One tourist killed, 11 injured in speed boat explosion

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

One tourist killed, 11 injured in speed boat explosion

Post by buksida »

One tourist was killed and 11 other tourists of both Thai and Chinese nationalities were injured, four of them in serious condition, when a speed boat in which they were travelling caught fire after the explosion of its engine in the Andaman Sea near Phi-Phi Islands, Krabi province Sunday afternoon.

The speed boat, named King Poseidon 959, was on its way to Phi-Phi Islands with five Thai passengers and 26 Chinese passengers, including three children when its engine exploded reportedly after fuel was leaked from the fuel tank to the engine as the boat was nearing Viking Cave in the sea.

The fire quickly spread, prompting all the passengers to scramble for swimming vests and then jumping into the sea.

Other tourist boats which were cruising nearby then rushed to their rescue and managed to pluck all of them on board to Phi-Phi hospital for first aid. All passengers who were seriously injured were later sent by speed boat to hospitals in Phuket and Krabi provinces for medical treatment.

One of the seriously injured passenger was later pronounced dead from burns.

The identities of the dead victim and the seriously injured were not known.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-to ... boat-fire/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: One tourist killed, 11 injured in speed boat explosion

Post by oakdale160 »

There seems to be a sentence missing from this report-- The driver of the boat fled from the scene.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I wonder what if any safety checks are ever performed on these boats
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

What a bad way to go - burning.
It's about time these twat operators were brought to book.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

No-one said it so far so I will.

Condolences for the needless deaths, and hoping that the remaining tourists recover.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 pm What a bad way to go - burning.
It's about time these twat operators were brought to book.
A terrible way to go, but also a stupid way to travel to Phi Phi in my opinion. There are proper ferries, so why choose a speed boat? There's a fair bit of open sea to cross - I wouldn't trust one of those things.

I guess the only thing in their favour is that it's a busy route, and there would have been many other craft around to help.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

We are all appalled but NOT surprised--The level of maritime policing is exactly at the same level as that on land.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Must have been a big speed boat if it was certified to carry 31 people on it safely. Surprised the overloaded thing hasn't been brought up a long with greed over safety.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
buksida

Post by buksida »

Another one - maybe the boat drivers are trying to compete with the bus drivers ...

8 tourists injured in boat collision in sea off Phuket
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/8-tour ... ff-phuket/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

From all those comments, seems that accidents never happens in your countries.....555
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm From all those comments, seems that accidents never happens in your countries.....555
Another of your foolishly provocative comments - I’m sure that every national reading this thread accepts that in their home country, accidents like this do happen, it’s just at a much lower frequency as a result of generally better training/education, enforcement of safety procedures and effective penalties for those that do infringe the rules.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:58 pm
europtimiste wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm From all those comments, seems that accidents never happens in your countries.....555
Another of your foolishly provocative comments - I’m sure that every national reading this thread accepts that in their home country, accidents like this do happen, it’s just at a much lower frequency as a result of generally better training/education, enforcement of safety procedures and effective penalties for those that do infringe the rules.
Yes, provocative comment, why not ? I don't like your hodgepodge with car or bike accidents. I have been several times on various islands as Koh Raja (Phuket), island offshore Chumphon or Koh Chang by speedboats and never saw any accident. In this case, can be a technical problem, but maybe the investigators of this forum knows already what happened.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Of course it was a technical problem, the boat caught fire!! As for your argument that you've never seen a speedboat accident - are you seriously suggesting that because you haven't seen one, there can't have been many? Words fail me...
This is the way
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 pm Of course it was a technical problem, the boat caught fire!! As for your argument that you've never seen a speedboat accident - are you seriously suggesting that because you haven't seen one, there can't have been many? Words fail me...
Collisions yes, many but explosions are rare.