Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Post by nil »

I’m guessing that if more drivers sign up then the price will come down.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Better, but still a bit silly. Y'all need to buy a scooter, for hoppin around town and a car for heavy shopping. :thumb:
God no. I'd hire one if those beach horses and trot up and down the PK road on one of those before I'd get on a scooter :laugh:
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I'm getting an offer now on Grab ... make any 3 trips and get 100baht off. So 3 trips to/from/around town for 500 baht(ish).

I'm liking this
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

laphanphon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:14 pm Better, but still a bit silly. Y'all need to buy a scooter, for hoppin around town and a car for heavy shopping. :thumb:
I won't drink/drive, so that is one instance I will use them. Additionally, I don't go anywhere on 2 wheels, so parking can be a problem with a car - another good reason for using them. Then there's one way trips (train station, bus station, airport etc), always use a cab.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A bit of an own goal by Grab yesterday. My same friend was trying to get a cab for over an hour yesterday. In the end, she had to revert to her usual 300 Baht service. On the way home, Grab were fine, and when asked about what had happened earlier, the driver basically said that it happens when everybody takes a break at the same time. :?

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Wonder how many "everybody" is?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you open the app, you can normally see the little cars driving around on the map.

Points 41; Position 18
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I tried to use the service last night around 19:00. Took 10 minutes to get a car and a further 10mins for him to cancel on us.... :banghead:
Went with the local Khao Takiab taxi mob.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There is some BIG money being quoted about these "services". More competition for the local Mafia:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Indonesia's Go-Jek riding into Thailand

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/ ... recent_box

JAKARTA: Indonesian ride-hailing app Go-Jek will expand into Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and the Philippines in the next few months, it said Thursday, stepping up competition with rival Grab for Southeast Asian customers.

Go-Jek, which currently only operates in Indonesia, said it will spend $500 million on the regional expansion.
It's potentially good news for consumers in Southeast Asia after competition between ride-hailing apps lessened with US-based Uber's agreement in March to sell its failing business in the region to Singapore-based Grab.

The company said it would invest $500 million in its first international expansion, starting with ride-hailing services in the next few months. Other offerings would follow in the future, it said.

Go-Jek said its overseas businesses will initially focus on ride hailing but eventually expand to other services such as food delivery.

It said it wants to replicate the dominance it has achieved in Indonesia, Southeast Asia's most populous nation and biggest economy. Go-Jek, a play on ojek, the Indonesian word for motorcycle taxi, has been embraced by city dwellers in Indonesia as a solution to chronically congested roads.

Both it and Grab are trying to extract more revenue from their ride-hailing customers by transforming their apps into one-stop shops for an array of services including shopping, deliveries, payments and lending.

Go-Jek said it is still working with regulators to smooth the way for its new operations. It said each of the overseas businesses will have local founders and develop their own brands "to ensure good traction in each new market''.

Grab already operates in eight countries in Southeast Asia, a region of more than 600 million people.

"Consumers are happiest when they have choice and at the moment, people in Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines don't feel they're getting enough when it comes to ride-hailing,'' said Go-Jek's founder Nadiem Makarim.

Go-Jek operates a fleet of motorcycle taxis, private cars and other services -- from massage and house cleaning to grocery shopping, ticket buying and food delivery -- all available at smartphone users' fingertips.

Go-Jek, valued around $1.8 billion in 2016 by CB Insights, recently raised funds from investors including Google, Tencent Holdings Ltd and Temasek Holdings Pte.

Southeast Asia's ride-hailing market is expected to reach $20 billion by 2025, according to research done by Google and Temasek.

Grab, aided by $4 billion raised from investors led by SoftBank Group Corp, has also pushed aggressively onto Go-Jek’s home turf. Grab already operates in seven countries and is run by Anthony Tan, Mr Makarim’s former classmate at Harvard Business School.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Used this service here in HH several times and it’s an absolute revelation.

Living out towards Palm Hills, getting a tuk tuk to come early evening is a nightmare. Typical cost to the center of town is 400-500 bht.

With Grab a driver is at my house within 10 mins and my cost this evening was 180 bht.

No haggling, drama or bad attitudes. Brilliant service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Kasikornbank invests $50m in ride-hailing firm Grab
Kasikornbank Plc on Thursday said it has invested $50 million (1.6 billion baht) in Singapore's Grab, forming a partnership that will help launch the GrabPay electronic wallet in its sixth Southeast Asian market in 2019.

The fourth-largest bank also said the tie-up will allow it to use Grab's data on merchants and drivers to formulate loan products and minimise non-performing loans.

"Our co-branded mobile wallet and strategic investment in Grab enables us to bring Grab's scale to our merchant and consumer network in Thailand," Kasikornbank president Patchara Samalapa said in a statement.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ne ... -firm-grab

Does Grab actually work in Hua Hin? I tried it but no drivers - have they all been killed by the tuktuk mafia?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

buksida wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 pm Does Grab actually work in Hua Hin? I tried it but no drivers - have they all been killed by the tuktuk mafia?
Worked fine back in May/June. I'm interested too to hear if that's still the case.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we've used it quite a few times.

Only one problem where the driver changed his mind, and kept asking us to cancel him - my phone wouldn't let me cancel. Eventually, he changed his tack and demanded double. We paid it, but in the feedback I didn't pull any punches, and told them of my disgust. They contacted me several times, issued me a full refund and promised the driver would be reprimanded. Of course, I don't know if the latter happened.

They are a revelation to the Hua Hin taxi scene.

Points 41; Position 18
teddyboom

GRAB taxi

Post by teddyboom »

It seems they are operating in hua hin since may.
Anyone used them?
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Re: GRAB taxi

Post by Ralfredo »