Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by Takiap »

laphanphon wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:35 am It's salt water, there's sharks in it. Only an idiot would believe otherwise. Some even don't mind fresh water, and Bull shark is notorious for that, and a nasty bugger. One to give a wide berth to if seeing.

Bull shark a good suspect for a taste test, unless just an oops, sorry, not food, didn't know you were human. Now have nasty taste in mouth .... 5555

Though good luck with seeing anything in that sewer. Was at Ao Manao the other day, waist high and couldn't see my feet clearly. A bit stirred up, as actually one of a few clean beaches, since at military base.

According to the little bit of research I have done, Black Tip sharks typically don't grow bigger than 1.5 meters, they rarely venture into deep water, preferring shallow brackish water, and they are typically non-aggressive towards humans. They are also hunted for their meat, their skin, and for their liver oil. They are also a popular target among anglers because they are known to put up a good fight once hooked.

Hopefully all this media attention won't lead to the demise of these local sharks.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Shark bites confirmed for Norwegian in Hua Hin

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... in-hua-hin

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: A Norwegian tourist was bitten by a shark, officials confirmed for the first time on Wednesday, as they planned more safety measures for swimmers.

Sophon Thongdee, the deputy chief of the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, and provincial governor Pallop Singhaseni said on Wednesday Werner Danielsen had been bitten by a bull shark while swimming at Sai Noi beach in Hua Hin district on Sunday.

Judging from the wound on his left leg, marine experts said the shark was about one year old and about one metre long, the governor said.

Mr Werner, 54, is still at Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital but his condition is stable, the governor added. He suffered tendon damage and received 19 stitches.

The beach has been sealed off for at least 20 days due to safety concerns for tourists, by which time the department plans to install long, floating nets to demarcate swimming zones.

The governor said a drone would be used to fly patrols over the area to alert officials about any dangers for swimmers.
The sea near Wat Tham Khao Tao where the Norwegian was attacked is a declared no-fishing zone, and is rich in fish and other marine life.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At last, the medical experts have been able to recognise teeth marks.

As I've said already, the interest is not in the fact a shark bit him - it's where they live, and sh*t happens. My real interest in this has been watching the authorities squirm, whilst trying to wriggle away from facts.

FFS Australia had 2 real attacks the other day. Nobody has tried to deny it. I haven't heard that Australia's tourist industry is in meltdown as a result. How long before we hear it was a shoal of sharks from Burma? The truth doesn't have to hurt, but if you're a serial liar ...................................... :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

At least pulling their heads out of the coral, and confirming it was a bite. Bet the doc will never lie for the authorities again.

A shark bite is a good thing, well, not for his foot. But should be a tourist attraction now. Expecting a sign and admission fee soon.......555

Considering how many people actually swim in that stuff, yuk, sharks should attract more tourist, simply for the chance of a glimpse of fins.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I went rubbernecking a couple of days ago, it was already quite an attraction at the temple with film crews and locals waiting for the daily visit by the sharks.

As for the water off the temple wall, it's probably the clearest I've seen in this area. Not as good as the South of Thailand, but for this area, it is exceptional. I've no idea why.

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, it is strange how some is crystal clear, when close by isn't quite as, or not at all. South end of main HH beach at Buddha is consistently clear, where at Centara, almost opaque....555

Morning stroll with dog is at Ao Prachaup, as sewer for the municipality, and if clear there, then I might pop over to Ao Manao for a dip. Day I mentioned stirred up at Ao Manao, it was crystal clear at Ao Prachuap just an hour or so earlier.

Though I know bacterial levels are extremely different between the two.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

“This kind of shark is so cute as kitties or puppies and is not fierce. But it doesn’t mean that if they are cute, they don’t bite. It is like kitties and puppies that also bite but they don’t mean to hurt,” said Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat, deputy dean of Kasersart University’s Faculty of Fisheries on his Facebook page yesterday.
Anybody on Farcebook seen a retraction from this clown?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am When I went rubbernecking a couple of days ago, it was already quite an attraction at the temple with film crews and locals waiting for the daily visit by the sharks.

As for the water off the temple wall, it's probably the clearest I've seen in this area. Not as good as the South of Thailand, but for this area, it is exceptional. I've no idea why.
I went for a walk up to the top of the hill there last week and you could clearly see fish swimming around in the water. Two Thai lads were messing around in the small surf with a plastic boat, I wonder if they're still doing that now!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am Two Thai lads were messing around in the small surf with a plastic boat, I wonder if they're still doing that now!
On my same rubbernecking trip, I went to Had Sai Noi. There was a life guard there, but there was no attempt to stop people going into the water, and everybody was shoulder deep - a fair way offshore. The problem is that these people, if on holiday, are probably quite oblivious of what's been going on. OK, a lifeguard is as rare as rocking horse sh*t here, but would somebody on holiday know that?

I've now seen the warning signs on social media. They simply say, "Don't swim for over 20 Metres." No indication of direction or why there is a restriction. TIT
20.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

laphanphon wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am Yes, it is strange how some is crystal clear, when close by isn't quite as, or not at all. South end of main HH beach at Buddha is consistently clear, where at Centara, almost opaque....555

Morning stroll with dog is at Ao Prachaup, as sewer for the municipality, and if clear there, then I might pop over to Ao Manao for a dip. Day I mentioned stirred up at Ao Manao, it was crystal clear at Ao Prachuap just an hour or so earlier.

Though I know bacterial levels are extremely different between the two.
It's because of currents caused by tide directions changing, wind effect and contours of the land.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Wind was about the same, guessing, but tide may have changed, maybe from ebb to out, and beach is shallower at Ao Manoa, which should actually help with vis.

Just surprised me, and don't care to swim in water I can't see my feet at chest height. Bit paranoid about jellies at times. Sharks I'd welcome to see, if not looking for a snack.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've now seen the warning signs on social media. They simply say, "Don't swim for over 20 Metres." No indication of direction or why there is a restriction. TIT
It always amazes me that with all the English speaking foreigners here, a Thai will not ask for assistance when putting up posters. Loss of face if they do!!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

All those sharks should be catch and sell at HH market
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm
It always amazes me that with all the English speaking foreigners here, a Thai will not ask for assistance when putting up posters. Loss of face if they do!!
HHTel "It always amazes me" Well it doesn't amaze me most of the posts are in English and doubt many locals read this forum it would be more prudent regarding sharks and sea life around Hua Hin for a English speaker to ask a local with local knowledge, who have far more knowledge on this subject, than any of us English speakers on this forum :)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

johnjar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pmHHTel "It always amazes me" Well it doesn't amaze me most of the posts are in English and doubt many locals read this forum it would be more prudent regarding sharks and sea life around Hua Hin for a English speaker to ask a local with local knowledge, who have far more knowledge on this subject, than any of us English speakers on this forum :)
HHTel is talking about the signs that have been put up using poor English to warn tourists about swimming safely. I'm not actually sure what you're talking about?
Talk is cheap