Escaping the clutches of sex trafficking in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Escaping the clutches of sex trafficking in Thailand

Post by hhfarang »

"An Uzbek woman who was trafficked to Thailand and forced to sell sex shares the story of her escape.

Sex trafficking victim in Thailand: 'She caught me. I didn't know what to do. She took my passport and I had to go back to work.' [Paula Bronstein/Getty Images]

It's nearly 10pm and Umida* is cooking dinner - a simple meal of rice and meat for the 11 members of her household who have been stuck inside the house all day due to Uzbekistan's intense summer heat.

Since emerging as an independent nation in 1991, after nearly 200 years of Russian and then Soviet rule, Uzbekistan has slowly seen some economic progress. But poverty and unemployment remain high and many Uzbeks travel abroad for work. This leaves the men, women and children vulnerable to forced labour and sex trafficking.

"My older sister works in a hospital in Moscow, so I look after her children," Umida says. "She's the only one who understands what happened to me in Bangkok, I have told nobody else."

Born into a large, impoverished family, the 36-year-old says life was difficult growing up. Her mother died in 2000, leaving her father, a builder, to care for his four children. "It was hard without my mother," she recalls, "the families in my town with two parents had more money."

When she was 28 years old, Umida says she met a local Uzbek woman who promised her profitable work in Thailand. Umida doesn't say whether she knew the specific nature of this work, but explains that with the hope of providing for her son who was then six years old, she agreed to travel to the Thai capital, Bangkok.

But, when she arrived in Thailand, she realised that she had been deceived. The woman who had made the arrangements destroyed all of her documents. "She was a very bad lady. She gave me no food, no money. I could only go outside to work every day," Umida says quietly. The woman forced her to work as a prostitute on the streets of Bangkok.
Trafficked for sex

Many downtown Bangkok streets are lined with women, shifting from one foot to the other, whispering to passers-by, hoping to attract their next customer. Statistics from the Thai Ministry of Public Health and from NGOs indicate that there are more than 120,000 people working in the Thai sex industry.

Some of these women are engaged in sex work because they have no other way to make money, others have been forced into the industry, and many are trafficked to Thailand from other countries. ..."

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 08339.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Escaping the clutches of sex trafficking in Thailand

Post by 404cameljockey »

Shocking but just as bad in other countries though. There are regular stories of Pakistani, Bangladeshi, etc women locked in apartments in Dubai 24/7 and forced to prostitute themselves. It comes to light in the newpapers when one jumps out of a window to try to escape, and ends up dead or in hospital.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Escaping the clutches of sex trafficking in Thailand

Post by Spitfire »

Nothing special about Thailand regarding this...happening everywhere to be honest.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol