above the traffic on week ends are fairly bad, but still not as bad as Hua hin, and through the week its very quite. There is a number of options for some farang food, on the main beach rd, or you could drive 5 minutes to the veranda resort or the springfeild resort, both really good stuff like steak roast etc. Night life you don't care about but its there if you want it :D
Hope that helps cheers
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Might also consider Pranburi. 20 km down from Hua Hin but like Hua Hin was years ago yet close enough to get into Hua Hin as needed. Larger Tesco than in Hua Hin also. When you use the bypas to go to BKK not really much farther than Hua Hin. Just a thought.
fach3003
Professional
Professional

Post by fach3003 »

Hiya all...
We planned to live in Hua Hin since are first visit in 2004...
but once we landed here in October last year
After staying there a while we decided it was too busy...
Been in Cha am now 5 months love it
has everything for us here...
Does get busy on weekends....
but we just go to the beach after the weekend
pop to Hua hin every couple weeks for a mooch...

A friend from Hua Hin once told me he couldnt live in Cha am
as it was too thai...but its just what we were after...

Hua Hin has changed too much for me...still a great place mind

Regards to all!

Fach
The only Geordie in sleepy Cha am since 2009 :cheers:
chrisdaejeon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by chrisdaejeon »

Been in Cha-Am for almost two years and agree with other comments about traffic at weekends. Yes you do need a car but as others have said Hua-Hin, Petchburi, and Pranburi are close enough for big stores. Markets here are great and cheap. We also go to Grand Pacific for some Farang food and they also have a great Chinese restaurant we try and go there for Dim Sum at the weekend, there are also plenty of cheaper places that serve reasonable Western food. I'm sure one day there will also be some fast food. We have a young son but hasn't started school yet but will probably send him to Hua-Hin as we haven't found a reasonable school in Cha-Am. We did think about moving to Hua-Hin but like it enough here not to move. Also hospital isn't very good but again not far to Bkk hospital.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for all of the advice so far - you guys are helping to convince me that Cha-Am is right for me. I've already accepted that I will need my own transport.

Please keep the great advice coming - greatly appreciated.

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I also don't live there, but when we go to Thailand we spend most our time at Cha Am, the wife has a brother there, and father in Tha Yang, 20 minutes north.

I have always tried to buy my house away from town and Cha Am fits the bill.

I prefer to live in a quiet area and drive the 20 minutes, or so, to the busy ones.

I agree with the above posters and have found good western food.

The big C north of town is good also a Makro not too far off. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I was thinking about cha am 6 years ago but it was too quite, went up the road to Hua Hin and it was just right, not too big and not too small and the traffic was nice and steady, so we bought. Now 6 years on Hua Hin is getting crazy and I sometimes think I wish we bought in Cha am. I'm out near the airport so it's relatively quite at the moment but things are gradually creeping closer :( Have some friends near dinosaur road who bought there many years ago but now are pulling their hair out with the market etc etc. Progress!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'll put in my 2 satang about wheels. After much experimentation and experience I would recommend a pick up with a back seat. It will carry everything and do everything you want (4WD if you want it), large enough inside for you to drive it comfortably, you have some decent metal wrapped around you in case of accident, you can get a new one for under a million and a good used one with low km's for about 500k or less. I think you'll find that the Toyota and Ford will have the largest driver seat/area. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:I think you'll find that the Toyota and Ford will have the largest driver seat/area. Pete :cheers:
:shock: What you trying to say :D :wink:

Seriously, that's just what I've been thinking - a decent sized pick up. Very practical as well. It's funny how your mind starts to become more focussed as the dream starts to turn into reality. Roll on next year.

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:...... It's funny how your mind starts to become more focussed as the dream starts to turn into reality. Roll on next year.
Yes, and you're going to find it's one of the most fun and exciting experiences of your life, bar the usual hiccups. Savour it! :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm up for the fun & excitement - it's the stress I'm not looking forward to. :D

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:I'll put in my 2 satang about wheels. After much experimentation and experience I would recommend a pick up with a back seat. It will carry everything and do everything you want (4WD if you want it), large enough inside for you to drive it comfortably, you have some decent metal wrapped around you in case of accident, you can get a new one for under a million and a good used one with low km's for about 500k or less. I think you'll find that the Toyota and Ford will have the largest driver seat/area. Pete :cheers:
I guess you mean what is termed here a "dual cab" or "cab 4", Pete. Yes, have to agree, a 4 door pickup with an enclosed canopy on the back is a very practical vehicle. The only thing that I do not like about them is the agricultural rear leaf spring suspension. I have an Isuzu (daughters car), along with the SUV monster, and it is a very good unit, albeit not in the same street as the Land Rover. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!