5,000 potential 'Grenfell Towers' in Bangkok

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: 5,000 potential 'Grenfell Towers' in Bangkok

Post by PeteC »

The first thing they should look at here is to assure ground level fire exit doors aren't chained shut to prevent hotel guests from escaping without paying their bill. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: That used to be common practice and cost lives in the Royal Jomtien Resort hotel fire of 1997. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:23 pm The first thing they should look at here is to assure ground level fire exit doors aren't chained shut to prevent hotel guests from escaping without paying their bill. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: That used to be common practice and cost lives in the Royal Jomtien Resort hotel fire of 1997. Pete
Yes, I remember that well - I was working at the NFC plant in Rayong at the time - terrible.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

But, But, But they not pay!

In my Condo in Bangkok they installed a fire alarm system a couple, maybe three years ago. Every week for the first year the idiots were "testing" it without any warning. It then became about once a month, and now I cannot recall WHEN it was last tested. If it is ever used because of a fire nobody will take any notice of it. I wrote several complaints to the "management" but they were ignored.

Exit doors, all of them glass without push bars on them, ALL swing inwards. I also complained about this and they actually wrote back saying that the doors did not need to swing OUTWARDS. They also have electronic locks on them which should release automatically if the fire alarm goes off, but that one is just too hard to comprehend!

These same people proudly announced that the leaking water supply pipes would be replaced with black pipes as galvanised piping corrodes! They are in fact replacing some of it right now with black piping.

It is the same with emergency lighting. We have aback up generator that feeds the lifts, the fire pump and some common area lighting. The lamps burn out in the emergency stairwells, and it takes a complaint to have them replaced.

You have to take your own precautions. I always keep a flashlight handy, especially if I am staying in a hotel somewhere.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!