Tourists blamed for trashing Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Tourists blamed for trashing Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

Tourists left behind more garbage at New Year holiday destinations this year, report tourism operators. Garbage behind in major tourist destinations as the tourists returned home after New Year long holidays.

Popular seaside retreats at Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan and Khao Lak in Phang Nga have reported that the amount of garbage left behind by visitors has increased sharply during this year’s festive holidays, causing environmental problems.

Hua Hin Municipality reported a 40 tonnes per day increase in the volume of garbage during the holiday period compared to the normal collection. Garbage reached a whopping 200 tonnes per day, up from the average 160 tonnes.

The permanent secretary of Hua Hin Municipality, Jirawat Phrammanee, said the local authorities were trying hard to keep the resort town clean, as Hua Hin is a main attraction for both domestic and international tourists.

Jirawat said the local authorities hired a private company to collect the garbage around the city three times per day, every day, to keep the city clean. Collected waste was buried at the landfill in nearby Pranburi District. He said that the amount of garbage in Hua Hin was increasing every year, reflecting the increasing municipal population and the growth of tourism and business.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... d/30335393
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Tourists blamed for trashing Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

Am I misreading it? The garbage was deposited in proper collection areas. It was collected, and taken to a landfill site.

Would they prefer tourists dump it on the sides of roads like Thais?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think it was domestic tourists the article was referring to - though it didn't mention that.

But yes, I can't see a problem with people putting their trash in a bin instead of on the beach.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I think they were trying to tout a successful NY holiday, but the intent got lost in translation from Thai to English.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think we should assume domestic tourists unless explicitly stated as foreign tourists. This article mentions both, but I think that everybody realises that the vast majority of tourists in HH during national holidays and weekends are Thais.