Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Post by buksida »

Hua Hin police and administrative officials will finally take action on 52 structures encroaching on the city’s beach, two years after a court ruling.

The buildings, comprising seafood restaurants, guesthouses and homes, are located from the Fishing Pier on the northern end of Naresdamri Road, which runs parallel to the beach, to Chaomae Tubtim Shrine.

Pol Col Chatchai Riamek, acting commander of Prachuap Khiri Khan provincial police, said on Monday the Prachuap Khiri Khan Provincial Court ruled in 2014 in a case brought by the Hua Hin Municipality and the Marine Department in 2003 that owners of the 52 buildings had violated the 1979 Building Control Act and had to dismantle the structures.

The court also issued arrest warrants for several of the defendants for failing to comply with the Supreme Court's ruling. However, police have not arrested any of them while the Hua Hin municipality has yet to enforce the demolition order.

Pol Col Chatchai said he had instructed Hua Hin police chief, Pol Col Chaiyakorn Sriladaecho, to coordinate with the municipality and report the progress in the case.

Hua Hin district chief Sutthipong Khlai-udom said a joint team of officials would descend on the encroached beach and expedite law enforcement on charges of encroaching on public land and polluting sea water.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1 ... ncroachers
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Big Boy »

It must be a bad news day if they're running that one again. We know it isn't going to happen....................... is it?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well they say that money talks and in this case it may be more of a case of who has the biggest purse strings rather that the biggest balls - the fact that it's in the main newspapers is added pressure on the owners of the properties!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

so all the seafood piers are due for demlition?? big tourist attraction, its what ALL my bkk friends want to do when they come.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh good, if its going to keep a few Bangkokians away, lets hope they do it this time.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's been over 12 years since the original eviction notices were served. Maybe this time it will happen!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I hope it doesn't happen. They've been established for so long and are very popular and I wonder what will replace them? Does anyone know when they first went up? They were here when I first visited in January 2000.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe there could be a compromise. Give the owners a chance to buy the beachfront land they have stolen. After all, they've been making a good living from their ill gotten gains.

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

If it happens it will put the price of the property inland of the road through the roof! From my understanding this is owned by the same big HH families so in the end there may be some good with us getting a nicer promenade with more resteraunts, bars and hotels.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Farewell good Thai cooks, hello burger flippers.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The original plan was to demolish all the beachfront buildings and open up the beach as it is in Cha-am. I know at least one who opened a bar on the other side of the street thinking he would have a beachfront bar! The original eviction notice was for 60 days. A delegation went to Bangkok and the eviction was changed to 1 year's notice.

Since then - nothing!
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

First came to Hua Hin in 1984. They were there then and even then ripping off tourists when they could get away with it.

They look just as old and decrepid in 1984.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Big Boy wrote:It must be a bad news day if they're running that one again. We know it isn't going to happen....................... is it?
Well BigBoy the day I can walk from our families house on Naebkehardt Road to the Hilton without any obstructions like those restaurants, is the day I will believe it. :wink:
I would love to be able to walk along a nice, clean promenade into town, but as many have said, money talks.
That has been the case when they were first built back in the very early 80's and is still true now!

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

So they've been there from the early 80's. That's some oversight by the authorities, wonder how that could have happened? :roll:

What about the other places on the sea facing side of the road. Are they illegal as well?
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've a suspicion that the Junta's enthusiasm for clearing away land encroachments around the country are more about removing potential revenue from local politicians before any elections, rather than an attempt to improve the environment.