Thai Deputy PM's bling attracts unwanted attention

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Thai Deputy PM's bling attracts unwanted attention

Post by buksida »

24312563_1572620166149036_7911465772643451646_n.jpg
24312563_1572620166149036_7911465772643451646_n.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 806 times

THAILAND’s Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has found himself the centre of public attention after flashing a luxurious watch and an extravagant diamond ring during a group photo session in front of the Thailand’s parliamentary buildings.

During the photoshoot, Prawit, who is also defence minister, raised his hand to shade his eyes from the sun, revealing a luxurious watch – believed to be a Richard Mille timepiece – and a large diamond ring, believed to be five karats and worth around THB4 million.

The pictures quickly went viral, with netizens on Facebook, Twitter and various online forums questioning how a lifelong military officer could afford such luxuries.

Commentators have been unable to agree which model Richard Mille watch Prawit was wearing, but it’s believed the timepiece would cost somewhere between THB4 million to THB10 million.

Source: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/12/ ... Wxv15Q3.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Thai Deputy PM's bling attracts unwanted attention

Post by Stargeezer »

Nice to be rich and in politics hey!
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, it was good of these lot to step in to save us from all those corrupt politicians!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

He was able to afford those trinkets BECAUSE he was a life-long military officer.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

In today's Bangkok Post he's been reported wearing another expensive watch - a Rolex this time. I just love the story that his good mate (who has since died) lent them to him, and he 'forgot' to give them back... If I were the family of the good mate, I'd be demanding their return.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Too hi-so to say its a replica. Genuine Richard Mille Nadal. I guess he has no worries about being robbed.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Rolex is not in the same league as Richard Mille, the high-end if which can be half a million US dollars.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

But it was a Daytona, which are very sought after and more expensive than the usual Rolex sports watch suspects. I have never really gone for the Richard Mille look but their pedigree can't be doubted. I wish I had a friend who'd lend me such watches!

I assume whoever are looking into his undeclared jewellery and watches will enquire about his alleged deceased friend whilst they're at it?
Talk is cheap
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Vital Spark wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm In today's Bangkok Post he's been reported wearing another expensive watch - a Rolex this time. I just love the story that his good mate (who has since died) lent them to him, and he 'forgot' to give them back... If I were the family of the good mate, I'd be demanding their return.

VS
One would imagine that the watch his good mate lent him being of such value would have visible and not so visible identifying features as well as a serial number which would make it traceable to an original purchaser. Be interesting to see if that is followed up to establish its provenance.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-