Smoking ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches, jail time for offenders

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Smoking ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches, jail time for offenders

Post by crazy88 »

"But cigarette butts, that's sh*tty people from all over the world leaving their tiny 'awww, no-one will notice/care' garbage everywhere.

Don't fine them, don't jail them - hang them!"

Hang them? What about some boiling lead in the veins before drawing and quartering :twisted: Death penalty a bit strong IMHO

Personally I do do not recall going to a restaurant or bar that does not have ashtrays and bins so no excuse for dumping anything on the beach or, in fact, anywhere where it should not be.

Crazy 88
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cha-am beach still littered with cigarette butts after smoking ban is imposed
Cigarette butts are still littering the beach at Cha-am but lesser than previously, officials of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources said.

The survey of Cha-am beach was conducted during October 16-17 after a pilot project of smoking ban was first introduced here before the planned inposition of smoking ban on 20 beaches next month.

From the two-day inspection of the Cha-am beach in Phetburi province, cigarette butts could still be found on the beach, but dropped by 0.62 butt in a square metre of space.

Under the smoking ban to be imposed on 20 beaches in November, smokers are asked to discard of their cigarettes on bins before going out to the beach to swim.

The smoking ban on the beaches is introduced after recent survey showed cigarette packages and filters constitute the most garbage on the beaches.

In Thailand, more than 100 million discarded cigarette butts are littered daily on the roads. The cigarette butts block drain pipes. In water, they release toxic chemical substances such as cadmium, lead, arsenic and others which are poisonous to the food chain.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cha-be ... n-imposed/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:40 pm I saw a pic yesterday on another forum so can't provide a link. However it was a photo of a newly erected sign stating in English and Thai "Do not drink or distribute alcohol". The pic is claimed to have been taken on the beach in Hua Hin under a heading stating that Hua Hin police getting tough.
Anyone know of this?
As the thread is about smoking, might be useful start a new thread where people will see the new topic and contribute? Just MTB. :)
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

This silly law will only be enforced against foreigners/tourists...bet they wouldn't dare pull a Thai in for it for a whole load of reasons.

Funny how that angry young Thai guy got away with a wai and 500 baht fine for jumping up and down on a car's roof in the middle of the highway whilst having a hissy-fit, but foreigners could potentially end up being fined up to 100k baht and jail for throwing a cigarette butt away on a beach. C'mon Thailand...give me a break.

What's next ffs?
Last edited by Spitfire on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

As an aside, if I ever do something wrong here, it'll be interesting to see how far a wai and 500 baht get me :laugh:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Spitfire wrote:This silly law will only be enforced against foreigners/tourists...bet they wouldn't dare pull a Thai in for it for a whole load of reasons.

Funny how that angry young Thai guy got away with a wai and 500 baht fine for jumping up and down on a car's roof in the middle of the highway whilst having a hissy-fit, but foreigners could potentially end up being fined up to 100k baht and jail for throwing a cigarette but away on a beach. C'mon Thailand...give me a break.

What's next ffs?
If you link this to Buksi’s post above, 95+% of the people at Cha Am beach are Thai, so agreed, there is no way they will try and enforce this there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They really need to look at what the currents are bringing down the coast from the Chao Praya, as well as the brand mark on the filters. I have a sneaky feeling many will be Zhonghua, Zhongnanhai or Lesser Panda, assuming that is that Cha Am beaches are popular with Chinese tourists.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm They really need to look at what the currents are bringing down the coast from the Chao Praya, as well as the brand mark on the filters. I have a sneaky feeling many will be Zhonghua, Zhongnanhai or Lesser Panda, assuming that is that Cha Am beaches are popular with Chinese tourists.
I saw someone else say something about tides/currents. but surely we're talking about the horrible number of butts in the dry sand well above the high tide line, not washing about on the shoreline? You only have to sit in one spot and run your hand through the sand to find them on any reasonably busy stretch of beach. Not even HH/Khao Takiap, go to Khao Tao or Khao Kalok and do it. They are clean and dry and nothing to do with the tide. Usually Thais and Europeans at Khao Tao, and Thais at Khao Kalok AFAIK.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thailand’s Department of Marine and Coastal Resources, part of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, has signed an MOU with other public and private sector members to solve the problem of cigarette butts littering the country’s beaches.

The country’s minister of Natural Resources and Environment, Surasak Kanjanarat, together with representatives from the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Tourism and Sport, came to witness of the signing of the agreement.

Surasak said that waste has become one of the biggest problems in Thailand. Therefore, every sector must pay attention to solving this problem together, by being conscious of the environment at all times.

Full story: National News Bureau of Thailand
Designated smoking box
Designated smoking box
Thoughts: If going in there at 40C+ doesn't put people off smoking, nothing will.

As an aside, I walked past the designated smoking area on the 2nd floor of Market Village earlier. A bin is provided for cigarette butts. There were more on the floor around the bin than in the bin. It just helps to prove the problem.

Reminds of the notices in pubs years ago. When the floor is covered in cigarette butts, please use the ashtrays provided :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

So you're just supposed to put the fags out on the floor as before? I don't see any receptacle for dog ends in that box. :D :D
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm As an aside, I walked past the designated smoking area on the 2nd floor of Market Village earlier. A bin is provided for cigarette butts. There were more on the floor around the bin than in the bin. It just helps to prove the problem.
Went for a smoke at Bluport groundfloor, side entrance at the foodcourt, next to the BurgerKing. It was 10,30am. The designated smoking area was spotless as the mall was just open. About 5 people came and went around me, I stayed for 2 cigs as I was whatapping with family, got up to walk away and there were at least 5 cig butts on the ground, 2 drink cartons on the bench, 1 on the ground and food wrappers, drinking straws and small plastic bags on the ground too. I could not believe the mess 6 smokers could make in the space of 10 minutes. It does my head in no end, because this littering done by smokers is what's going to get it restricted more and more.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree that the plastic boxes are ridiculous. A small fan in the centre of the roof blowing out concentrated, unfiltered smoke to a very local area. No ashtray bins. The guy that thought this up is an idiot but then again he/she is no different to others.
Another point in the article. It's been bandied around that the ban comes into force today 1st November. The article states that an MOU was signed today and the new regulations come into force Feb 1st 1980!! Which is right? Another example of one hand not talking to the other.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel - 1980?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ooops! 2018

God knows where 1980 came from.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am Ooops! 2018

God knows where 1980 came from.
Maybe it’s not a Smoking Box but a Tardis!
:rasta:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde