BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by mariad »

so the lawyer wants to sue for highlighting his wrong doings. Amazing.
buksida

Post by buksida »

BBC journalist on trial for Thailand crime reporting
A British BBC journalist appeared in a Thai court on Wednesday for the start of a criminal defamation trial brought by a lawyer who featured in an investigation about foreigners being scammed of their retirement homes.

Jonathan Head, the BBC's Southeast Asia correspondent, faces up to five years in jail at the private prosecution on the popular tourist island of Phuket.Rights groups have said the case exposes how Thailand's broad defamation and computer crime laws scupper investigative journalism and make it difficult to uncover wrongdoing in an endemically corrupt country.

The prosecution was sparked by a 2015 report by Head detailing how two foreign retirees had Phuket properties stolen from them by a network of criminals and corrupt officials. One of the victims, British national Ian Rance, is a joint defendant in the prosecution. Both have pleaded not guilty. The man bringing the prosecution is Pratuan Thanarak, a local lawyer who featured in the BBC's report looking at how Rance lost $1.2 million worth of properties.

According to the report, Pratuan admitted on tape to certifying Rance's signature without him being present, a move which helped the British retiree's then wife transfer his properties out of his name. She was later convicted and jailed for the scam. A copy of Pratuan's complaint seen by AFP alleges that the BBC's report caused him to be "defamed, insulted or hated". It does not detail whether he notarised the signature without Rance being present.

Pratuan declined to speak about the case on the way into court. He warned gathered photographers that he would file a lawsuit against anyone who published images of him. Neither Head nor Rance spoke to reporters on their way into the Phuket court on Wednesday. In a previous statement the BBC has said it "stands by its journalism" and that they "intend to clear the name of our correspondent". Rance and Head face one charge of criminal defamation, which carries up to two years in jail.

Head faces an additional charge under Thailand's Computer Crimes Act, a broadly-worded law which forbids uploading "false data" online and carries a five-year maximum jail penalty. Unlike most countries where defamation is a civil crime, in Thailand it is a criminal offence. Private citizens can also launch their own prosecutions and they are not forced to pay costs if they lose.

Similar cases have been brought in recent years. Local news site Phuketwan closed down in 2015 after running out of money in its successful bid to defeat a suit brought by Thailand's navy. Andrew Drummond, a British crime reporter, left the country the same year because of multiple cases brought by those he exposed as did British labour rights activist Andy Hall in 2016.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30324659
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just another example to the world showing the stupidity being enacted in Thailand.
He warned gathered photographers that he would file a lawsuit against anyone who published images of him.
I do believe the photographer owns the copyright to such a pic but TIT...

It seems that by reporting/uncovering a crime can result in a criminal charge and jail.
If the lawyer wins this case, it means the law can and does protect wrong-doers.

Only in Thailand!!
bluelagoon

Post by bluelagoon »

The case is real scary. Farangs seem brave to still buy property under leasehold, in such a lawless environment!
Nonsense is better then no sense :laugh:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

With the media controling thinking and only reporting what supports their agenda in the west, I find it refreshing to see them being brought to court in a place that does not tolerate their idea of "freedom of the press".

I remember when they had morals and only stated an opinion after they told you it was their opinion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

RCer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm With the media controling thinking and only reporting what supports their agenda in the west, I find it refreshing to see them being brought to court in a place that does not tolerate their idea of "freedom of the press".

I remember when they had morals and only stated an opinion after they told you it was their opinion.
Are you for real?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 pm
RCer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm With the media controling thinking and only reporting what supports their agenda in the west, I find it refreshing to see them being brought to court in a place that does not tolerate their idea of "freedom of the press".

Are you for real?
Ever had your life endangered because media couldn't resist something juicy?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

NO
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 pmNO
Good. I have and I have very strong feelings about it. I also knew several that lost their lives because of similar actions by the media.

They only care about notariety and money. No morals at all.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Similar to what, exactly?

Let's stick to the subject of this thread, which is not the morality of the press in general, but a specific case and a specific journalist.

Are you saying journalists should not investigate and expose corruption, and are you applauding the Thai government for trying to prevent this?
This is the way
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 pm Similar to what, exactly?

Let's stick to the subject of this thread, which is not the morality of the press in general, but a specific case and a specific journalist.

Are you saying journalists should not investigate and expose corruption, and are you applauding the Thai government for trying to prevent this?
Its a no on both. Corruption should be investigated and exposed. I am not applauding.

What I am saying is he knew he was breaking the law and tried to hide behind his "freedom of the press" granted him by his home country.

But, he ignored the fact that protection ended when he passed through Customs. He desrves what he gets.
buksida

Post by buksida »

RCer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm But, he ignored the fact that protection ended when he passed through Customs. He desrves what he gets.
Do the poor bastards that lost all of their savings/property as a result of this 'lawyer' also deserve it?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

The press in general here is under a lot of scrutiny and pressure. The BBC guy is 'low hanging fruit' for the accusers and an opportunity to be made an example of without too much blow-back locally.....but it could well backfire imo.

We'll see what happens.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41023226 Case dropped against Jonathan Head
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:28 am http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41023226 Case dropped against Jonathan Head
But they're hanging on to the easy target, who is clearly the less guilty according to Thai law. Still, according to Rcer he obviously should have known what he was getting into when he made a complaint a corrupt lawyer and deserves what he gets... :roll:

I hope the BBC will support Ian Rance.
This is the way