Blacks targeted in Bangkok street raid

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Blacks targeted in Bangkok street raid

Post by buksida »

More than 80 foreigners were detained during a combined military and police raid in Bangkok’s red light district Thursday night.

The operation in Soi Nana 4 – which was not backed by a court warrant – was specifically targeting “black people,” according to the commander of the raid. Seventeen people ended up being charged with visa violations.

“We have received complaints from both residents and foreign tourists that there was prostitution and black people plotting criminal acts in the area,” Surachet Hakpan, head of the 191 emergency response unit, said by phone Friday. “They caused a nuisance to people in the area.”

A force of about 100 military and police officers raided the district at about 2am. More than 80 people were detained then given drug tests. One person tested positive for narcotics use, police said.

Seventeen people also lacked relevant travel documents or had overstayed their visa, Maj. Gen. Surachet said. They were subsequently charged with visa violations and sent to an immigration detention center, pending deportation.

When inquired about the suspects’ nationalities, Surachet described them as “Africans,” though he later added that most were Ugandan nationals.

“The operation was meant to build confidence and a sense of security for people and tourists in the area,” the major general said. “When tourists walk around the area, these people nag them, to buy goods, or to solicit prostitution.”

He added that officers did not obtain any court warrant for the raid, since it was led by soldiers who acted on a special order granted by the junta, which allows them to detain individuals and search properties without a warrant.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... -soi-nana/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Blacks targeted in Bangkok street raid

Post by 404cameljockey »

See a problem, fix a problem. TIT. In France for so long it's been scary to walk under the Eiffel Tower due to aggressive (semi-threatening) behaviour of the hordes (no exaggeration) of exclusively African trinket sellers, who run away when the police arrive.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Sounds racist, but the truth is that much of the street drug trade is dominated by Africans
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Interesting how one can find news that fits an agenda.

This version doesn't use the term blacks, nor does it mention Uganda.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30320736
buksida

Post by buksida »

No agenda, I'm just reposting an article to generate a discussion.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

buksida wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm No agenda, I'm just reposting an article to generate a discussion.
Sorry for sounding accussatory, I get my feathers ruffled whenever the race card gets played.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

RCer you're discriminated against all the time in Thailand and that's not going to change any time soon.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

kendo wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 pm RCer you're discriminated against all the time in Thailand and that's not going to change any time soon.
I don't care about that. I'm not Thai.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm No agenda, I'm just reposting an article to generate a discussion.
Sorry for sounding accussatory, I get my feathers ruffled whenever the race card gets played.
Not meaning to insult you in any way, but it's a fact that many people's feathers get ruffled as soon as race is brought up in any discussion, let alone when pointing a demographic finger at which crimes are committed by which groups of people. The reasons for crime are clearly important too, but facts are facts. :)

PS playing the race card' only describes when someone tries to avoid culpability for something by making accusations of racism against their accuser. Just for clarification!