Thai ex-PM fails to show for verdict

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Thai ex-PM fails to show for verdict

Post by Bluesky »

She would not be in the UK unless she was absolutely confident that she could avoid extradition. No doubt advice would have been sought from the best in the legal profession who would have opined on the matter and put into play a course of action long before any travel decision was made.
Whatever the final outcome it will most likely be a drawn out process.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 pmAccording to HHtel and caller, Interpol will have no luck with UK authorities. Or if arrested WTF wil happen then? Let's see. :)
I think we were talking about if she claimed asylum as earlier reports suggested. Even so, they wont just send her back if she is arrested, as the UK would still want to ensure her safety et al. And there would be an appeal process and so on.

Besides, its very kind of the Thai authorities to let her know her whereabouts are now formally known, thus giving her an opportunity to move on somewhere else. I wonder why they would do that.

Quite amazing how quick the Thais have moved on this case considering how long they spent dragging their heels on the Red Bull trash family.
Talk is cheap
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 pm
According to HHtel and caller, Interpol will have no luck with UK authorities. Or if arrested WTF wil happen then? Let's see. :)

Whilst Thailand may seek a Red Notice to be issued by INTERPOL it does not necessarily mean it will be approved. If it did come about the validity will most likely be challenged as deemed to be a violation article 3 of the ICPO-INTERPOL constitution.

I would imagine the thrust of legal argument put forward will probably centre around the overthrow of a democratically elected government as a result of a coup d' 'etat and the seizure of power by a military junta resulting in a politically motivated conviction. If the process for the granting of Political Asylum is already underway it may well freeze any arrest/apprehension in the UK. however should Yingluck choose to leave the UK she would be "open season" in other member countries until the revocation/withdrawal of the Red Notice.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://www.interpol.int/About-INTERPOL ... nstitution
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think that article 3 negates any co-operation from Interpol:
It is strictly forbidden for the Organization to
undertake any intervention or activities of a
political, military, religious or racial character.
And at the end of the day, Interpol 'shares' information and assists when requested. It doesn't really have any teeth so to equate it with 'An International Arrest Warrant' is wrong.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Third arrest warrant for Yingluck

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politi ... r-yingluck

Online news:
A third arrest warrant has been issued for former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, this time for sneaking out of the country, police said on Thursday.

The Southern Bangkok Criminal Court issued the warrant on Wednesday for her failure to use an official border checkpoint to travel out of the country, Pol Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said.

Details of the warrant would be sent to police units nationwide, including all immigration checkpoints, he said.

It is the third arrest warrant for Yingluck. The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions issued the first on Aug 25, when she breached bail and failed to show up to hear the judgement in her rice scheme trial. The second bench warrant was issued on Sept 27, when it read the ruling in her absence.

Anusorn Iamsa-ard, acting spokesman for her Pheu Thai Party, on Thursday denied reports that Yingluck could be granted political asylum in Britain and would form a government in exile, standing against the present government.

The reports were groundless and all Pheu Thai members wanted to support national order and reconciliation, he said.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon repeated on Thursday he did not have a secret meeting with Yingluck in the UK during his Sept 12-15 trip to meet the British defence minister and a deputy foreign minister. Authorities said earlier that Yingluck had left Dubai for Britain on Sept 11.

Foreign ministry spokeswoman Busadee Santipitaks confirmed on Thursday the ministry was still considering the police request for the revocation of Yingluck's passports. It would report progress on the issue later.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions convicted and sentenced Yingluck to five years in prison for failure to stop fake and corrupt government-to-government sales of rice under her government's  rice support programme, even though she had been made aware of the irregularities.

She is believed to have left the country on Aug 23, surreptitiously crossing the border at night into Cambodia from Sa Kaeo province. The police investigation into those who helped her flee is continuing.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I wonder if she is in the UK? I would have thought the UK media would have been all over this, if she was. It took them a nano-second to track down the Red Bull kid that murdered a police officer.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm I wonder if she is in the UK? I would have thought the UK media would have been all over this, if she was. It took them a nano-second to track down the Red Bull kid that murdered a police officer.
This could be considered a diplomatic matter. Despite what others may say the UK government are more circumspect when dealing with these, possibly not all information will be released immediately (or even ever :D ).

But yes if the media get hold of it they will publish unless there's a blanket ban, which I guess is very unlikely in this case.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 amThis could be considered a diplomatic matter. Despite what others may say the UK government are more circumspect when dealing with these, possibly not all information will be released immediately (or even ever :D ).

But yes if the media get hold of it they will publish unless there's a blanket ban, which I guess is very unlikely in this case.
Diplomatic or not, it won't stop the press reporting if they sniff a story. Are you implying the UK Government are colluding with Yingluck? I can't imagine why? For what purpose? I would imagine that they would want to remain neutral, given the circumstances.
Talk is cheap
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Undoubtedly she has been schooled at staying "well under the radar." Perhaps from lessons learned she may have already managed to, or be in the process of, obtaining a number of citizenships, multiple travel documents and possibly even a Diplomatic Passport which would afford her protection as an Internationally Protected Person (IPP). If the government decide to restrict her movements and put her Thai passport through the shredder it would just be an inconvenience. Wherever she is holed up she will probably surface when she has some degree of clarity and certainty of beating any possible rendition. It will be interesting to how "keen" the Government is get her back. Certainly there would have been a plan "B" well before the trial outcome was known.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 am
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 amThis could be considered a diplomatic matter. Despite what others may say the UK government are more circumspect when dealing with these, possibly not all information will be released immediately (or even ever :D ).

Diplomatic or not, it won't stop the press reporting if they sniff a story. Are you implying the UK Government are colluding with Yingluck? I can't imagine why? For what purpose? I would imagine that they would want to remain neutral, given the circumstances.
I was thinking more if it's a diplomatic issue with the Thai
Government asking for assistance to get her back. As I said, the UK government do play both sides of a game.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

caller wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm I wonder if she is in the UK? I would have thought the UK media would have been all over this, if she was. It took them a nano-second to track down the Red Bull kid that murdered a police officer.
I was in the UK when her big brother fled over here. Nobody in the media cared; why would they? Thai politics is of very little interest to the majority of the UK media readership. Son of a well known multi-national company killing a police officer... that's a sexy story, of course the news are going to be all over it. Ex prime-minister that nobody's heard of, from a country most people only know about as a decent place to go for a beach holiday... not gonna shift papers.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:44 pmI was in the UK when her big brother fled over here. Nobody in the media cared; why would they?
So was I. I'd suggest you do a google search to find out which UK papers didn't cover it and pretty much every UK paper or media outlet covered Yingluck fleeing as well.
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

caller wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm
Pleng wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:44 pmI was in the UK when her big brother fled over here. Nobody in the media cared; why would they?
So was I. I'd suggest you do a google search to find out which UK papers didn't cover it and pretty much every UK paper or media outlet covered Yingluck fleeing as well.
There's a big difference between covering a story and "being all over it".
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:01 pm There's a big difference between covering a story and "being all over it".
Really? Nowt but semantics.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Reminds me--a celebrity who wished peace and quiet was checking in at Claridge's hotel in London. He said to the manager--by the way, as for me staying here "hush" is the word--the manager replied--Sir, at "Claridges "Hush" is always the word.