Living In Cha-Am

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Re: Living In Cha-Am

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Hello everyone and a Happy Christmas and New Year to all -

How time flies! We've been temporarily in N. California for the past year this coming Jan 13. I didn't realize just how much I miss Cha Am until recently when I decided to stay for another year....a very good friend I worked for 30 years needed my assistance so I've offered to stay on until I've reorganized and sorted out the administrative side of his business.

Re-reading this thread I see no-one has mentioned Villa Market moving to the new mall next to Palm Hills. We we're over for a visit in July-August and they were beginning to get it stocked....must be open by now and a good deal closer and easier to get to than the one in Hua Hin. Also there's the new Macro, the new hardware store across from the old Regent, now Holiday Inn.

We're sorry to see you have chosen Hua Hin Big Boy....I'm sure you would make a great neighbor, but family first.

Also good to see a note from Migrant....sorry we haven't been down south to see you but like you I'm spending too much time behind a desk. Maybe time for it later on when it warms up.

For all of you old guys who are trying to make a decision I'd put my bet on Cha Am, but please don't all come at once. With the new Energy Condo and several others moving into Cha Am it looks like our traffic will soon be a lot more busy than it has been. Don't forget condominiums for a housing option. The bride and I have been in our beach-side paradise for about five years now and I wouldn't trade it for a house if I had all the money in the world. No garden to tend, no pool to worry about, no water worries, good TV and Internet service, miles and miles of nearly empty beach at hand just outside your door, nearby hotels for friends and family if you like, great shopping as mentioned from Tha Yang down to the underpass separating HH from CA, etc. Frankly, I can't find anything wrong with it except the lack of fast food places to go after golf; but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing some in the near future. **********
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Living In Cha-Am

Post by Frank La Rue »

We have an appartment in Pin Klao which works well for logistical purpose and proximity to family. Wife is from Kanchanaburi but her sister and 3 kids moved to BKK for better schooling - true or perception I don't know but many Thais seem to think that everything is better in BKK.
I am OK with it, but want to have a place outside BKK where it is less traffic and it is possible to socialize with a few people in the vincinity.

We have spent at least a couple of days every year for the last 10 years in Methawalai hotel in Cha Am due to its proximity to the beach, general good value for money and kid friendly.
We take wifey's sister's family with three kids and others and go there for the kids to have fun, we are usually between 10 and 14 people so good for socializing and bonding.
From this I have taken a like to Cha Am, the inernet connection was never a problem, there are ample new things to explore, swizz farm (which is a funny construct for me - I have previously lived in Switzerland for 8 years and this farm has nothing to do with Switzerland but the kids enjooyed the mule riding), the Santori Park, new Venezia etc, etc.

I have obvioulsly tried the restaurants in walking distance from the hotel, western or not. I understand from this thread that the Hospital is not all you might wish for but the Cha Am are is moving up in attraction in my book, for a place in the province to unwind and get out of BKK.

Depending on one's prefferences one can live close to town or in a quiet cul-du -sac or country side
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.