Death penalty for corrupt politicians mulled

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Death penalty for corrupt politicians mulled

Post by buksida »

Death penalty 'too harsh' for political-post buying
A proposal to impose a maximum penalty of death against politicians involved in selling and buying political positions under the draft organic law on political parties has been opposed by a National Legislative Assembly (NLA) deputy chairman.

Peerasak Porjit voiced his disagreement with the Constitution Drafting Committee's (CDC) proposal, while at the same time some academics threw their full support behind the proposal, saying the death penalty "will keep corrupt individuals out of politics".

CDC chairman Meechai Ruchupan explained Thursday that the maximum penalty of death proposed in the organic law on political parties was aimed at deterring corrupt people from getting involved in politics.

He believes such a measure would deter some people from paying money in exchange for ministerial positions.

Those who demand money would face a maximum penalty of death while those who pay the money for positions would also face severe punishment.

The Election Commission (EC) would be responsible for investigating these cases and the public can also file complaints with the EC, Mr Meechai said, adding that a death penalty proposal will also be included in the draft organic law on anti-corruption, which will replace current anti-graft legislation.

Mr Peerasak said the CDC should take into account the legal principle that the punishment of an offender should be in proportion to the severity of the crime. It should be left to the courts to judge how an offender should be punished, he said.

Mr Peerasak added the death penalty has been abolished in several countries, and it would be best for the CDC to bear in mind international best practice. He also said that while Thai laws are progressive, law enforcement sometimes is not strict.

Source: Bangkok Post

Thought: Well there would be no politicians left if they passed the penalty ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Re: Death penalty for corrupt politicians mulled

Post by lomuamart »

That was in the news a little while ago but has obviously raised its head again. Meanwhile, hisos get away with manslaughter on the roads just because they can by offering some blood money, joining a temple for 5 minutes or running away.
More and more these days, comparisons are drawn between this country and China. I wonder how many corrupt politicians have got a bullet in the back of the head over there? A lot. I wonder whether this Thai person has actually thought things through.
Sure, people in positions of power need to be chastised, but death? I'm not sure about that.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I notice that the military always give themselves immunity from civil law whilst in political power.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

The key to resolving the issue lays not with the death penalty but rather the last six words of Mr Peerasak comments in the article " law enforcement sometimes is not strict." Perhaps some capacity building in the enforcement area and judicial process would have greater deterrent effect
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

No need to stretch their necks. Just confiscate their assets starting with their cars. Much worse fate than death for most of them!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

if the death penalty were a deterrent for crime there would be no crime. or maybe we could have all crimes be subject to the death penalty, that may eliminate petty crimes. after all if you're going to hang for robbing a 7/11 you may as well go for Bangkok bank.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

that's one way to eliminate the opposition: try them, convict them and put them to death for political malfeasance. it could be an adjunct to the defamation law. will Thailand go the way of other dictatorships? don't buy property yet.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Actually I think if a politician loses reelection then hit him with the death penalty. May be an incentive to do some good.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote:if the death penalty were a deterrent for crime there would be no crime. or maybe we could have all crimes be subject to the death penalty, that may eliminate petty crimes. after all if you're going to hang for robbing a 7/11 you may as well go for Bangkok bank.
It would be a deterant if it didn't come with 20 years of appeals.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

IMHO, the best comment up there is just to take their cars away.
They'll fall around on the ground, froth at the mouth, become a monk, offer the poorer family 5 THB, threaten them with defamation and death.
And they still get away with it.
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

By following internaiomal standards does he include having a primary healthcare system, a fit for purpose education system? Perhaps he means having a well trained and well paid police service? What about anti racism measures? Thailand has never concerned itself with international standards.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote:
handdrummer wrote:if the death penalty were a deterrent for crime there would be no crime. or maybe we could have all crimes be subject to the death penalty, that may eliminate petty crimes. after all if you're going to hang for robbing a 7/11 you may as well go for Bangkok bank.
appeals aside the death penalty has been around for thousands of years and we still have increasing crime.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote:
RCer wrote:
appeals aside the death penalty has been around for thousands of years and we still have increasing crime.
I tried to edit my comment, it was targeted strictly at the US version.

Also, keep in mind the "politicians" part of the subject.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote:
handdrummer wrote:
RCer wrote: It would be a deterant if it didn't come with 20 years of appeals.
I tried to edit my comment, it was targeted strictly at the US version.

Also, keep in mind the "politicians" part of the subject.
ok, I see that. I'd like politicians to be held to a higher standard than everyone else and in the case of politicians I'd be willing to forego my objections to the death penalty. :laugh:
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

'..to bear in mind international best practice'
That sounds so terribly 'yesterday' - a homogeneous world run by lawyers and technocrats? - no more I think..

National pride and identity has the upper hand now.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...