Embassy frets over plight of UK inmates in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Embassy frets over plight of UK inmates in Thailand

Post by buksida »

The British embassy in Thailand is worried over the treatment of British inmates in Thai prisons, urging authorities to adopt adequate measures to protect detainees against human rights violations.

Corrections Department chief Naras Savestanan said yesterday the embassy wants his department to "be aware of inmates' rights, prevent suicides and escapes as well as ensure their quality of life". He did not go into detail about the embassy's concerns.

British authorities also want the department to ensure equal treatment of detainees from all nations.

According to the department, Britons are among 15,076 foreign inmates currently held in Thai prisons. Most of them, mainly from Southeast Asian countries, were jailed on drug charges.

Though Pol Col Naras admitted that last year prisons were overcrowded and short of staff, he insisted authorities had complied with international guidelines requiring good prison management, governing matters such as admission and search procedures and healthcare for inmates.

These standards are laid down in the UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners, known as the Mandela Rules, and the Bangkok Rules, a set of UN rules giving special care for female prisoners.

The British embassy introduced the department to another set of guidelines, named Standard Operating Procedures, or SOPs. Pol Col Naras believes SOPs can help reduce "disparity" in prisons in terms of how they ensure human rights standards.

Full story: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... uk-inmates
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Embassy frets over plight of UK inmates in Thailand

Post by oakdale160 »

My guess is that the protest will be filed in the--laugh and throw away file.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Why don't the embassies simply tell all travelers "break the law in another country and you're S.O.L."
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

S O.L. ????
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am S O.L. ????
Sh-t Out of Luck. :D
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"Fretting"? Excuse me Sir, I hope it doesn't inconvenience you but we are fretting. I believe that Boots has some anti-fretting drops that will leave you fretless. Fretless in Thailand starring Dwayne The Rock Head and his Johnson. Oh yes, and please don't let the Brits escape.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

How about telling UK nationals that they shouldn't break laws in foreign countries and expect some sort of special treatment as they [foreign countries] are much more unforgiving than the luvvies that run the UK justice system? You are not special and if you do the crime then be prepared to do the time. I think Boris has more to worry about than this...but, of course he has to pay lip-service to a certain section of society.

Edit - Typos
Resolve dissolves in alcohol