Smoking ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches, jail time for offenders

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Smoking ban on Hua Hin and Thai beaches, jail time for offenders

Post by Vital Spark »

I think it's fabulous! Smokers now have their own little party area where they can sit in the shade, bring along their own beer and food, and not have to rent parasols or pay ridiculous prices for food on the beach.

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Very good idea, a smoker area. The losers will be non smoker areas.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

europtimiste wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm Very good idea, a smoker area. The losers will be non smoker areas.
I smoked for 26 years and quit 2 years ago. I do not mind smokers at all, but one thing I do NOT feel like is a loser. As a matter of fact I feel the complete opposite that I managed to win the fight against nicotine addiction and all of the other bad effects it has on my body :mrgreen: :wink: :cheers:
YNWA
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well said. I'm a smoker but I wish I wasn't.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm
europtimiste wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm Very good idea, a smoker area. The losers will be non smoker areas.
I smoked for 26 years and quit 2 years ago. I do not mind smokers at all, but one thing I do NOT feel like is a loser. As a matter of fact I feel the complete opposite that I managed to win the fight against nicotine addiction and all of the other bad effects it has on my body :mrgreen: :wink: :cheers:
By loser I mean non smoker areas owners. In Bangkok I use to have a drink in an open area space. One part is for smokers and one for non smokers. Believe me the smoker area is always full and you always will find a free table at the non smokers area.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Smoking is the only thing I have not been able to kick.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

RCer wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am Smoking is the only thing I have not been able to kick.
Do not kick a pleasure.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am
RCer wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 am Smoking is the only thing I have not been able to kick.
Do not kick a pleasure.
It hasn't been a pleasure for years.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 am By loser I mean non smoker areas owners. In Bangkok I use to have a drink in an open area space. One part is for smokers and one for non smokers. Believe me the smoker area is always full and you always will find a free table at the non smokers area.
we have a lunch room place in our city centre (Holland), has seating for 60 inside and a heated polythene-covered patio outside that seats 50. Every Saturday morning in the winter months there is no more than a handful of people inside, yet often you can't get a table in the outdoors section. Not bad considering temps will rarely be in double figures. There simply still is a lot of demand for smoking areas in food & drink establishments.

I still hate the idea of these beach smoking bans in Thailand as I won't be able to smoke as I wander. But... I know the high %age of inconsiderate anti-social smokers who litter with their cigarette ends are who I have to thank for yet another no-go area for smokers.
jele8700
Novice
Novice

Post by jele8700 »

About smoking on the beaches - I have read the list - and here I do not find Suan Son south of Hua Hin, also I do not find Ao Manao - both beaches are on military land, so my question are - can I still smoke on the 2 beaches?
I always bring a emty tin for my buts - and never leave any paper etc. on the beach.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The named beaches are only during the initial 'campaign'. From February 1st ALL beaches come under the law. Or so it was stated!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tourists not happy with beach smoking ban in Pattaya

Designated smoking zones at Dongtan beach are unpopular with tourists, who are said to be largely ignoring them and unhappy with the ban on lighting up.

Pattaya municipality chose Dongtan beach, near Jomtien, for a pilot of the smoking ban on 24 beaches in 15 provinces announced by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources. The ban was enforced on Dec 4.

Two public toilets off the beach behind the deck chair area were designated as smoking zones instead.

But foreign tourists have refused to use them, and the ban on having a puff while seated on their rented chairs has smoke pouring figuratively out of their ears, according one of the concessionaires.

Chatchawal Simmasuk said he and the other chair kiosks at Dongtan cooperated fully with authorities when the ban was enforced. Two toilets at the back of the beach, which according to websites is Thailand's most popular gay beach, were marked as smoking areas.

Whenever they saw a tourist smoking while in one of their chairs they went over to them, said it was prohibited on the beach and asked that they instead use the designated areas. Many tourists became upset on being told what they must do, Mr Chatchawal said.

Some even said they would never return to Dongtan beach if they were not allowed to smoke while using the chairs they paid for.

Those who were unhappy with the ban were mostly foreigners, because they were accustomed to being able to smoke freely, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... in-pattaya
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I just received an updated Thailand travel advice via email from the Gov.UK website:

Thai authorities have introduced a smoking ban in November 2017 on beaches in certain tourist areas, including in Koh Samui, Pattaya and in Phuket, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chon Buri and Songkhla provinces. Those caught smoking in non-designated areas could face a 100,000 baht fine or up to a year in prison. You should follow local guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tourists dodge Thailand beach smoking ban
LAST week, Thailand began enforcing its smoking ban at some of its most popular beaches but it seems that not many tourists are happy with the new ruling.

In a move to preserve its pristine environment, the Department of Marine and Coastal resources began prohibiting tourists from lighting up in Dongtan beach, Pattaya, as the first beach among 24 beaches in 15 provinces.

However, the pilot project did not go off to a good start as many visitors have ignored the ban.

According to the Bangkok Post, two public toilets off the beach behind the deck chair area were designated as smoking zones but foreign tourists have refused to use them.

Some locals say the tourists insist on puffing away while seated on their rented chairs. A rented chair operator Chatchawal Simmasuk said he was among the chair kiosk operators who abided by the ruling.

The two toilets situated behind the beach, which is known as Thailand’s most popular gay beach, were allocated smoking areas.

Chatchawal said operators and locals would talk to tourists whenever they started smoking at the prohibited zones to ask them to go to the designated areas instead.

He noted that many tourists appeared upset when they were told to do so as they had paid to use the chairs.

The ban, he said, was mostly unpopular among tourists who used to be able to smoke freely.

Earlier, the Marine and Coastal Resources department said discarded cigarette butts make up about one-third of the rubbish collected on one single beach.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/12/ ... Wshouhx.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Chatchawal said operators and locals would talk to tourists whenever they started smoking at the prohibited zones to ask them to go to the designated areas instead.

He noted that many tourists appeared upset when they were told to do so as they had paid to use the chairs.

The ban, he said, was mostly unpopular among tourists who used to be able to smoke freely.

Earlier, the Marine and Coastal Resources department said discarded cigarette butts make up about one-third of the rubbish collected on one single beach.

There's a very simple solution. The deck chair operators could invest a tiny amount of the vast amounts of money they make in some 10 baht ashtrays for their customers. Make it their responsibility to ensure the cigarette butts are not buried in the sand, and have happy customers.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"