Thai ex-PM fails to show for verdict

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Thai ex-PM fails to show for verdict

Post by Spitfire »

Doesn't matter who's in charge, the farmers have to be appeased one way or another. Those currently in charge will find that they will have to as well on a large scale, just that the generals were smart/cynical enough to give themselves immunity in the future for anything.

The farmers have to be bailed out each year regardless, however which way you shake it..or they just grab their pitchforks and start waving them around.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I would not agree they get bailed out, every year my Thai family go heavily into debt buying with government loans to buy fertilizer and seed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

What is the difference between the huge subsidies given to agriculture in Europe and what Yingluk was doing. Yeh she went the wrong way of going about it and was not thought out properly. If India and Vietnam hadn't flooded the market causing a slump in prices, then it might have worked out.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I would not agree they get bailed out, every year my Thai family go heavily into debt buying with government loans to buy fertilizer and seed.
You mean being loaned baht by the government at tiny interest rates so they can grow inefficiently and carry on with their lives as normal so that in the end, all done, they can barely afford to pay back, plus live, and it [repayment] is a notion that has become almost optional now because everyone knows they won't be harassed or brought to book much if [collectively] they present a sob story like they always do. Everyone knows if they don't pay back it's OK for years as the prices for everything don't add up really....not just rice but rubber farmers et al too.

They keep lending to people who are not capable of repaying or are unsuitable borrowers and there is nothing they can do to solve this situation, just kick it down the road for someone else to deal with.

I'd call that subsidy and can tag a lot worse on to it too [like control], just dressed up in a different set of clothes...or semantics. They have no choice, they have to pump billions into the rural farmers needs every year or you would have chaos.

Edit - Typos
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Spitfire - I agree with most of what you state. Many Thai small farmers make no attempt to deviate from the norm, growing rice like papa did. When the crop fails they just accept it and then lay around for months until the time comes to start again. Always crying they have no money. I offered to buy some machinery for my Thai family, a rice planting machine for one, they could all use it, no chance we must plant like papa did.
When the land is dry it is just about a desert with powder soft soil with no nutrient left at all after maybe 100 years of growing the same crops.

They do build up a government debt however what happens if they can never pay it back I have been unable to find out.

So yes it is a subsidy.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

:offtopic:
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Those of you with Thai wives/partners, what is the feeling of regular Thai people concerning Yingluck?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote:Those of you with Thai wives/partners, what is the feeling of regular Thai people concerning Yingluck?
Pretty obvious - if they're a "red supporter" then they're full of admiration for her - if they're a "yellow supporter" they're full of hate!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My wife doesn't hate her, she's just glad that she's gone.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I guess the yellows are glad she has gone--saying good riddance, the yellows are glad she has gone--don't want to see her in jail. The military is glad she has gone--- always an embarrassment in or out of jail. There should have had a parade to the airport.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

sorry typo-- the reds don't want to see her in jail.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

How much further off topic could this thread get than discussing farmers' subsidies versus agricultural reform at length? It seems no worse than the EU's Common Agricultural Policy to me.

As far as I am aware she has not been accused of anything other than failing to properly oversee what her ministers were up to. But obviously she sees the rice blowing in the wind and if she is found guilty she can see other charges likely being manufactured down the line (whether based on fact or not I have no idea). So she skipped. Is there more to say?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:12 pm Such a poor Thai, only US$17.36m of assets in her name as of 2015 and was only in politics for 2 months before becoming PM.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41046993
I think you will find that the current PM has similar assets, in fact many of his generals are very wealthy. Nice going for public servants.
Talk is cheap
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Where isn't that the case?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Threads often meander, but I don't see any green mod guys saying anything...just the self-appointed types.

:roll: